Welcome to my Weekly Roundup!
Discover the latest news from the fronts of fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, biohacking and anti-aging research. I also tell you about all of my upcoming events and recap all of my special announcements–giveaways, discounts, and more.
New Discoveries Of The Week: Cool New Things I'm Trying, Books I'm Reading, And More!
– Book: The Life You've Always Wanted by John Ortberg. Recently, I posted to Facebook 5 books that I bought my boys to that they would be equipped to become better men. One book “Soul Keeping”, written by author John Ortberg, thoroughly convicted me that I need to do a much better job caring for the most important part of my human being: my spirit. The Life You've Always Wanted is just as convicting and just as good. Here's one of the best quotes I highlighted so far:
“Frederick Buechner once wrote that every age has produced fairy tales. Something inside us believes, or wants to believe, that the world as we know it is not the whole story. We long for the re-enchantment of reality. We hope that death is not the end, that the universe is something more than an enclosed terrarium. So we keep spinning and repeating stories that hold the promise of another world. But these stories don’t simply demand that another world exists. A common feature of fairy tales is that the enchanted world is not far away. You step into a wardrobe and you’re in Narnia. You walk through a forest and stumble on a cottage with seven dwarfs.
This other world turns out to be far closer than you thought. In fact, the stories that endure are the ones that most deeply touch this longing inside us. Buechner quotes J. R. R. Tolkien: It is the mark of the good fairy-story, of the higher or more complete kind, that however wild its events, however fantastic or terrible the adventures, it can give to the child or man that hears it, when the “turn” comes, a catch of the breath, a beat and lifting of the heart, near to (or indeed accompanied by) tears, as keen as that given by any form of literary art.”
The above quote really highlights my own belief about how much more meaningful life is when you believe you're part of an amazing, magical fantasy story – and that you're not, as an agnostic atheist might believe, just part of a bunch of chunks of flesh flying through space on a rock trying to see who can survive the longest. Get the book here. It will change your life.
– Food: Baruka Nuts. These nuts are a flavorful, mind-blowing combination of a cashew and a peanut, and of late, they've replaced macadamia nuts as my nut of choice when I travel (typically consumed along with a handful of dark chocolate and/or spirulina or chlorella tablets because I'm weird like that). Anyways, they were introduced to me by my friend, superfood hunter, and former podcast guest Darin Olien and you can get them here with discount code “ben” for 15% off your first order.
– Travel Hack: I've been using this little breath training device called the “Relaxator” when I am on cars or in airplanes as a way to train my diaphragm and lungs while seated. It's a pretty cool little device. I discovered this in Anders' Olsson's book, “The Power of Your Breath“, which I covered in my roundup a few weeks ago. I'm obsessed with the breath work tips in this book!
Podcasts I Recorded This Week
Every month, I release never-before-seen videos, audios and .pdf's inside the BenGreenfieldFitness “Premium” channel (just $10/year to access!). You can click here to go Premium and access an entire vault of protected content!
Articles I Published This Week:
My full article feed and all past archives of my articles are here if you want to check out past articles.
Articles & Podcasts I Was Featured In This Week:
A couple weeks ago, I interviewed Green Smoothie Girl on my podcast. One thing most people don't know about Robyn is that her eldest child almost died of an asthma attack. Her son was in breathing tents, on steroids and bronchodilator drugs, in emergency rooms and therefore often up all night.
She rallied her family to clean up the toxins in their environment, especially in their home. This is how they did it. Now, Robyn wants to bring everything they learned to you. For free.
Join world-renowned experts for the Toxic Home Transformation Summit …and yes, yours truly is presenting on a top-secret toxic topic you'll just have to tune in to see… Claim your FREE spot for this epic, transformational event!
::: Join Me for a European Detox Retreat :::
In July 2019, I will be in Switzerland for a restorative detox retreat with Robyn Openshaw, and you are invited! Join us for an immersive experience including total liver detox, and rest and relaxation at the beautiful Paracelsus Clinic al Ronc in the Italian quarter of Switzerland. You will stay on-site and receive diagnostics and treatments from the best doctors of biological medicine to detox your liver and your soul. Plus you're going to have a wonderful time hiking, sightseeing and enjoying one of the most beautiful places in the world. Get all the info to sign up here!
– June 9, 2018: Train to Hunt, Mesa, Colorado. Whether you’re a flatlander, hunt out west, or are past your prime, join me and make yourself a better hunter through fitness. Join me!
– June 15 – 17, 2018: Revitalize Conference, Marana, Arizona. Each year, #mbgrevitalize gathers the world's most knowledgeable experts and influential thought leaders for discussions on the future of wellness for you. Join me and dozens of other inspiring leaders in the vibrant Sonoran Desert, the perfect home to revitalize. From spiritual sunrises to star-filled evening skies, this is a special place which will touch your soul. I will lead a nature hike during the conference on Sunday, June 17. Register today!
– June 23, 2018: Boise Sprint, Thomas Pence Ranch, Payette, Idaho. Don't let the beautiful scenery of Idaho fool you, this 3+ mile sprint will prove to be a formidable task for even the most seasoned Spartans. Register today and I will see you there!
– June 28 – July 22, 2018: Mind Valley U, Tallinn, Estonia. Mindvalley U is a month-long transformational event that is designed to create a university style education model for all ages. This will be one of those things you look back on and say: it changed my life. Mind Valley U will be held in Tallinn, Estonia. Tallinn, Estonia has one of the highest number of startups per capita and is one of the most cutting-edge tech nations in the world. Sign up, join me, and transform your life!
– July 19, 2018: Ancestral Health Symposium, Bozeman, Montana. “AHS” is a scientific conference which provides a forum so that learning and qualified discussion on all areas of human health can take place. Most noteworthy, at this conference you will go beyond diet and learn about the latest research across a wide range of topics, all united by an evolutionary perspective. speakers present on topics including diet, movement, sleep, stress, epigenetics, and more. Join me this summer!
– August 17 – 19, 2018: Colorado Rockies Ultra Beast and Sprint Weekend, Breckenridge, Colorado. The mountain is calling! This is an extra-special Spartan race. Team members from my company, Kion, and I are competing together in the beautiful Rocky Mountains. Experience the immense beauty of Colorado while conquering climbs, crawls, carries and traverses. See you there!
– October 5-7, 2018: SPARK BioHacking Conference, Toronto, Ontario. The 2018 SPARK Bio-Hack Conference features a series of talks by leaders across a range of fields with an eye on optimizing human performance, recovery, and longevity. Researchers, medical specialists and other biohacking experts will share provocative, informative, and inspiring presentations meant to invigorate your curiosity about health and amplify your life journey. Registration is now open, secure your spot here.
– October 11 – 14, 2018: 2018 RUNGA California Immersion Retreat. Runga is going to Napa! Join me, my wife, Jessa, Joe DiStefano and a small, intimate group of like-minded individuals for a weekend-long getaway. We’ve rented a beautiful mansion located in one of the most iconic countrysides in America– Napa Valley. We’ve thought of everything that you could possibly need to gently “press the reboot button” on your body and completely tune in to your heart, mind, body, strength, and spirit. Join the waitlist!
– December 2-8, 2018: RUNGA Retreat, Dominican Republic. You're invited to join me at RUNGA in December 2018. Join me in the Dominican Republic, one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean, for this retreat. In all RUNGA activities, RUNGA invites you to come home to yourself. To see everything you'll be getting into, just click here. Use code BEN when you register so you get your gift when you arrive! I'll be there, too. Join the waitlist here.
This Week's Most Popular Instagram Pic:
View this post on Instagram
Steak + Blueberries = Supercharged Stem Cells. Carnosine, which you find in copious amounts in a grass-fed steak, when combined with #blueberry extract was found to increase stem cell activity by a whopping 83%. Use the link below to read the @uswellnessmeats post all about how eating one of my favorite foods, steak, along with blueberries, can significantly enhance your stem cell production. While you're there, get some #grassfed beef delivered right to your door and save 15% by using code GREENFIELD at checkout. BenGreenfieldFitness.com/stem-cells-steak
This Week's Most Popular Tweet:
Squats make you smart. Science says:https://t.co/kuxnKPHXBl
— Ben Greenfield (@bengreenfield) May 30, 2018
This Week's Most Popular Facebook Post:
This is my analysis of the most qualified, groundbreaking study on the low-carb vs. low-fat diet debate: https://goo.gl/8FLtcv
This Week's Most Popular Snapchat Story:
This week on Snapchat I took you behind the scenes at A-Fest, aptly called “Awesome-ness Fest.” This festival is held in Sardinia, and I'm here speaking about longevity. Extraordinary change-makers and visionaries attend this invite-only event. Follow me on Snapchat so you can see more unique tidbits!
This Week's Most Popular Pin from Pinterest:
In this latest study, scientists tested the hypothesis that EPA and DHA molecules “might have differential resistance to oxidation during gastric digestion, and the oxidation level achieved could be inversely correlated with intestinal absorption and, hence, with the resultant health benefits”. In a nutshell, this means that the EPA:DHA ratio in your fish oil may actually affect whether it’s actually absorbed and digested properly. So what’d the researchers find?
-A 2:1 DHA:EPA significantly reduced (by 21-23%) uptake of the oils
-with 1:2 DHA:EPA there was still a relatively high reduction of absorption and utilization (18-14%)
-EPA primarily affects mood, behavior and coagulation. DHA primarily affects brain development, structure and function.
I currently take TWELVE per day and my kids take FOUR per day of Living Fuel Fish Oil.
Add the 1:1 EPA:DHA ratio in this stuff to the fact that SuperEssentials fish oil begins with the freshest fish oils (before launching into flash molecular distillation) and purest oils from the front side of the food chain (lowest harmful p-anisidine values in the industry) then combines the oils with significant levels of full-spectrum vitamin E & A, D and the powerful antioxidant astaxanthin.
Need Help Fully Optimizing Your Brain & Body? This Should Do The Trick:
Did you know you can consult one-on-one with me so that I can personalize a nutrition or fitness plan for you to reach your goals? Are you training for physical performance? Trying to shed fat or gain lean muscle as fast as possible? Ready to tap into the most cutting-edge health, fitness and longevity protocols? Contact me so I can get you exactly what you need to reach goals as safely and quickly as possible.
Leave your comments below – and any news that you think I missed!