Welcome to Ben Greenfield’s Weekly Roundup and Cool New Discoveries!
Ben Greenfield’s discoveries from the latest news from the fronts of fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, biohacking and anti-aging research. I also recap my upcoming events and special announcements so you can keep up with giveaways, discounts, and more!
New Discoveries Of The Week: Cool New Things I’m Trying, Books I’m Reading, And More!
– Shoes I’m Wearing
Xero Terraflex – Nine times out of ten, if you see me actually wearing any shoes these days, I’m wearing the black and white Terraflex from Xero. They’re basically a minimalist hiking shoe and trail running shoe all in one, but low profile enough to where I can wear them with jeans at a cocktail party or restaurant too. To me, they feel like slippers, but still let me clamber over rocks and roots. Plus they’re vegan (I don’t even know what that means) and have a 5,000 mile warranty. Grab some here.
– Exercise I’m Doing
Foam Roller Adductor Thingy – Thanks to the folks at Human Garage in LA for turning me onto this move, which breaks up adhesions in the adductors and turns on the glutes and decompresses the spine, all in one single move. About three times per week, usually during my morning stretching session, I…
A) grip a vibrating foam roller HARD between my adductors down by my knees;
B) squeeze my butt as hard as I can;
C) reach down and touch my toes while curling my vertebra down one by one;
D) hang there for a few seconds, continuing to grip with my adductors very hard;
E) stand up and reach for the sky.
…Then I move the roller a few inches up and do it again, repeating until I get the roller all the way up to my crotch, as high as it can go. I’ll do a video of this move sometime this week likely on my Instagram channel.
– Article I’m Reading
Why Are Obstacle Course Races So Popular? – As I prepare to compete down at the Spartan World Championships, this one caught my eye. The article begins like this:
“Completing a marathon has long been the ultimate feather in the cap of an amateur endurance athlete. But the idea of trotting along a boring old paved road for 26.2 miles doesn’t thrill everyone. For the endurance athlete who gets bored easily, a new genre of race has emerged—peppered with obstacles requiring feats of strength and dexterity (Crawling under barbed wire! Climbing a rope! Throwing a spear! Burpees!), and designed to be an over-the-top spectacle where participants emerge covered in mud (and maybe blood), as if they’ve survived a battle.”
Podcasts I Recorded This Week:
Every month, Ben Greenfield releases never-before-seen videos, audios and PDFs inside the BenGreenfieldFitness “Premium” channel (just $10/year to access!). You can click here to go Premium and access an entire vault of protected content!
Articles I Published This Week:
My full article feed and all past archives of my articles are here if you want to check out past articles.
Articles & Podcasts Ben Greenfield Was Featured In This Week:
::: Come Live With Me In A Mansion in Napa :::
A spot just opened up for the private RUNGA Napa retreat I am hosting this October. Join me, my wife & an intimate group of like-minded individuals for an incredible done-for-you getaway– it’s everything you would expect from a retreat designed by myself and my friend Joe Distefano and more:
- Daily mobility, movement and wellness workshops with Ben Greenfield, Scott Dolly and Joe D.I.
- Intensive breath work, cold immersion and emotional resiliency training
- One-on-one consultation with me
- Small group fitness training, including kettlebell instruction for all levels
- Kundalini yoga and vipassana meditation
- Sourdough bread-making workshop with Jessa Greenfield
- Two manual therapy sessions with Scott Dolly and integrated movement training with Julie Brautigam
- Plant based essentials and raw chocolate workshop with Emilía Rún (and her secrets to some of the world’s best raw, vegan, keto-friendly desserts)
Every year, I am blown away by the transformations that occur during the retreat. The combination of yoga, mindfulness practices, earthing, breath work, human connection, mobility and focus on our pursuit of ultimate health, sets the fertile soil for us to come into our full potential. Plus, every attendee get a free, personal 1-1 consultation with me. This spot will *NOT* last! Couples and individuals welcome! Code “BEN” at signup will get you an extra gift upon your arrival! Sign up here.
::: Learn Simple, Proven Ways to Avoid the (Actual, Real) Danger of EMF :::
Let’s cut straight to the chase: I probably don’t need to fill you in on the concept that there is great potential for constant exposure to electrical pollution, electromagnetic fields (EMF), WiFi routers, cell phone signals, cell phone towers, microwave radiation, etc.
It’s no secret that I am a bit kooky about all of this and that I’m more than a little concerned about the deleterious effects of EMF exposure. As a matter of fact, my family and I don’t even use WiFi at home– opting instead to hardwire our computers to the net.
My friend, Lloyd Burrell has put together this EMF summit where folks like myself, Dr. Mercola and more are going to cover the best strategies to protect yourself from these digital toxins, which are causing chronic inflammation and a host of other conditions. Check it out!
– October 14 – 16, 2018: SPARK BioHacking Conference, Toronto, Ontario. The 2018 SPARK Bio-Hack Conference features a series of talks by leaders across a range of fields with an eye on optimizing human performance, recovery, and longevity. Researchers, medical specialists and other biohacking experts will share provocative, informative, and inspiring presentations meant to amplify your life. Registration is now open, secure your spot here.
– October 11 – 14, 2018: 2018 RUNGA California Immersion Retreat, Napa, California. Runga is going to Napa! Join me, my wife, Jessa, Joe DiStefano and a small, intimate group of like-minded individuals for a weekend-long getaway. We’ve rented a beautiful mansion located in one of the most iconic countrysides in America– Napa Valley. We’ve thought of everything that you could possibly need to gently “press the reboot button” on your body and completely tune in to your heart, mind, body, strength, and spirit. Join the waitlist!
– November 1 – 4, 2018: Live It To Lead It Health Centers of the Future Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada. Create the life you want, the marriage you want, the family you want—all fueled by a practice that radically changes the lives of your patients. this three-day event, you’ll learn the latest medical discoveries in cellular health, get a marketing plan for scaling your practice and find ways to build residual passive income. Join me!
– December 2-8, 2018: RUNGA Retreat, Dominican Republic. You’re invited to join me at RUNGA in December 2018. Join me in the Dominican Republic, one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean, for this retreat. In all RUNGA activities, RUNGA invites you to come home to yourself. To see everything you’ll be getting into, just click here. Use code BEN when you register so you get your gift when you arrive! I’ll be there, too. Join the waitlist here.
– December 14-16, 2018: World Congress 2018 Hosted by the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine, Las Vegas, Nevada. If you attend any conference this year, make it the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine’s 26th Annual World Congress. The fact is, in an era of andropause, low drive and deteriorating men’s health, it’s shocking that both practitioners and the public aren’t aware of ancestral wisdom and modern scientific and medical tactics that can be used to optimize male physiology. It’s time that changed, and I’ll be teaching exactly how to make men, men again. Join me!
– April 6-7, 2019: FitCon Summit, Salt Lake City, Utah. FitCon® encourages everyone to Find Their Fit. It does not matter whether it is powerlifting, Crossfit, bodybuilding, roller derby, or even axe throwing. Be sure to visit the Kion booth in the expo!
This Week’s Most Popular Instagram Pic:
View this post on Instagram
If you happen to grab a copy of this months @outsidemagazine (link in bio), that’s lil ol me on the cover “drowning” in ice…THAT was a cold photo shoot. In this issue I discuss glucose variability, what I geeked out on most when I was a personal trainer, why biohacks can’t replace hard work and much more. Enjoy and let me know what you think!
This Week’s Most Popular Tweet:
— Ben Greenfield (@bengreenfield) September 13, 2018
This Week’s Most Popular Facebook Post:
These days I’m only in the gym about an average of once every two weeks or so. I’ve recently been exercising outdoors far, far more than I ever have. Here's exactly why exercising outdoors is so therapeutic:
This Week’s Most Popular Snapchat Story:
This week on Snapchat I showed you around Tokyo Japan, where I traveled recently for speaking gig. I showed you authentic Sumo wrestling by the best of the best, took you along for two Japanese cooking classes, showed you the handcrafted pour over coffee made in Japan, and more. Add me here on Snapchat to follow along!
This Week’s Most Popular Pin from Pinterest:
- Healthy liver function*
- Blood sugar regulation*
- Healthy body fat levels*
- Anti-aging factors associated with longevity*
There are just a handful of true blue zones or longevity hotspots in the world. One is Bama County, located in western China on the slopes of the Himalayas. Amongst Japan’s many islands, the people of Okinawa are also the longest-lived. Okinawa also has a secret very similar to Bama County – and in both Bama County and Okinawa medical researchers have found that key foods play a significant role in the longevity of the inhabitants.
In Bama County, much credit is given to the daily consumption of a plant they call shilianhua, or “rock lotus”. In Okinawa, a role similar to that of rock lotus is filled by “wild bitter melon”. This is not the bitter melon commonly found in many vegetable markets, but a smaller and far more bitter version that grows wild. Both rock lotus and bitter melon are in Kion Lean. So what do the rock lotus and wild bitter melon in Kion Lean have in common that promote optimal blood sugar levels and insulin response that support healthy weight management, liver health, and longevity?*
The answer involves caloric restriction and insulin.
In short, rock lotus and Glycostat® work better in combination. Both promote better blood sugar control with less insulin.* Both promote healthy blood pressure.* Both support healthy liver function.* And both mimic changes in cellular energy metabolism typical of caloric restriction.*
So even if you can’t live in a longevity hotspot such as Bama County or Okinawa, Kion Lean can bring the longevity hotspot to you, all while supporting a healthy, lean physique!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Need Help Fully Optimizing Your Brain & Body?
Did you know you can consult one-on-one with me so that I can personalize a nutrition or fitness plan for you to reach your goals? Are you training for physical performance? Trying to shed fat or gain lean muscle as fast as possible? Ready to tap into the most cutting-edge health, fitness and longevity protocols? Contact me so I can get you exactly what you need to reach your goals as safely and quickly as possible.
Leave your comments below – and any news or discoveries that you think I missed!