Welcome to Ben Greenfield’s Weekly Roundup and Cool New Discoveries!
Ben Greenfield’s discoveries, from the latest news on the fronts of fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, biohacking and anti-aging research. I also recap my upcoming events and special announcements so you can keep up with giveaways, discounts and more!
New Discoveries Of The Week: Cool New Things I’m Trying, Books I’m Reading, And More!
– A Video Of What Personalized Nutrition Based On Your Gut Microbiome Looks Like
I recently did a unique form of gut testing from a company called “DayTwo“. You may recognize DayTwo if you’re familiar with the research on what is more likely to raise blood sugar levels: sushi or ice cream, or a banana or a cookie? This study was conducted at the Weizmann Institute of Science and appeared in a 2015 journal edition of Cell. Ultimately, the researchers found that the answer varies from one person to another (and Robb Wolf based much of his book “Wired To Eat” on these findings).
The study, which for one week continuously monitored blood sugar levels in over a thousand people, revealed that the bodily response to all foods is highly individual. Eventually, DayTwo licensed the technology used in the study. You send them a stool sample, along with blood testing results for glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c), which allows their clinicians to be able to get an overall picture of what our average blood sugar levels have been over a period of weeks/months. They then sequence the DNA of your gut microbiome, profile the composition and diversity of your gut microbiome at the genetic level, then predict which foods are good for you. Check out my video results below, and also click here if you want to learn more about DayTwo, read up on their science, or to get a test for yourself.
– My Peptide Protocol
Especially after my recent two podcasts on peptides with Jay Campbell and Jean-François Tremblay, I’m often asked about my current peptide protocol. All of the below mostly is accomplished via a peptides order by my physician through Tailor Made Compounding. It is as follows:
– Epithalon – for this, I use the Khavinson protocol, named after Professor Vladimir Khavinson, perhaps the most distinguished medical gerontology researcher in Russia, who introduced the field of “Peptide Bioregulation in Aging”. Professor Khavinson believes the limit of animal and human lifespan is approximately 30-40% higher than the current mean lifespan, and that the limit of human lifespan is a minimum of 110-120 years. This protocol is founded upon a theory of aging based on the shortening of telomeres, and the fact that after 50-70 divisions, cells can no longer divide, after which worn out, damaged or diseased cells can’t be replaced. This is called the Hayflick Limit, and coincides with the death of a living organism. If given in sufficient doses, epithalon allows cells to exceed their Hayflick limit, thus extending the lifespan of an organism. The Khavinson protocol is 10mg epithalon, administered 3 times a week for 3 weeks, and is the exact dose that was studied in a 15 year follow up longevity study in humans that produced impressive results for controlling telomere shortening. The protocol only needs to be done once yearly.
– Deep Sleep Inducing Peptide (DSIP) – This one needs to be used conservatively to avoid tachyphylaxis (diminishing response to successive doses of a drug, rendering it less effective). I inject 150mcg 3 times/week, one hour prior to bed, and it typically elevates deep sleep levels to 30-40%. This can be continued for as long as is needed.
– TB-500 / BPC-157 – I take TB-500 at 1.5mg (.5ml) twice weekly for full body repair. This can be continued as long as desired. For BPC-157, I rely upon the more convenient oral tablets from “Dr. Seeds” at 4 tablets per day. Save 15% on your Dr. Seeds order with code: BEN.
– MOTS-c – For mitochondrial support, I inject 10mg once weekly. You can time this just prior to endurance exercise for added mitochondrial benefit.
– FOX04-DRI – FOX04 can sabotage the survival efforts of lingering senescent cells in old tissues, causing them to self-destruct. It has been studied in aged mice, and been shown to cause destruction of senescent cells without the usual unpleasant side-effects of most drugs that do the same thing, while also producing a wide array of benefits that control age-related decline. I take 3mg every other day for 6 days, and repeat this 1-3x/year.
– Semax – This is a peptide which is used mostly in Russia and Ukraine for a broad range of conditions but predominantly for its studied nootropic, neuroprotective, and neurogenic/neurorestorative properties. It can be administered via nasal spray, at one spray (750mcg), 1-3 times daily, or whenever any amount of cognitive enhancement is desired.
That’s it. I highly recommend you listen to the podcast references above to learn more. I consider podcasts to be the wave of the future when it comes to anti-aging medicine and overall well-being and performance!
Podcasts I Recorded This Week:
Articles Published By Me & Kion This Week:
My full article feed and all past archives of my articles are here if you want to check out past articles.
::: Giveaway! Win Exactly What You Need To Upgrade Your Body and Brain :::
Embody Your Highest Potential with the Ultimate Wellness Bundle! To enter to win, just click here. The Ultimate Wellness Bundle is valued at $515 and includes:
- Alitura Instant Radiance Package ($149 value)
Alitura Clay Mask, Alitura Gold Serum & Titanium Micro-Needle Alitura Derma Roller
- Four Sigmatic Package ($105 value)
Mushroom Coffee with Lion’s Mane, Mushroom Hot Cacao with Reishi, Mushroom Coffee Latte & Superfood Protein
- Kion Package ($96 value)
Kion Aminos, Kion Coffee & Kion Bars
- BioCBD+ Package ($85 value)
CBD Vape Cartridge and Battery
- RUNGA Gifts ($55 value)
Mobility Balls & Coffee Mug
- Dry Farm Wines ($25 value)
Wine key & receive an additional bottle for a penny in your first order
To enter to win, just click here.
Articles & Podcasts I Was Featured In This Week:
– June 6, 2019: An Afternoon of Transformation with Ben Greenfield, Denver, Colorado. A special event hosted by MaxLiving, which exists to transform lives through chiropractic.
– June 15, 2019: Ultimate Fitness Run, Mt. Spokane, Washington. Join me and my family for a fun, as-competitive-as-you-make-it day outside for an OCR-style challenge. Register here while you still can. This event sells out quickly each year. Save with code: BEN10UFR and register here.
– June 23 – July 7, 2019: European Detox Retreat, Paracelsus al Ronc, Switzerland. At this 2019 liver detox and R&R retreat at the beautiful Swiss Mountain Clinic in the Italian quarter of Switzerland, you’ll stay on-site and receive diagnostics and treatments from the best doctors of biological medicine to detox your liver and your soul. Here’s the link to more info.
– August 3, 2019: Spartan Sprint at the LA Stadium, Los Angeles, California. It’s Rally Time, Los Angeles. The Big A. Angel Stadium. Whatever you call it, this place is legendary. Now, Spartan is headed to this historic ballpark for an epic Stadion course. Get ready to take on 3 miles and 20 obstacles through nearly every part of the stadium. Sign up here!
– September 27 – 29, 2019: Spartan World Championships, Squaw Valley, California. Right beside Lake Tahoe, this epic venue was once host to the 1960 Olympic Winter Games. Join me there for the greatest obstacle course race in North Tahoe Lake, Olympic Village, CA. Sign up here. Sign up here!
Featured Product: Kion Clean Energy Bar
As a busy CEO, coach, professional athlete, international speaker, and top 100 podcast host—I needed a bar that would meet the intense demands of my lifestyle, while also satisfying my strict nutrition and purity requirements. I’m happy to say, THIS IS IT.
After years of habitually eating low-quality protein bars, I started having elevated blood sugar, gut rot, energy swings and toxins present in my blood tests. So I wanted to do something better. I wanted to learn how can a bar provide adequate amino acids for recovery without spiking insulin and glucose, or creating mTor and longevity issues from excess protein intake?
You’re about to discover exactly how I did it. Meet the Kion Clean Energy Bar.
*The FDA hasn’t evaluated these statements. Kion products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
This Week’s Most Popular Instagram Pic:
View this post on Instagram
If you've never experimented with using elements such as holotropic breathwork, breath of fire, pranayama breathing or any other #breathtechniques then you are missing out on a very, very cool way to tweak your physiology. To learn more about the in’s and out’s of using your "prana" to control your biology, I would highly recommend you listen to my podcast with The Renegade Pharmacist. Link in bio! #renegadepharmacist #breathoffire #ancestralwisdom #breathwork #konahawaii #goodforyou #prana #pranayama #holotropicbreathwork #yoga #yogi #mindfulness #mindset #mindbodysoul #mindbodyspirit
This Week’s Most Popular Tweet:
My friend Alex Fergus figured out a cool way to hack deep sleep with a nootropic… https://t.co/3hO8ptA7ks
— Ben Greenfield (@bengreenfield) May 28, 2019
My Most Popular Facebook Post This Week:
So proud of my boys for graduating fifth grade. At this point they are done with school. I gave them the option to halt…
Need Help Fully Optimizing Your Brain & Body?
Did you know you can consult one-on-one with me so that I can personalize a nutrition or fitness plan for you to reach your goals? Are you training for physical performance? Trying to shed fat or gain lean muscle as fast as possible? Ready to tap into the most cutting-edge health, fitness and longevity protocols? Contact me so I can get you exactly what you need to reach your goals as safely and quickly as possible.
Leave your comments below – and any news or discoveries that you think I missed!