Welcome to Ben Greenfield's Weekly Roundup and Cool New Discoveries!
Ben Greenfield's discoveries, from the latest news on the fronts of fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, biohacking, and anti-aging research. I also recap my upcoming events and special announcements so you can keep up with giveaways, discounts, and more!
New Discoveries Of The Week: Cool New Things I'm Trying, Books I'm Reading, And More!
A Crazy Colombian Meat Recipe To Impress Your Friends
Translated as “beef tenderloin in a towel,” Lomo al Trapo is made by wrapping a big chunk of beef tenderloin in a thick crust of salt swaddled in a towel, tying it up, and throwing it directly on a fire until it's cooked. It's one of the easiest, most foolproof, primally delicious, and downright impressive methods of cooking beef I've ever seen.
All this dish requires is a few simple ingredients, a few basic kitchen supplies, and a fire. The thick salt crust seasons deeply and allows you to cook directly on hot coals without fear of burning the meat.
Ingredients for my own twist on this recipe:
- Belcampo beef tenderloin
- Belcampo beef Suet
- Any thick, coarse salt
- Fresh rosemary sprig
- Spent, dried coffee & MiCacao grounds
- Spread a layer of salt at least 1/2 inch thick on a wine-soaked towel, starting about 1 inch up from the leading edge and progressing back about 12 inches, leaving a 2-inch space on either side.
- Scatter rosemary and cacao and coffee ground grounds over salt and place beef directly on top of the edge closest to you.
- Carefully roll the beef up until it is completely surrounded in salt/herb/grounds mixture. Tuck the leading side of the towel into the roll, fold in the sides to form a neat package, then continue rolling until the beef is completely wrapped in the towel.
- Using butcher's twine, secure the package at 1- to 2-inch intervals, tying as tightly as possible.
- Place beef directly on fire coals. Cook for 8-10 minutes. Flip beef and continue cooking until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the deepest part of the package registers 95°F for rare or 105°F for medium-rare.
- When ready to serve, carefully crack open the crust with the back of a knife, reserve some of the smoky salt for serving, and discard the burnt cloth and remaining salt. Use the back of your knife or a pastry brush to remove any excess salt. Slice tenderloin and serve with ají or chimichurri as desired.
By the way, my firepit, which reads “For our God is a consuming fire. Hebrews 12:29” was custom-made by the incredibly talented Scott Schumake at Solid Fire Pits. You can get your own custom-made firepit here, and save 10% with code BENG.
Let me know in the comments section if you've tried Lomo al Trapo, or if you plan to now!
New Way To “Structure” Your Water On The Go
If you listened to my podcast with Gary Greenfield or Tracy Duhs, then you know the importance of drinking structured water. Even if there are no health benefits whatsoever, which some skeptics think, the change in the flavor of any water, wine, scotch, beer or anything else you structure (including coffee that you make with structured water) is vastly amplified by the structuring process. The new Copper Handheld Vortexor designed by my father Gary Greenfield is a low-cost, simple, and effective option for structuring your water directly from your tap or on the go.
To use this thing, you simply pour water (or any other liquid) into the device and it is immediately structured as it comes out the other side—improving its taste and energetics. Comprised of copper, glass, and stainless steel the Copper Handheld Vortexor also contains a blend of minerals embedded in food-grade silicone for optimal structuring. I'm hooked on pouring my Pellegrino through the Vortexor and the change in taste is nothing short of amazing.
Podcasts I Recorded This Week:
This episode was brought to you by The Boundless Cookbook (Pre-order today), Kion Clean Energy Bars (code BGF20), Organifi Green Juice (code BENG20), Water and Wellness (code GREENFIELD) and Beekeeper's Naturals (code BEN).
Ben Greenfield's VIP Text Club: To receive exclusive texts from Ben Greenfield, text the word “FITNESS” to 411247 (within the U.S. only).
Articles I Published This Week:
My full article feed and all past archives of my articles are here if you want to check out past articles.
::: Save 50% On ReNew Life RX Complete Lab Test, Blood Draw, & Consultation :::
Are you eating right, working out regularly, but still not seeing results?
If so, when was the last time you checked your testosterone, estrogen, red and white blood cell count, DHEA, and beyond?
If you happened to catch my podcast “Testosterone Replacement Therapy, Hormone Testing 101, Spot-Reducing Fat Loss Cream, The Benjamin Button Longevity Cocktail & Much More” with Adam Lamb, then you're already aware that concierge hormone optimization and telemedicine are becoming increasingly popular (not to mention, convenient) for optimizing your health.
Adam's company, ReNew Life RX, has been in the hormone optimization space for a long time now. In an ever-changing industry, he states, “We are obsessed with finding a better way. Aggregating patient data along with regular patient communication is the key to the most desired outcomes for patients health and service satisfaction.”
ReNew Life RX doesn't just give you your lab results then send you on your merry way to figure out for yourself how to implement positive, meaningful changes. Instead, they offer a “one-stop-shop,” including:
- ReNew Life RX Comprehensive Lab Panel™…
- Blood draw by a LabCorp location near you…
- A consultation reviewing your results and personalized solutions to fix any hormonal issues…
Just click here and use code BEN50 (case sensitive) to receive 50% off your in-depth lab panel and initial consultation.
::: An Entirely New Cooking Experience: The Boundless Cookbook :::
You've discovered a new diet, so you tinker with a few Paleo, Carnivore, or Keto recipes for a bit, then you get bored, frustrated, or just tired of the food and give up and watch all of your progress disappear.
Today, I’m putting all of that to an end as I finally unveil my top-secret project I've been working on: the Boundless Cookbook. Yes, I’ve been holed away in my secret Batman lab kitchen testing all manner of superfoods, fringe ingredients, recipe twists, molecular gastronomy, and a whole lot more to bring you this new and unique culinary guide.
Here’s what you’ll discover inside:
- Never-seen-before biohacking recipes that will invigorate your body.
- How to prepare nutrient-dense wild game, fish, and organ meats that taste like heaven.
- My secret mouthwatering rubs, salts, and marinades that give your muscles and nervous system the building blocks they need to operate at peak performance.
- My best tips on preparing smoothies and cocktails that will boost your muscle cell growth, help you eliminate brain fog, and reduce inflammation in your body.
- My drive and energy-stimulating superfood concoctions, which will boost your sex drive and take intimacy with your partner to a new high.
- Guilt-free, healthy desserts from my wife and twin boys that actually taste good and don’t take your blood glucose and insulin on a rollercoaster ride.
- All of that, and much, much more!
Featured Product: Kion Flex
Whether you’re an athlete, outdoor enthusiast, or looking to feel your best as you age, joint health is key to maintaining an active lifestyle. Kion Flex is a natural supplement for joint health that’s been proven to:
- Reduce mild, temporary joint discomfort from overuse…
- Decrease exercise-related soreness and swelling…
- Support a healthy inflammatory response to physical activity…
- And promote optimal joint health, flexibility, and mobility.*
Kion Flex is powered by Turmacin®, the first water-soluble extract of turmeric to contain turmerosaccharides, which support a balanced inflammatory response to physical activity and have unique benefits for joints; AyuFlex®, a non-GMO, organic extract of the Ayurvedic superfruit, Haritaki that has unique joint health benefits that support whole-body joint function and help you move more freely; and proteolytic enzymes, which can facilitate the recovery process and help you bounce back faster from your daily activities.
*The FDA hasn't evaluated these statements. Kion products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
This Week's Most Popular Instagram Post
This Week's Most Popular Tweet:
My Most Popular Facebook Post This Week:
Leave your comments and any news or discoveries that you think I missed below!