Welcome to Ben Greenfield's Weekly Roundup and Cool New Discoveries!
Ben Greenfield's discoveries, from the latest news on the fronts of fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, biohacking, and anti-aging research. I also recap my upcoming events and special announcements so you can keep up with giveaways, discounts, and more!
New Discoveries Of The Week: Cool New Things I'm Trying, Books I'm Reading, And More!
The Most Flavorful, Crispy Poultry EVER!
Duck confit is one of my favorite dishes when I’m eating out at a fancy restaurant. But, I recently got to thinking…why don’t I figure out how to make this dish myself, using a more common poultry you’d find in your kitchen: chicken!
OK, so first, what the heck is confit?
The website SeriousEats.com describes it this way…
…”The word confit (pronounced “kon-FEE”) derives from the French verb confire, which simply means to preserve. Traditionally, confit simply refers to any sort of preserved food, whether it's meat, fruit, or vegetables. This preservation takes place by slowly cooking food in a liquid that is inhospitable to bacterial growth. With fruits, this is generally a very concentrated sugar syrup; with meats and vegetables, a pure fat. Once cooked, the food is then packed into containers and completely submerged in the liquid, creating an impenetrable barrier and preventing any further bacterial growth. Since the just-cooked food is nearly sterile as it is submerged and is cut off from any potential bacterial contamination sources, it can be thusly stored for a very long time indeed. Properly confit'ed duck legs, for instance, can last several weeks in a cool room, several months in a refrigerator. Confit fruit can last for years…Confit is to deep fat frying what barbecue is to grilling. Low and slow versus fast and furious.”
What they fail to mention is that the 6-8 hour slow-cooking process in fat or lard or some other preferably heat-stable oil like avocado or macadamia nut oil will result in the most mouth-watering, flavorful, juicy, crispy poultry you’ll ever bite into—especially if you give it a quick sear in a pan or broil for a few minutes to get the skin even crispier afterward. In fat, meats cook and tenderize with virtually no moisture loss or flavor loss.
So…that’s what I did!
This recipe is so simple and SO GOOD…and here’s how it goes:
- Into a big ol’ dutch pot, put a whole chicken (I used a pastured chicken from Belcampo Meats…save 20% off your first order with my code GREENFIELD20).
- Cover the chicken in spices and herbs, then put the lid on the pot and put it in the fridge for 12-14 hours. This will help you get crispier skin and dry the chicken a bit so it absorbs more fat. For spices, I used salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, paprika, dill, and bay leaves.
- Take the chicken out, discard any juices in the bottom of the pot, then cover the chicken in your fat of choice. I used beef suet, coconut oil, and lard. Extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, etc. could also work. Drench that baby!
- Put the lid on the chicken and put it into an oven or grill (I used my Traeger Grill which gives a really nice even cook) at 220°F for about 8 hours.
- Remove from heat, and either a) refrigerate the entire pot, fat and all, to broil or fry the chicken at any point you want a quick tasty bite. This dish will stay good for over a week in your fridge, or b) fry in a cast-iron skillet with some of the fat, or put into a roasting pan and broil for about 6-8 minutes to get the skin super crispy (that’s my favorite method).
Bite into this dish and tell me you haven’t ever had a better bird…I’d be shocked (unless you frequent fancy French restaurants on the regular, I s’pose)! ;)
OK, anybody else out there try confit? If so, how do you do it? Leave a comment. And, more importantly, perhaps, have you grabbed my new cookbook yet at BoundlessCookbook.com? It’s got tons of cool recipes like this one. Go grab it! You’ll love it!
The New Breath & Fitness Course I Did With My Kids Last Week
Last year, I took my kids through a 5-week mash-up of breathwork training combined with Wim Hof protocols and cold plunges. Our instructor for that course, which was all conducted online via audios and videos, was my friend and former podcast guest Niraj Naik, who I interviewed in the show “The Renegade Pharmacist: How To Increase The Effects Of Psilocybin, The Secrets Of Colostrum, Fixing Constipation With Breathwork & More.”
Niraj recently launched a new, shorter course called SomaFit, which primarily focuses on breath-hold time (BHT), carbon dioxide retention, and nitric oxide production—along with some pretty cool exercise and sleep enhancement strategies. I took my 13-year-old twin sons through it last week, and it was incredible.
For example, my own BHT—which, in the course, you discover is a big marker of health and longevity—increased by nearly 20 seconds (up to 52 seconds!) over the duration of the course. It was such a fun (and simple) experience that not only do I plan on doing a repeat podcast with Niraj about it. So stay tuned for that, and in the meantime, if you want to try this course out for yourself you can click here and enter code GREENFIELD for 10% off.
Podcasts I Recorded This Week:
This episode was brought to you by Kion Omega (code BGF20), Organifi Red Juice (code BENG20), Thrive Market (Get a gift card worth up to $20 when you begin a new membership), and Water and Wellness (code GREENFIELD).
Ben Greenfield's VIP Text Club: To receive exclusive texts from Ben Greenfield, text the word “FITNESS” to 411247 (within the U.S. only).
Articles I Published This Week:
My full article feed and all past archives of my articles are here if you want to check out past articles.
Podcasts I Was Featured On This Week:
::: High-Quality, Eco-Friendly, Affordable Products from Public Goods :::
Public Goods is a one-stop-shop for sustainable, high-quality everyday essentials made from clean ingredients at an affordable price.
Rather than buying from a bunch of single-product brands, Public Goods members can buy all of their premium essentials in one place with one beautiful, streamlined aesthetic.
They ethically source and obsessively develop each of their products to be free of unhealthy ingredients and harmful additives. Public Goods is committed to making their products healthy and safe for humans, animals, and the environment. They also plant one tree for every order placed and incorporate sustainability into every part of the company.
Public Goods is so confident that you will love their products that they're giving you $15 to spend on your first purchase with no obligation. Plus, right now, receive your choice of either a free pack of bamboo straws or reusable food storage wraps with your order.
::: Join Me For My First Ever Transformation Challenge! :::
The challenge runs from April 19th to May 31st, and over the course of 6 weeks, you will be guided to optimize every aspect of your physical fitness, diet, sleep, relationships, and beyond.
You'll experience lightning-quick fat-loss results—minus all of the confusion and damage that many other weight loss programs offer.
Additionally, you will learn everything you need to know in order to…
- Create a healthy living environment so you are not constantly bombarded by the health disruptors of modern society.
- Train using the minimum effective dose so you don’t need to spend hours crushing it in the gym.
- Decode what you should and shouldn’t eat to maximize fat loss.
- Sleep better than ever before and wake up feeling energized.
- Properly utilize cold exposure for a variety of benefits, including becoming lean, defying aging, and more.
- Become in tune with a mindfulness practice and emphasis on relationships to create a deep-rooted foundation that will allow for lasting, positive change.
This is the perfect chance to build an optimized routine and the discipline needed to sustain results with the support of my coaches and a community of like-minded challenge champions.
::: An Entirely New Cooking Experience: The Boundless Cookbook :::
You've discovered a new diet, so you tinker with a few Paleo, Carnivore, or Keto recipes for a bit, then you get bored, frustrated, or just tired of the food and give up and watch all of your progress disappear.
Today, I’m putting all of that to an end as I finally unveil my top-secret project I've been working on: the Boundless Cookbook. Yes, I’ve been holed away in my secret Batman lab kitchen testing all manner of superfoods, fringe ingredients, recipe twists, molecular gastronomy, and a whole lot more to bring you this new and unique culinary guide.
Here’s what you’ll discover inside:
- Never-seen-before biohacking recipes that will invigorate your body.
- How to prepare nutrient-dense wild game, fish, and organ meats that taste like heaven.
- My secret mouthwatering rubs, salts, and marinades that give your muscles and nervous system the building blocks they need to operate at peak performance.
- My best tips on preparing smoothies and cocktails that will boost your muscle cell growth, help you eliminate brain fog, and reduce inflammation in your body.
- My drive and energy-stimulating superfood concoctions, which will boost your sex drive and take intimacy with your partner to a new high.
- Guilt-free, healthy desserts from my wife and twin boys that actually taste good and don’t take your blood glucose and insulin on a rollercoaster ride.
- All of that, and much, much more!
Featured Product: Kion Omega
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential to your well-being. They support heart health, brain function, athletic recovery, and more. The only question is…are you getting enough?
If you’re not eating at least two servings of fatty fish a week, you're likely deficient in these crucial fats.
But no need to stock up on the canned tuna. Simply supplementing with a high-quality fish oil can provide you with health-promoting omega-3s at a fraction of the cost.
Kion Omega is a concentrated, pure fish oil supplement that provides over 200% of your daily omega-3 recommendations in one serving. It's made from sustainably sourced cold-water anchovies and is naturally preserved with antioxidants. Kion Omega's triglyceride form provides up to 70% more absorption than other forms of fish oil.
*The FDA hasn't evaluated these statements. Kion products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
This Week's Most Popular Instagram Post
This Week's Most Popular Tweet:
My Most Popular Facebook Post This Week:
Leave your comments and any news or discoveries that you think I missed below!