You've no doubt heard of it by now…
In an attempt to live longer, some anti-aging enthusiasts are getting themselves injected with the blood of young humans, via a process deemed: plasmapheresis.
This podcast is about several age reversal therapies. It's also about biohacking Alzheimers. It's about all these therapies (senolytics, exosomes, gdf-11, etc) that scientists have been talking about for age reversal as well as biological aging clocks and biomarkers to measure them. You'll learn about ways that you can biohack Alzheimer's disease, how to measure your biological age, how to reverse aging, what the biggest obstacle to age reversal is, how to get more involved in the anti-aging community and more.
About the Guests
Mark Urdahl is a technology entrepreneur from the Silicon Valley. He has numerous patents and has worked in big data. He began his career at IBM's medical instruments subsidiary that pioneered plasmaphoresis. Mark founded the Youngblood Institute to advance new uses for well established therapeutic plasma exchange therapies which have recently evidenced a previously undocumented potential to rejuvenate the body's own stem cells, restore aging immune systems, and prevent the onset of many age-related disease condition, so that we might live healthy as we age and ultimately live longer lives.
Tom Ingoglia first appeared on this podcast in the episode “The Next Big Anti-Aging Drug: Everything You Need To Know About “NAD”.” As you learn in that episode, Tom is a private investor with a master’s degree in finance. In the midst of trading, investing in technology and developing real estate in Costa Rica, Tom became very sick. He was initially prescribed antibiotics, suffered from an adverse reaction and was told that he’d have stomach problems for the rest of his life. In the years that followed, Tom also developed severe food allergies. His symptoms worsened, and he next began dealing with insomnia, anxiety, muscle pain, tendinopathies, joint pain, chronic fatigue syndrome, altered and clouded cognition and headaches. He finally had a mental breakdown in 2008. After a prolonged period of taking antibiotics, Tom began experiencing tendonitis throughout his fingers, hands, wrists and ankles and feet, so he started taking pain medications to relieve this pain. He had to give up his career in trading because his sole focus for the next eight years would be on finding a cure to his growing symptoms.
His life consisted of working with physical therapists, going to the gym, going to new doctors, and trying new foods to see if it would help. Throughout Tom’s eight-year battle, he was prescribed consistently and persistently more medication. For six years, he was taking excessive amounts of Hydrocodone and Tramadol every day. Tom became obsessed with researching symptoms and treatments and learned about the NAD+ treatment. He visited a clinic, and on Day 7 of his treatment, “It hit me. I started feeling better. I felt amazing. There was a calm that came over me. I felt safe. I just had no cravings for drugs or pain meds. There was no need for them. I just didn’t have the excruciating pain that I had before. I felt eight years of pain melting away.” Tom has nearly fully recovered, using related treatments to NAD+, and has engaged two cofounders to assist him in building out a facility to help bring this treatment to others in similar situations.
In my conversation with Mark and Tom, you'll discover:
-The history of The Young Blood Institute and how “heterochronic plasma exchange” works…16:00
- Heterochronic plasma means simply removing old plasma and replacing it with “young” plasma.
- Others are experimenting with this concept.
- What Mark does is different from a plasma “infusion.”
- Plasma is approximately half of our blood volume.
- Mark began with IBM Biomedical Systems, who had invented what we now call the “blood cell processor.”
–The intricate means of testing used on mice…22:15
- Basically creating “siamese twins” with mice by stitching them together.
- Similar procedures have been conducted on humans for over 50 years.
- Mark wanted to recruit the best medical professionals to the Young Blood Institute. Many of them have been doing it for 30-40 years.
–What, if any, are the risks of these plasma exchanges…29:10
- Roughly a 4% risk of a transfusion reaction, which is akin to what you might experience donating blood.
- One of the safer procedures in the medical field today.
- You go through 6 exchanges as part of a protocol.
-The network of doctors that Mark and Tom have built to do a plasma exchange…32:42
- There are medical professionals all over the U.S. that can do the procedure.
- Submit an inquiry on the Young Blood Institute website to find a doctor that is near you.
-What anti-aging biomarkers Mark is tracking at the Young Blood Institute…34:51
- They have more technology testing capability than Stanford, Johns Hopkins and Harvard combined.
- Key technology: time of flight mass cytometry. Single cell proteionomics.
- They are trying to develop early detection biomarkers that enables them to prevent the onset of diseases before they become significant.
-The lowest hanging fruit for people to track…46:15
- The YBI's concern is the function of the body, rather than the age.
- Your cells are not aware of your “age”.
-What a biological aging clock is…50:20
- Zymo is a lab that has worked with Steven Horvath. Zymo DNA Methylation Aging Clock
- Looked at DNA, and seen a pattern from methyl groups attached to certain parts of the genome.
-How can we track biological aging, or slow down our biological aging clock?…52:30
- Inflammatory markers, heart age, brain age, lung age, skin elasticity.
-The anti-aging booth that Mark and Tom will be operating at a conference called RAAD Fest…54:45
- Revolution Against Aging and Death
- Want to have a contest where people calculate their age, and track their progress.
- Mark and Tom have one of the largest booths at the conference.
-Whether NAD actually gets absorbed into a cell via injections or IV…1:00:30
- How does Ben feel with an injection? Answer: Incredible.
- Tom doesn't recommend the injection due to the level of discomfort.
-Why compounded formulas such as glutathione and Vitamin B could be taken off the market soon…1:07:30
- There's a review similar to a court hearing, where people argue for and against glutathione.
- Taken off the market for compounding pharmacies.
- Tom “has his own reasons” for why this could be deemed unsafe.
- Core problem: the vitamins don't have any intellectual property. Could affect the costs of healthcare.
-How to use technologies such as Vielight and exosomes to address Alzheimer's…1:14:30
- Alzheimers is a $500 billion industry; the 6th leading cause of death.
- A Vielight is basically a laser light for your nose and head; photobiomodulation on your skull.
-What GDF11 mRNA is and how it works to improve hearing, smell and sight…1:25:30
- GDF11 is a DNA repair molecule; makes stem cells active again.
- Patients see improvements in sex drive, vision, smell, hearing, etc.
- Legal hurdles to being able to administer it.
- “Unofficial” results are very positive.
-How senolytics works as a therapy for aging and Alzheimer's, and the importance of quercetin and tocotrienols…1:33:45
- Describes small molecules that lead to the death of “zombie” cells that don't help the rest of your body.
- Life Extension article “Natural Compounds that Remove Aging Cells”
-And much more…
Resources from this episode:
–Beyond NAD Conference – Use discount code “BenlovesNAD” at check out
–Nicotinamide riboside restores cognition through an upregulation of proliferator-activated receptor-γ coactivator 1α regulated β-secretase 1 degradation and mitochondrial gene expression in Alzheimer’s mouse models
-Book: The End of Alzheimer’s: The First Program to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive Decline by Dr. Dale Bredesen
–Kion Aminos Whether you’re looking to stimulate faster muscle growth, recover more rapidly from exercise, become more resistant to fatigue during a grueling workout, or just benefit from additional amino acids in their most absorbable form to support aging or a vegan, vegetarian, or ketosis diet, Kion Aminos essential amino acids has you covered.
–Gluten Guardian “How to eat gluten and get away with it…” Get 10% off the already discounted price when you use my link!
–Thrive Market Makes healthy living easy and affordable at 25-50% off traditional retail prices. Use my link and get an additional $60 off your order.
–Gainswave The revolutionary bedroom biohack for guys who want optimal sexual performance.