Welcome to my Weekly Roundup and Cool New Discoveries!
Discoveries from the latest news from the fronts of fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, biohacking and anti-aging research. I also tell you about all of my upcoming events and recap all of my special announcements–giveaways, discounts, and more.
New Discoveries Of The Week: Cool New Things I'm Trying, Books I'm Reading, And More!
– Superfood: Spilanthes – ever since I returned from a visit to Kuaui last year, I've been intrigued with this little berry I discovered there called “Spilanthes”. I even found a comment on my own podcast shownotes from way back in 2015 by my buddy TJ Anderson, who asked:
“Ben and Co.- Haven't listened to this yet… But Question: Have any of you heard of the “toothache plant” (Spilanthes acmella)? Pretty yellow and red cone-shaped flowers and leaves have properties similar to Echinacea; said to enhance the immune system, improve digestion and help nausea. Had one the other day at Farmers Market! Boy- very weird “cleansing” feeling. Check out the fun pic! And you can grab the seeds here. Cheers! -TJ”
Then week on my Snapchat channel I showed you my exact Wednesday morning routine (spelled out later in this roundup) included having a big-ass party in mouth by savoring my lil' home-grown Spilanthes berries, one of my most effective discoveries for oral hygiene. Also known commonly as the eyeball plant, toothache plant, para cress or buzz buttons, it is a flowering, herbaceous annual used both as an ornamental and as an herb. It also tastes like a freakin' party in your mouth when you eat it (very similar to the Miracle Berry that I talk about here). Anyways, to use it as a digestif and mouth cleaner (very similar to oil pulling, but even more powerful), I ordered seeds and have been growing them the past several months. If you want to see what Spilanthes tastes like or try some for yourself, you can go here to get the seeds or extract from Amazon.
– Book: “Muscular Christianity” – News flash, it's often tough for me to get my butt in a church seat. Turns out I'm not the only one. Attend a Christian church service anywhere in the world this Sunday and take a look around at who’s sitting in the seats. What will you see? Almost certainly, more women than men. Women with husbands and families, but also married women attending without their husbands, widowed women, and single women, both young and old. Pew Research has found that, on average, Christian congregants across the world skew about 53% female, 46% male. In the U.S., surveys show a split that’s even wider: 61% women to 39% men (the gap occurs in every age category, and is thus not due to the fact that women live longer than men). In sheer numbers, what this means is that on any given Sunday in America, there are 13 million more women than men attending church. Why is this? This new short read from my previous podcast guest Bret McKay fills you in on exactly why, and is also chock full of quotes and advice from one of my favorite muscular Christians: Theodore Roosevelt. It's less than seven bucks here on Amazon.
Podcasts I Recorded This Week
Every month, I release never-before-seen videos, audios and .pdf's inside the BenGreenfieldFitness “Premium” channel (just $10/year to access!). You can click here to go Premium and access an entire vault of protected content!
Articles I Published This Week:
My full article feed and all past archives of my articles are here if you want to check out past articles.
Articles & Podcasts I Was Featured In This Week:
::: Save 10% on Your First Order of Kion Flex for a Limited Time :::
Summer is here! This means longer days with more time for training, playing, and conquering your goals on the bike, in the mountains, and beyond. It's also that time of year when injuries and nagging pains strike back! I created Kion Flex to be the most comprehensive “shotgun approach” to maintaining joint health you will find to keep you in the game! With Kion Flex, you can promote joint comfort, mobility, and flexibility with proven ingredients chosen based on scientific data and traditional medicine.* Order today and save! Don't forget to use my special code – BENFLEX10– at checkout!
::: Ben Greenfield Fitness Hit 30 Million Lifetime Podcast Downloads! …What's Next? :::
Wow, what an unbelievable milestone. My podcast hit the 30 MILLION download mark! Here's a flashback to when I was a total tech newbie podcasting from my tiny personal training studio in Washington–my voice even sounds a bit different, huh? Now I want to know, as a valuable listener, your opinion…Where should I take the podcast next?
- Should I start a podcast for my company, Kion?
- Should I shift to additionally offering more frequent, shorter episodes that I can actually host LIVE on social media and answer your burning questions as we are recording?
- Should I interview more authors of that books that I discover and are blowing my mind?
If you're not yet subscribed to my free, twice-weekly podcast, get in on the goodness HERE and thank you for so many great years!
::: My Brand New World-Class Coaching Certification Program– KionU– is Closing Enrollment on June 25 :::
Do you have a nagging feeling there's more you can be doing to take your health business to the highest level so you can transform your client's lives? I know the feeling, which is why I created KionU – a world-class personalized coaching certification in mind, body, and spirit optimization designed especially for established, highly-qualified health practitioners. This unique, comprehensive program is packed cutting-edge, research-based solutions that incorporate both ancestral wisdom and modern science, into an extremely structured course so that you can walk away with the wisdom to enhance your practice– and have exactly the tools you need to do it. If this sounds like you, I’m personally inviting you to join KionU. Learn more and apply today! The application period is almost over.
– June 23, 2018: Boise Spartan Sprint, Thomas Pence Ranch, Payette, Idaho. Don't let the beautiful scenery of Idaho fool you, this 3+ mile sprint will prove to be a formidable task for even the most seasoned Spartans. Register today and I will see you there!
– June 28 – July 22, 2018: Mind Valley U, Tallinn, Estonia. Mindvalley U is a month-long transformational event that is designed to create a university style education model for all ages. This will be one of those things you look back on and say: it changed my life. Mind Valley U will be held in Tallinn, Estonia. Tallinn, Estonia has one of the highest number of startups per capita and is one of the most cutting-edge tech nations in the world. Sign up, join me, and transform your life!
– July 14 – 15, 2018: Train to Hunt Nationals, Mesa, Colorado. Nationals are right around the corner and I'm eager to take the podium! If you are a hunter, then you understand how fitness can impact your season. There's no better way to prepare than through Train to Hunt challenges. Learn more here.
– July 19, 2018: Ancestral Health Symposium, Bozeman, Montana. “AHS” is a scientific conference which provides a forum so that learning and qualified discussion on all areas of human health can take place. Most noteworthy, at this conference you will go beyond diet and learn about the latest research across a wide range of topics, all united by an evolutionary perspective. speakers present on topics including diet, movement, sleep, stress, epigenetics, and more. Join me this summer!
– August 17 – 19, 2018: Colorado Rockies Ultra Beast and Sprint Weekend, Breckenridge, Colorado. The mountain is calling! This is an extra-special Spartan race. Team members from my company, Kion, and I are competing together in the beautiful Rocky Mountains. Experience the immense beauty of Colorado while conquering climbs, crawls, carries and traverses. See you there!
– October 14-16, 2018: SPARK BioHacking Conference, Toronto, Ontario. The 2018 SPARK Bio-Hack Conference features a series of talks by leaders across a range of fields with an eye on optimizing human performance, recovery, and longevity. Researchers, medical specialists and other biohacking experts will share provocative, informative, and inspiring presentations meant to invigorate your curiosity about health and amplify your life journey. Registration is now open, secure your spot here.
– October 11 – 14, 2018: 2018 RUNGA California Immersion Retreat. Runga is going to Napa! Join me, my wife, Jessa, Joe DiStefano and a small, intimate group of like-minded individuals for a weekend-long getaway. We’ve rented a beautiful mansion located in one of the most iconic countrysides in America– Napa Valley. We’ve thought of everything that you could possibly need to gently “press the reboot button” on your body and completely tune in to your heart, mind, body, strength, and spirit. Join the waitlist!
– December 2-8, 2018: RUNGA Retreat, Dominican Republic. You're invited to join me at RUNGA in December 2018. Join me in the Dominican Republic, one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean, for this retreat. In all RUNGA activities, RUNGA invites you to come home to yourself. To see everything you'll be getting into, just click here. Use code BEN when you register so you get your gift when you arrive! I'll be there, too. Join the waitlist here.
This Week's Most Popular Instagram Pic:
View this post on Instagram
I'm enjoying getting creative in the kitchen these days. What else would you like to see me make? I threw a link in my bio to my recipe for this week's big steak dinner and all the ways I modified it to meet my own qualifications for calling it a properly "biohacked" dinner. ;) Top takeaway– take @Kion Lean before your biggest meal of the day to pretty massively cut your blood glucose response. (link also in bio!)
This Week's Most Popular Tweet:
The author @johnortberg has been blowing my mind recently. I'd recommend you read all his books in the next year of your life. I dare you – you'll change yourself forever, for good: https://t.co/pJyDDsMfKw
— Ben Greenfield (@bengreenfield) June 21, 2018
This Week's Most Popular Facebook Post:
Warning: this is a pretty dang long article. Feel free to read it in chunks, send it to your Kindle, or use whatever…
This Week's Most Popular Snapchat Story:
This week on Snapchat I showed you my exact Wednesday morning routine, which consists of applying the Alitura Clay Mask mixed with apple cider vinegar, followed by Kion Skin Serum, followed by a coffee enema and having a big-ass party in mouth by savoring my home-grown Spilanthes berries, one of my most effective discoveries for oral hygiene. Follow me on Snapchat so you don't miss seeing all of my quirky habits!
This Week's Most Popular Pin from Pinterest:
Taking care of your bone and joint health is necessary so you can avoid discomfort when training, maintain range of motion and much more. Considering that bone density and joint cartilage starts to degrade as early as your thirties, supplementing to support joint health is beneficial for anyone. I created Kion Flex, the most comprehensive shotgun approach to maintaining bone and joint health you will find. With Kion Flex, you can promote joint comfort, mobility, and flexibility and support bone health with 16 different ingredients chosen based on scientific data and traditional medicine.* A bioavailable blend of naturally occurring compounds such as glucosamine and chondroitin from type II chicken collagen, whole foods, herbs, minerals and enzymes assist in recovery from exercise-induced wear and tear and assist your body’s healthy inflammatory response to exercise, stress, and other lifestyle factors.* Goat’s milk whey provides naturally occurring minerals and electrolytes, which are vital for a variety of bodily functions.* Get Kion Flex today!
Need Help Fully Optimizing Your Brain & Body? This Should Do The Trick:
Did you know you can consult one-on-one with me so that I can personalize a nutrition or fitness plan for you to reach your goals? Are you training for physical performance? Trying to shed fat or gain lean muscle as fast as possible? Ready to tap into the most cutting-edge health, fitness and longevity protocols? Contact me so I can get you exactly what you need to reach your goals as safely and quickly as possible.
Leave your comments below – and any news or discoveries that you think I missed!