Welcome to Ben Greenfield's Weekly Roundup and Cool New Discoveries!
Ben Greenfield's discoveries from the latest news from the fronts of fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, biohacking and anti-aging research. I also recap my upcoming events and special announcements so you can keep up with giveaways, discounts, and more!
New Discoveries Of The Week: Cool New Things I'm Trying, Books I'm Reading, And More!
– What's In My Coffee:
Cistanche: Cistanche, which also goes by the names rou cong-rong in Chinese (where it's also referred to as “The Stalk Enlarger” because of its potent erectile enhancement properties), and the “ginseng of the desert” in English, is looked to in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) as a sort of all-around replenishing tonic. In TCM, cistanche was a top-notch yang tonic. Translated to modern standards, yang tonics are adaptogenic antioxidants—namely, herbs and botanicals that may help restore function to the body’s organs at its most minute levels, especially in terms of energy, immunity, and inflammation. There also shows to be hope for it in the actual treatment of dementia and Alzheimer’s: a study in 2013 on patients with Alzheimer’s found that cistanche improved their symptoms, including the improvement of memory. This could make it similar to other famous nootropic remedies like Lion's Mane (see below for more on that) or Reishi mushroom extract. Anyways, I've been trying it as a tonic in my morning dose of Kion coffee, with the most notable change being…earmuffs kids…nighttime boners. You can try the same version I'm using by visiting Lost Empire Herbs (same place I get my black ant extract for a pre-workout pick-me-up).
– My Latest Mind-Bending Stack:
On Sundays, I typically avoid heavy physical training and instead focus on the spiritual disciplines: breathwork, fasting, meditating, studying, etc. This past Sunday I tried something new, and it turned out to be an incredibly “mind-bending” and insightful session – meaning I filled a full page of my journal with thoughts and takeaways. Here's how I did it: after a 17 hour fast, I stacked 0.5mg psilocybin, 2 packets Four Sigmatic Lion's Mane and 4 capsules TruNiagen nicotinamide riboside (use code “BEN” to save). Mushroom expert Paul Stamet invented something very similar to this as a potent stack for neurogenesis. With the shrooms in my system, I then did a 60-minute breath work session in sauna, followed by a cold plunge and swim in river. The breath work was very intense, and is the 60-minute session you find in week three of this program(use code BEN for 15% off).
– What I'm Reading:
I just finished the book “17 Hour Fast”, which is, as the title implies, an instructional manual to incorporate ONE single 17-hour fast into each week (17 hours is about the period of time when many of the more significant benefits of fasting begin to kick in). It tells you what to eat to “prime your body” for ketosis prior to the fast, what to eat after the fast, and – to my delight – gives many practical tips about how to keep your mind busy and engage in productive activities when you’re not shoving food down your gaping maw. It’s worth a read. You can grab it here.
Podcasts I Recorded This Week
Every month, Ben Greenfield releases never-before-seen videos, audios and .pdf's inside the BenGreenfieldFitness “Premium” channel (just $10/year to access!). You can click here to go Premium and access an entire vault of protected content!
Articles I Published This Week:
My full article feed and all past archives of my articles are here if you want to check out past articles.
Articles & Podcasts Ben Greenfield Was Featured In This Week:
– How to Use Sports Science to Change the Way Athletes Think and Train
::: Win a Trusii Pro Elite Hydrogen-Enriched Water Generator For Your Home :::
I recently did a podcast with Tyler Lebaron, an expert in biochemistry who specializes in researching hydrogen enriched water…what is that exactly? This one element, hydrogen, has the power to benefit every cell in your body The benefits of H2 have been noted in over 850 peer-reviewed, scientific studies and articles which show evidence that H2 may have strong potential benefits within the whole body for fighting over 170 diseases.
Trusii makes this very nifty hydrogen-enriched water generator, the H2 ProElite, which features…
– an industry-leading, high concentration production of molecular hydrogen water, 3-6 ppm of molecular hydrogen infused water, on demand!
– no installation setup, simply add water to the top of the unit with a standard 3.5 gallon or 5-gallon water jug of filtered water.
– sleek and elegant design, the Trusii H2 systems are truly works of art. As soon as you get your system, you’ll realize that these are exceptional pieces of technology.
Want one of these bad boys in your home? Enter today to win!
::: Save $50 on Viome Microbiome Gut Testing :::
You've probably already heard me preach about the benefits of Viome– whether on the podcast, in my mind-blowing Facebook Live interview with Naveen Jain or maybe when I published the results of my very own Viome Gut Microbiome test. Viome applies artificial intelligence and machine learning to recommend personalized nutritional recommendations that balance the gut microbiome inside the body for the goal of better digestive health, longevity, skin quality, brain function, and any other physiological parameter correlated to the host of critters living in your gut.
So why is this stuff from Viome so new and unique? If you’ve ever had your gut or microbiome tested, you likely were tested using the old form of sequencing called “16S sequencing” While the 16s sequencing can indeed tell you about your gut bacteria, it really doesn’t hold a candle to what is called “metatranscriptome sequencing”, which is the type of sequencing Viome utilizes. Viome has dumped a ton of research, development and cash into this new form of testing. Intrigued? Check out my episode with Naveen, who believes so strongly in Viome, he wants it to be the cornerstone technology for eventually ridding the world of all chronic disease. You can order your test here. Use code FITNESS to save!
::: Learn From The Master | Yi Jin Jing Qi Gong 14-Week Online Course :::
Qi Gong is an ancient art that has the power to transform your body and mind. My friend and Qi Gong master practitioner, Robert Peng, offers a 14-week online course designed to jumpstart your Qi Gong practice. If you want to learn this ancient, transformational art, Robert is the ONLY one I recommend going to. Listen to our podcast recorded in NYC here and sign up here for his powerful online course designed to transform your relationship to yourself and to the world.
– July 19, 2018: Ancestral Health Symposium, Bozeman, Montana. “AHS” is a scientific conference which provides a forum so that learning and qualified discussion on all areas of human health can take place. Most noteworthy, at this conference you will go beyond diet and learn about the latest research across a wide range of topics, all united by an evolutionary perspective. speakers present on topics including diet, movement, sleep, stress, epigenetics, and more. Join me!
– August 17 – 19, 2018: Colorado Rockies Ultra Beast and Sprint Weekend, Breckenridge, Colorado. The mountain is calling! This is an extra-special Spartan race. Team members from my company, Kion, and I are competing together in the beautiful Rocky Mountains. Experience the immense beauty of Colorado while conquering climbs, crawls, carries and traverses. See you there!
– October 14-16, 2018: SPARK BioHacking Conference, Toronto, Ontario. The 2018 SPARK Bio-Hack Conference features a series of talks by leaders across a range of fields with an eye on optimizing human performance, recovery, and longevity. Researchers, medical specialists and other biohacking experts will share provocative, informative, and inspiring presentations meant to amplify your life. Registration is now open, secure your spot here.
– October 11 – 14, 2018: 2018 RUNGA California Immersion Retreat. Runga is going to Napa! Join me, my wife, Jessa, Joe DiStefano and a small, intimate group of like-minded individuals for a weekend-long getaway. We’ve rented a beautiful mansion located in one of the most iconic countrysides in America– Napa Valley. We’ve thought of everything that you could possibly need to gently “press the reboot button” on your body and completely tune in to your heart, mind, body, strength, and spirit. Join the waitlist!
– December 2-8, 2018: RUNGA Retreat, Dominican Republic. You're invited to join me at RUNGA in December 2018. Join me in the Dominican Republic, one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean, for this retreat. In all RUNGA activities, RUNGA invites you to come home to yourself. To see everything you'll be getting into, just click here. Use code BEN when you register so you get your gift when you arrive! I'll be there, too. Join the waitlist here.
This Week's Most Popular Instagram Pic:
View this post on Instagram
Here’s a good Saturday morning workout for you… Hop on a paddleboard and do six rounds of 30 seconds hard 30 seconds easy. Then drop and do 30 push-ups on your paddleboard. Next get into the V-up position as I show in the third photo and hold for maximum time. Repeat for as many rounds as you’d like…And comment below with your own favorite outdoor workout of the weekend! #paddleboarding #spokane #spokaneriver #paddleboardyoga #getoutthere
This Week's Most Popular Tweet:
Sunday is my "no training"/"spiritual disciplines" day – today: 18hr fast, followed by stacking psilocybin/lion's mane/niacin for a 60 min sauna breathwork session, following by a cold plunge swim in Spokane river. Will detail session in Friday's roundup on my site. Stay tuned.
— Ben Greenfield (@bengreenfield) July 16, 2018
This Week's Most Popular Facebook Post:
Today I started an 8-week course of injections of 25 mcg of MOTs-C and 100 mcg of humanin, a mitochondrial-derived…
This Week's Most Popular Snapchat Story:
This week on Snapchat I showed you how I fill a mini fridge in my hotel room when I am on the go. In it you'll find longstanding staples of mine like Recovery Bits (code BEN to save 10%) and macadamia nuts. Add me here on Snapchat for more unique tidbits .
This Week's Most Popular Pin from Pinterest:
Maintaining your bones and joints is necessary so you can train, maintain ROM, keep up your favorite activities and more. Since bone density and joint cartilage can degrade in your thirties, supplementing joint health is beneficial for anyone. Because of this, I created Kion Flex, a comprehensive “shotgun approach” for maintaining bone and joint health.
With Kion Flex, you can promote joint comfort, mobility, and flexibility and support bone health with 16 different ingredients chosen based on scientific data and traditional medicine.* Kion Flex is a bioavailable blend of naturally occurring compounds such as glucosamine and chondroitin from type II chicken collagen, whole foods, herbs, minerals and enzymes assist in recovery from exercise-induced wear and tear and assist your body’s healthy inflammatory response to exercise, stress, and other lifestyle factors.* Most importantly, goat’s milk whey provides naturally occurring minerals and electrolytes, which are vital for a variety of bodily functions.* Get Kion Flex today!
Need Help Fully Optimizing Your Brain & Body?
Did you know you can consult one-on-one with me so that I can personalize a nutrition or fitness plan for you to reach your goals? Are you training for physical performance? Trying to shed fat or gain lean muscle as fast as possible? Ready to tap into the most cutting-edge health, fitness and longevity protocols? Contact me so I can get you exactly what you need to reach your goals as safely and quickly as possible.
Leave your comments below – and any news or discoveries that you think I missed!