It's time for Part 2 of my monster podcast with Joel Greene. If you missed part 1—in which we discuss rebooting your gut and sparking fat loss using some very unique biohacks and strategies—you can click here to listen to it now. Also, check out Joel's recent guest post on my blog entitled “Your Body Fat Is Your Immune System’s Mothership: The Mysterious Relationship Between Fat Cells & Immunity.“
So who is Joel Greene, exactly?
To put it simply, he's a man who had his 10,000 hours in before I was even born.
- In the 1970s, he was interval training.
- In 1979, he was doing Olympic lifts 3 hours every night.
- In the 80s, he began studying MCTs.
- In 1990, he began studying the keto diet.
- In the early 90s, he was doing what would be called intermittent fasting today.
- In the mid 90s, he experienced the rebound from chronic starvation. You read this today for this reason.
- In the late 90s, he went through his clean eating phase, his macro phase, and his ancestral diet phase.
- By 2001, he had his first nutrition website publishing cutting edge research.
- By 2006, he came to the end of all the above and discovered none of it worked over time and under real-life pressure.
- In 2007, he authored the first article to the health and fitness community based on the new science linking gut bacteria and obesity.
- In 2008, his website lookcut.com hit #2 on Google for weight loss—with over 1,000 original groundbreaking articles that today represent many of the most widely copied ideas in nutrition.
- In 2009, he launched the world's first diet system based on targeting gut bacteria.
- In 2010, he was implementing signal activation of the AMPK pathway. The gurus only began speaking to AMPK in 2017.
- By 2013, he had the world's largest body of anecdotal outcomes for body composition targeting the gut bacteria.
- In 2013, he published the first article to the health and fitness community on the dangers of MCT oil supplementation.
Today, at 53, on 1 workout a week, eating whatever, whenever, with no drugs, SARMS, prohormones, or ergogenic aids ever, he is the world leader in hacking the body. He is the real deal. He has done it longer and always been far ahead. He looks it, he lives it. What the gurus say is impossible, he was living every day before they were gurus.
He has hacked peak human…
Working out once per week…
Eating whatever, whenever…
…and does it all on fast food!
He is the future of real-world health and nutrition, today.
Joel is the creator of the VEEP Nutrition System, the world's first commercially available program based on targeting gut communities to effect biomarkers. He is a featured author, speaker, and guest in top tier publications like Muscle and Fitness, 24 Hour Fitness Digital Magazine, CBS Online, Superhuman Radio, and beyond. His system has also been featured on the Dr. Phil Show, where it has delivered astounding life-changing results.
He is the future of real-world health and nutrition—today, and his new book was one of the most nitty-gritty deep dives into “rebooting your body” that I've ever read. The Immunity Code is simply a new paradigm and an entirely new way to think about caring for your body. The new goal is learning to control immunity, health, and aging using new science-based techniques (or hacks, if you will), to steer immunity for health, and to slow or even reverse aging.
This book will change everything you know about your body. Starting with simple, easy to-dos that build one on top of the other, you will emerge with a powerful understanding of how your body really works and how to control it over time, in the real world. Simply put, you will jump 10 years ahead of anything else on the shelf today.
During this discussion, you'll discover:
-Refilling fat cells vs. reshaping the extracellular matrix (ECM)…6:35
- Reshaping the ECM is preferable; refilling the fat is more common
- Post-fat loss biome intervention (4-8 weeks at conclusion of the fat loss period)
- End of the fat loss period is best to set the body toward the lean phenotype
- Similar to rehabbing an injury
- Reset leptin with high protein in the morning
- Get bioavailable collagen (use code BGF20 to get a 20% discount)
- Leptin interventions: high-calorie intake short-circuits leptin shortage
- Molecular hydrogen can enhance intramuscular fat production (use code GREENFIELD for a 10% discount)
-How hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF-1) and breathwork affect our sleep…15:15
- Two things necessary for energy production in the body: substrate (fuel) and oxygen
- Backup mechanisms for substrate (i.e. you have no food): liver and muscle glycogen, body fat, etc.
- HIF-1 is the backup mechanism for oxygen
- Cyclic hypoxia (insufficient oxygen) occurs most often during sleep
- Warburg metabolism has a unique chemical signature
- Immune cells do well in a low oxygen environment (macrophages)
- If too many, the chemical signature is the same as that of cancer
- HIF-1 stabilizes in the cells, and activates oncogenic (cancerous) genes
- Metabolism of immune cells is paramount in an immunity-centric paradigm
- How to mitigate the effects of HIF-1:
-How to mitigate pexophagy…25:30
- Pexaphogy: selective autophagy of peroxisomes
- Paradigm shift in thinking regarding mitochondria: coequals with peroxisomes
- Membrane of peroxisomes stiffens with age; proteins don't pass as smoothly
- Resulting in imbalance among free radicals in the cells
- Strategies to mitigate pexophagy:
-Circaseptan vs. circadian rhythms…35:05
- Chrono-immunology: certain days of the week have unique nutritional requirements
- 7-day rhythm
- Sodium retention works on a circaseptan rhythm independent of sodium intake
- Cortisol levels peak on Mondays
- Cardiac rhythms reach peak on Wednesdays
- Seasonal biological needs
-Why NAD supplementation accelerates aging…39:50
- Immune cells and immune cell signals drive the aging process by accelerating the inflammasome
- Before taking NAD, watch inflammatory markers
- NAD makes inflammation worse
-How to keep muscles young…43:30
- Massage post-workout: deep tissue and stimulate blood flow
- Muscle growth, young muscle, and blood flow are synonymous
- Book: Becoming a Supple Leopard by Kelly Starrett
-The “daisy cutter” diet protocol…46:00
- Flood the gut with hemicellulose and cellulose (found in green beans)
- Lots of protein and no fat
- Don't do it too often
-The molecule that may make the keto diet impractical…47:30
- Keto diet increases oxidative stress short-term
- 4HNE electrophile: the mechanism that mediates oxidative stress
- Is produced in high amounts with alcohol consumption and fried foods
- 4HNE in high amounts with long-term keto diet
-And much more!
Resources from this episode:
– Joel Greene:
– Podcasts and articles:
- Joel Greene Podcast Part 1: How To Reboot The Gut, Eat Cheesecake Without Gaining Weight, Amplify Any Fasting Protocol & Maximize Fat Loss.
- With Tyler Lebaron about hydrogen-enriched water
- With Robert Slovak about Hydrogen water and about Deuterium depleted water.
- The Ultimate Breathwork Ninja Guide: How To Banish Stress & Kiss High Cortisol Goodbye
- Your Body Fat Is Your Immune System’s Mothership: The Mysterious Relationship Between Fat Cells & Immunity.
– Book: Becoming a Supple Leopard by Kelly Starrett
- Bioavailable collagen (use code BGF20 to get a 20% discount)
- Exogenous ketones (use code BGF20 to get a 20% discount)
- Omega 3
- Omega 9
– Molecular hydrogen (use code GREENFIELD for a 10% discount)
- Biology of the Extracellular Matrix: An Overview
- Metabolic Pathways of the Warburg Effect in Health and Disease: Perspectives of Choice, Chain or Chance
- Pexaphogy: selective autophagy of peroxisomes
- Resistant Starches
–Kion Serum: Use Kion Serum anywhere you’d like for more vibrant, youthful skin and hair. BGF listeners, receive a 20% discount off your order when you use discount code BGF20
–Organifi Gold: A new take on an ancient secret: Pain-soothing herbs, incredible antioxidants, and phytonutrients all in one delicious, soothing “Golden Milk” nighttime tea! Receive a 20% discount on your entire order when you use discount code BENG20.
–Public Goods: Public Goods is the one-stop-shop for affordable, sustainable, healthy, household products — from home and personal care to premium pantry staples — all in one place. Receive $15 off your first Public Goods order with NO MINIMUM purchase.
–Paleo Valley Beef Sticks: 100% grass-fed AND grass-finished. Keto friendly and higher levels of Omega 3 Fatty Acids. Receive a 15% discount off your order when you use my link.