Jan 23, 2013 free podcast: How To Grow Your Own Superfoods. Also: the benefits of training in the heat, does a minimalist training schedule work, the best way to treat IBS and constipation, how to stay fit and feel good while pregnant, and are plyometrics more effective after lifting weights?
Have a podcast question for Ben? Click the tab on the right side of this page, call 1-877-209-9439, Skype “pacificfit” or scroll down to the “Ask Ben” form.
Please don't forget to leave the podcast a ranking in iTunes – it only takes a minute of your time and it helps grow our healthy community!
- One reason why Boron WILL be included in the new multivitamin I am designing.
- Moving a lighter weight slower (i.e. A “Body By Science” approach) can still grow muscle.
- Electrical stimulation CAN give you an aerobic response-1 hr, 3x/wk, placed on major leg muscles.
- Wanna make your kids vitamins?
- If you're doing cold thermogenesis, then green tea, caffeine or ginger before may enhance fat loss results.
- Chewing caffeinated gum can help cycling performance & here's a brand guide.
DATE CHANGE – Thursday, January 31, 12pm PST: Heat Prep For Cold Climate Athletes. In this webinar presentation, Ben Greenfield will teach you the science of the body’s physiological response to heat. You’ll learn how cold climate athletes who are non heat-acclimated can prepare for hot races via the research-proven use of body cooling gear, heat acclimation strategies, hydration strategies, dietary supplements, food choices and more. All USAT coaches are eligible for CEU’s from this course. Get in now.
Thursday, January 31: Join Ben for a LIVE Q&A on Jimmy Moore's “Ask The Low Carb Experts“ to discuss low carb diets and performance. Tune in Thursday night at 4PST/7EST! Call 712-432-0900 or Skype freeconferencing. 7124320900. Use access code 848908.
Get featured on the podcast by creating your own MyList – here's what to do (did I mention that it's free?):
- Create your own “MyList” list that targets your passion in health, fitness or nutrition (gear, tools, supplements or anything else),
- Share your MyList right here by leaving a link to it in the comments section at the bottom of the page,
- I'll choose the best list, and contact you for an interview about why you chose the items on your list.
Want to get lots of new customers in the health, fitness and nutrition industries? Sponsor Ben's upcoming “Become Superhuman” Live Event? Full event sponsor details.
“Become Superhuman” Live Event With Ben Greenfield Coming To Spokane, WA, March 8 & 9, 2013 – Reserve your spot now! The video below tells you all about it and/or you can listen to this audio interview from the Wide World Of Health to learn more.
2013 training camps:
- February 22 to 28: Winter Triathlon Camp in Austin.
- March 2 to 8: Winter Triathlon Camp in Florida.
- April 5 to 7: Wildflower Camp.
- April 14: Vietnam Trip (details TBA). The Laguna Lang Co Triathlon aims to build on the success of its sister event, the legendary Laguna Phuket Triathlon. Register for the race.
- Nov-Dec: Ben's Annual Trip to Thailand (details TBA). Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want in – it will fill up fast!
As compiled, edited and sometimes read by Brock, the Ben Greenfield Fitness Podcast “sidekick”.
Audio Question from Adam @ 00:25:16
Wants to know if it is smart to train in the morning when it is cooler or to train in the heat of the day (thinking back to a study that showed heat training had similar benefits to training at altitude). Also, would it differ depending on the type of workout (speed vs. base training). The marathon he is training for is not in any extreme heat.
Audio Question from Dee @ 00:35:14
Has heard Ben talk about minimalist run training that doesn't require you to run as much mileage as traditional training programs do. She has completed 4 marathons following the Hal Higdon plan. Would like to know more about the minimalistic training idea because she is not sold on it and thinks she would do better on the higher mileage plans. She has PRed at every race while actually increasing her training mileage.
Audio Question from Johnny @ 00:40:01
He is looking for advice on what to grow in his garden to give him the most bang for his buck. He wants the “most superhuman fit garden as possible”. Blueberries grow well where he lives – should he use the entire space (40 x 20 feet) for blueberries?
~ In my response to Johnny, I mention “Azomite“.
Audio Question from Bob @ 00:47:44
He read the article on the website “The Fibre Menace” and finds it very misleading and contrary to what he has experienced. He has IBS and Constipation and gets a lot of relief from psyllium husk powder but not from vegetables. He would like to get your opinion on the paper written Yikyung Park about fibre as a treatment for cancer among other benefits.
Audio Question from Frances @ 00:54:07
She is 35 years old and currently 9 weeks pregnant with her second baby. She has heard that she should be able to remain at the same activity level as she was before the pregnancy but she is currently having trouble lifting her head off the couch. What can she do to try stay in the best condition possible so she doesn't lose all the endurance she built training for last year's NYC Marathon (she was in the best shape of her life). Also, she would like to know about any natural mood boosters that are safe for pregnancy. She is depressed and anxious and has insomnia.
~ In my response to Frances I reference this interview with Cassandra Forsythe. Also this article on core exercises for pregnancy. For mental function, I recommend: Alpha-GPC, Glutamine, Acetyl L Carnitine, Phosphatidylserine, Low Blue Lights, and Better Baby book.
Audio Question from Isaac @ 01:03:01
Would a plyometrics, speed and quickness workout be even more effective if done after a hard lower body weight lifting session? You've talked about doing an explosive exercise immediately after lifting but he is wondering about and entire plyo set after a an entire weight session.
~ In my response to Isaac I mention:
- Triglyeride based fish oil for enhanced nerve function, 2-4g/day. Recommend SuperEssentials and TwinLab Cod Liver Oil.
- Choline – 250-500mg daily – Recommend TwinLabs.
- L-Tyrosine – 0.5-2g, 20-45 minutes prior – Recommend NOW Foods.
- Green Tea Extract – 400-500mg EGCG equivalent per day. Recommend delta-E.
- Vitamin B Complex. Recommend delta-E.