Welcome to my Weekly Roundup!
In the weekly roundup, you’re about to discover the most important things I’ve noticed this week, including the latest news from the fronts of fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, biohacking and anti-aging research, the top photos, videos and stories from this week, upcoming events and speaking appearances, giveaways, specials and a host of other things you may have missed.
New Discoveries Of The Week: Cool New Things I’m Trying, Books I’m Reading, And More!
– What’s In My Gym Bag: This week, rather than giving you my top discoveries as usual, I’m instead going to entertain and educate you with this video produced by my good friends over at Mindpump about what I always travel with.
So what’s in my bag when I travel? Let me tell you.
1. I always have the #1 Amazon-rated neck pillow with me– the Travelrest pillow.
2. I take the SR1 Somni Resonance DeltaSleeper with me. I place it on my collarbone which generates a signal which travels up my brachial plexus and tells my brain to releases delta brain waves which puts me into a state of deep sleep. Save 5% here with code Greenfit10. Lately (since this video was shot), I’ve also been experimenting with great success placing the “Flexpulse” on my occipital bone rather than the DeltaSleeper on my collarbone, and (not to confuse anyone) have found that it maybe works even better for a slight improvement in sleep cycles. Or you can knock yourself out and use both at once.
3. My custom blue light blockers. These things are great. I always wear them out at night which kills 2 birds with one stone– preserves the quality of my vision, and keeps my wife happy as it basically is birth control for my head. These are made by Irlen International. Learn about them in my podcast with them here. Of course, if you don’t want the custom ones, you can always go for fashionable Swannies, sexy Ambr eyewear, or the new, highly effective Ra Optics. (Use code BEN10 for 10% off)
4. I always travel with a Fisher Wallace Laboratories Circadia. It decreases my cortisol, increases dopamine and serotonin and basically puts me into a state of deep, deep relaxation. It’s great if you have any flying anxiety. You get a $100 discount and free FedEx shipping when you purchase a Circadia® by entering the coupon code GREENFIELD at checkout.
5. The Human Charger made by Valkee. I know, I talk about this one a lot. But for good reason. I even got one for my Dad for Christmas this year! Here’s how it works: you press a button, then it generates a calibrated white light which increases alertness and wakefulness. This piece of equipment is excellent for beating back jet lag and resetting your circadian rhythm when traveling.
6. A funky-shaped deep tissue therapy device. It’s designed and used for pelvic floor therapy. This magical device for massaging hard to reach areas is available here and comes with (as you can imagine) PG-13 rated instructions on how to use it.
7. This is a favorite travel snack of mine. Take an avocado, sprinkle really good salt on it, and then spread chocolate almond butter on it. If you want to be as healthy as I am, eat this snack, take some ‘shrooms, a dropper-ful of LSD and settle in for your flight (OK, OK, the shrooms and LSD are a joke, but I do love Michael Pollan’s new book on this matter, and I do indeed micro-dose and occasionally trip dose with these substances). But I digress. This is my favorite sea salt.
– Complete Resources From My Interview on Joe Rogan: This week, I returned to my friend Joe Rogan’s podcast for more madness. Click here to watch the interview and click here to get access to every resource I mentioned during the episode, including the now famous Black Ant Extract.
Podcasts I Recorded This Week
Every month, I release never-before-seen videos, audios and .pdf’s inside the BenGreenfieldFitness “Premium” channel (just $10/year to access!). You can click here to go Premium and access an entire vault of protected content!
Articles I Published This Week:
My full article feed and all past archives of my articles are here if you want to check out past articles.
Articles & Podcasts I Was Featured In This Week:
Save 20% off everything now through May 28 with code: MDAY2018 on GetKion.com. Sale starts Friday, May 25 8am PT to Monday, May 28 11:59 p.m. PT. Free shipping on orders above $100 (contiguous USA).
This week I told you exactly why I consider the Halo Sport to be the most “dangerous” piece of training equipment I own; it allows me to push my body and brain to levels I’d never be able to reach on my own. It not only puts you in the zone but makes you relatively impervious to extreme workout discomfort. It’s almost unfair. I train with it 1 x per week and I swear by it. Listen to my podcast episode with Halo Neuroscience, the makers of this powerful tool for biohacking your workout and during our discussion, you will discover:
-How transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) stimulates your brain…
-Why workouts and skill acquisition actually feel easier after you “shock your brain”…
-The pro athletes currently using the Halo and what they have reported for results…And more!
Halo is massively dropping the price on their technology just for you for just another week! Use code GREENFIELD here to save $275.
A couple weeks ago, I interviewed Green Smoothie Girl on my podcast. One thing most people don’t know about Robyn is that her eldest child almost died of an asthma attack. Her son was in breathing tents, on steroids and bronchodilator drugs, in emergency rooms and often up all night with his sleepless mama, who wondered if he would live until morning.
She rallied her family to clean up the toxins in their environment, especially in their home. This is how they did it. Now, Robyn wants to bring everything they learned to you. For free.
Join world-renowned experts for the Toxic Home Transformation Summit …and yes, yours truly is presenting on a top-secret toxic topic you’ll just have to tune in to see… Claim your FREE spot for this epic, transformational event!
::: Join Me for a European Detox Retreat :::
In July 2019, I will be in Switzerland for a restorative detox retreat with Robyn Openshaw, and you are invited! Join us for an immersive experience including total liver detox, and rest and relaxation at the beautiful Paracelsus Clinic al Ronc in the Italian quarter of Switzerland. You will stay on-site and receive diagnostics and treatments from the best doctors of biological medicine to detox your liver and your soul. Plus you’re going to have a wonderful time hiking, sightseeing and enjoying one of the most beautiful places in the world. Get all the info to sign up here!
::: Try TeloYears New Advanced Ancestry :::
From the founders of the evidence-based, extremely revealing TeloYears, which I’ve written about extensively, you can now order Teloyears’ Advanced Ancestry Kit, the worlds first sequencing-based ancestry service. I am absolutely shocked at the results from the recent longevity analysis I received from TeloYears. As you are likely aware, I’ve been experimenting with stem cells quite a bit recently and have even had my own stem cells from the US Stem Cell clinic injected into my bloodstream. My goal when I originally began testing was to have a biological age of 25 when I have a chronological age of 40. As you can see, my recent foray into stem cells has put me way ahead of the curve.
Have your Teloyears analysis done, too.
– May 26, 2018: Train to Hunt, Bonners Ferry, Idaho. Whether you’re a flatlander, hunt out west, or are past your prime, join me and make yourself a better hunter through fitness. Sign up to join me here!
– May 31 – June 3, 2018: A-Fest, Sardinia, Italy. A-Fest is an invite-only transformational event that gathers a global tribe of change-makers and visionaries who are driven by epic ideas to impact the world. Apply now to get invited.
– June 9, 2018: Train to Hunt, Mesa, Colorado. Whether you’re a flatlander, hunt out west, or are past your prime, join me and make yourself a better hunter through fitness. Join me!
– June 23, 2018: Boise Sprint, Thomas Pence Ranch, Payette, Idaho. Don’t let the beautiful scenery of Idaho fool you, this 3+ mile sprint will prove to be a formidable task for even the most seasoned Spartans. Register today and I will see you there!
– June 28 – July 22, 2018: Mind Valley U, Tallinn, Estonia. Mindvalley U is a month-long transformational event that is designed to create a university style education model for all ages. It’s a reimagining of college, community, curriculum, and campus. Best of all it’s available for all ages – whether you are 9 or 90. This will be one of those things you look back on and say: it changed my life. Mind Valley U will be held in Tallinn, Estonia. Did you know the incredible medieval city of Tallinn, Estonia is known for being a city with the highest number of startups per capita and one of the most cutting-edge tech nations on the face of the planet? Sign up, join me, and transform your life!
– July 19, 2018: Ancestral Health Symposium, Bozeman, Montana. “AHS” is a scientific conference which provides a forum for learning and discussion on all areas of human health. With evolutionary mismatch as a unifying theory, speakers present on topics including diet, movement, sleep, stress, epigenetics, and more. Join me this summer!
– August 17 – 19, 2018: Colorado Rockies Ultra Beast and Sprint Weekend, Breckenridge, Colorado. The mountain is calling! This is an extra-special Spartan race. Team members from my company, Kion, and I are competing together in the beautiful Rocky Mountains. Experience the immense beauty of Colorado while conquering climbs, crawls, carries and traverses. See you there!
– October 5-7, 2018: SPARK BioHacking Conference, Toronto, Ontario. The 2018 SPARK Bio-Hack Conference features a series of talks by leaders across a range of fields with an eye on optimizing human performance, recovery, and longevity. Researchers, medical specialists and other biohacking experts will share provocative, informative, and inspiring presentations meant to invigorate your curiosity about health and amplify your life journey. Registration is now open, secure your spot here.
– October 11 – 14, 2018: 2018 RUNGA California Immersion Retreat. Runga is going to Napa! Join me, my wife, Jessa, Joe DiStefano and a small, intimate group of like-minded individuals for a weekend-long getaway. We’ve rented a beautiful mansion located on the ridge between Napa and Sonoma valley in one of the most iconic countrysides in America. We’ve thought of everything that you could possibly need to gently “press the reboot button” on your body and completely tune in to your heart, mind, body, strength, and spirit. Join the waitlist!
– December 2-8, 2018: RUNGA Retreat, Balaji Palace, Dominican Republic. One of the most kick-ass events of the year is happening agin. You’re invited to join me at RUNGA in December 2018. The retreat will be held in the Dominican Republic, at one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean. In all RUNGA activities, RUNGA invites you to come home to yourself. To see everything you’ll be getting into, just click here. Use code BEN when you register for a surprise gift when you arrive! I’ll be there, too. Join the waitlist here.
This Week’s Most Popular Instagram Pic:
View this post on Instagram
I do a 12-16 hour fast everyday. On lower activity days I take in less protein and restrict meat. On my recovery days – I call them my "self love" days – I'll do a clay mask, a coffee enema, hang out in the sauna, and do infrared therapy. Once a week, unless I'm traveling, I do a 24-hour fast by skipping breakfast on Sunday, lunch on Sunday, and then I'll eat a big dinner Sunday night. I work, play with my kids, and distract myself in other ways from the longer fast. Sometimes I kinda-sorta "cheat" with bone broth, depending on who you talk to. I also like the way I feel when I supplement my fast with ketone esters. Tune in for more from #JRE today! Link in bio… #jre #bengreenfield #fasting #healthylifestyle #getkion
This Week’s Most Popular Tweet:
— Ben Greenfield (@bengreenfield) May 23, 2018
This Week’s Most Popular Facebook Post:
I'm returning to the The Joe Rogan Experience Podcast in 3, 2, 1….. today at noon PST: http://youtube.com/user/powerfuljre
This Week’s Most Popular Snapchat Story:
From a nutrition standpoint, what do I use when racing at elevation? Sure I could carry a backpack of full beets and pomegranates with me, but instead I’m choosing to live better through science. So this week on Snapchat I showed you how I’ve been using an advanced stack of AFA, Chlorella, and Oxcia made at my friend Craig Dinkel’s company, BioTropicLabs to prepare for races at altitude. Follow me on Snapchat for more unique tidbits!
This Week’s Most Popular Pin from Pinterest:
In this latest study, scientists tested the hypothesis that EPA and DHA molecules “might have differential resistance to oxidation during gastric digestion, and the oxidation level achieved could be inversely correlated with intestinal absorption and, hence, with the resultant health benefits”. In a nutshell, this means that the EPA:DHA ratio in your fish oil may actually affect whether it’s actually absorbed and digested properly. So what’d the researchers find?
-with a 2:1 DHA:EPA, the uptake of the oils was significantly reduced (by 21-23%)
-with 1:2 DHA:EPA there was still a relatively high reduction of absorption and utilization (18-14%)
This means that you lose 3x more of your precious DHA + EPA from a 2:1 DHA:EPA mixture compared to a balanced 1:1 ratio. Of course, there are multiple other benefits to balancing EPA:DHA as well, including:
-EPA primarily affects mood, behavior and coagulation. DHA primarily affects brain development, structure and function. Both EPA and DHA work synergistically in the body and are extremely well-studied compounds that provide significant health benefits individually and collectively across the spectrum of systems within the body. And more!
I currently take TWELVE per day and my kids take FOUR per day of Living Fuel Fish Oil.
Add the 1:1 EPA:DHA ratio in this stuff to the fact that SuperEssentials fish oil begins with the freshest fish oils (before launching into flash molecular distillation) and purest oils from the front side of the food chain (lowest harmful p-anisidine values in the industry) then combines the oils with significant levels of full-spectrum vitamin E & A, D and the powerful antioxidant astaxanthin.
Need Help Fully Optimizing Your Brain & Body? This Should Do The Trick:
Did you know you can consult one-on-one, with me? Whether you’re training for an amazing feat of physical performance, you’re trying to shed fat or gain lean muscle as fast as possible, or you want to tap into the most cutting-edge health, anti-aging and longevity protocols, coaching with me is designed to enhance your physical and mental performance at the highest level. With detailed instructions, guidance, and planning, you’ll get instant access to every training, nutrition, and lifestyle technique that exists to optimize your life, make you indestructible and get you to your goals as safely and quickly as possible.
Leave any questions or comments below – or any news of the week that you think I should have added – and I will be sure to reply.