Is metformin really as dangerous as it's been cracked up to be?
What are the best peptides to use for muscle gain, fat loss, and cognition?
How can you get started with testosterone optimization therapy?
I answer all these questions and many more in this podcast with Jay Campbell, a Champion Men’s Physique Competitor and the best selling author of the Testosterone Optimization Bible and of The Definitive Testosterone Replacement Therapy Manual: How to Optimize Your Testosterone for Lifelong Health and Happiness… (along with a host of other books linked to in the resources section below).
As a 17 year TRT patient, Jay is a master at manipulating and tweaking the human endocrine system to optimize performance and health. He has experience working with thousands of men and women in optimizing their nutrition, exercise, fitness and fat loss. Jay makes it his personal mission to affect positive and rapid change in each and every client who enters the mastermind program.
During our absolutely epic discussion, you'll discover:
-Jay's daily routine and why he eats only 3 days per week…13:05
- Armour Desiccated Thyroid
- Lion's Mane
- Curcumin, Turmeric
- Protein powder, MCT oil
- Practice intermittent fasting if you're not fast-adapted or want to lose weight
- The cold-filtration whey isolate Jay recommends…
-Jay's response to my concerns about the use of Metformin…25:50
- Mitochondrial dysfunction
- 2 studies by Dr. Chandler Mars here.
- Morbidly obese diabetics using a disproportionate amount of Metformin
- “Life extension dose” varies due to body size, ancestry, etc.
- Jay has used Metformin for 17 years
- Lactic Acidosis: studies done on samples not representative of the population
- Gastric issues are a result of Metformin cleaning up microbiota
- Subsides as the biome becomes used to Metformin
- Metformin protects the brain and cleans vascular pathways
-How to go about getting Metformin…43:00
- Tell your doctor you want it because it's cardio-protective, prevents cancer and is believed to stop the progress of neuro-degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's
- It's also very affordable
-Whether Berberine should be used, and if so, as an alternative or a supplement to Metformin…44:55
- Berberine is similar to Metformin, but isn't as regulated and is much more expensive
- Berberine doesn't have a good reputation among people in the know
- Metformin is the most studied drug in the world (because of diabetes)
-Jay's favorite peptides and what to look for when choosing a peptide for yourself…52:40
- Peptides are a great option for an aging man or woman to slow down the aging process, increase sleep, etc.
- Ipamorelin (GHRP)
- Highest efficacy if combined with a growth hormone
- Best peptide for women by far
- Neanderthal genes
- FDA approved; created by Merck
- Created for HIV positive men for lipodystrophy
- Extremely expensive
- Highly effective in eliminating body fat
- Peptide fact sheet from Tailor Made Compounding
- Sarmorelin is useless
- Semax as a nootropic
- BPC 157
- Jay doesn't like:
- GHRP 2 or 6
-Why Jay is taking Armour Thyroid…1:19:30
- Thyroid synergistic with hormones and testosterone
- Desiccated Thyroid: Combo of T3 and T4
-Rapid fire questions on testosterone…1:26:00
- Is there a risk of cardiovascular health if one supplements their testosterone?
- If a man is a “metabolic emergency,” potential for an incident; because of that person's compromised health
- Testosterone is cardioprotective; beneficial for the heart for someone in good health
- TRT as a nootropic
- Testosterone increases dopamine signaling
- Feeling of “well-being”
- Improves working memory
- Once you start using it, do you have to be on it for life?
- Yes, but the individual's environment is vital
- What's the best delivery mechanism?
- Transscrotal application (absorbed 8x better in the scrotum skin)
- What are you taking with testosterone to mitigate the downstream side effects?
- World Link Medical
- You need testosterone to aromatize into estrogen to confer the protective effects to your biological system
- You'd never want to take an aromatase inhibitor
- What should you be looking for in reference ranges, and what should you be monitoring when you're on testosterone?
-And much more!
Resources from this episode:
-Jay's book: “Guaranteed Shredded”
-T.S. Wiley's book: Lights Out – Sleep, Sex & Survival
-Amazon version of the Testosterone Optimization Bible
-Zach Bush's Restore
Other notes from Jay:
-Metformin Study: Mitochondrial Dysfunction -This was on a thoroughly compromised patient population group of Morbidly Obese Diabetics who were using anywhere from 6-9 grams of Metformin per day. If you do further searches, it’s actually the opposite. Metformin reverses Mitochondrial Dysfunction.
-Metformin Study: Lactic Acidosis – The fear of this condition happening was based on a study from the 40s (still attempting to find it) also in a massively compromised patient cohort. These patients were in end-stage renal failure and also obese and diabetic. We must be mindful that correlation does not equate to causation. All of these linked studies show that Lactic Acidosis rarely happens if ever in normal patients population groups. Check them here, here and here. Elevated plasma metformin concentrations (as occur in individuals with renal impairment) and a secondary event or condition that further disrupts lactate production or clearance (e.g., cirrhosis, sepsis, or hypoperfusion), are typically necessary to cause metformin-associated lactic acidosis (MALA). As these secondary events may be unpredictable and the mortality rate for MALA approaches 50%, metformin has been contraindicated in moderate and severe renal impairment since its FDA approval in patients with normal renal function or mild renal insufficiency to minimize the potential for toxic metformin levels and MALA. However, the reported incidence of lactic acidosis in clinical practice has proved to be very low (<10 cases per 100,000 patient-years).”
-Metformin Study: Gastric Issues (Nausea, Flatulence, Gut Discomfort etc) -This happens only to people who won’t clean up their shitty diet. Because Metformin is working directly on cleansing the microbiota. All of these studies show Metformin’s action on the Microbiota. Check the studies here, here and here. “Metformi
–Kion: The Clean Energy Bar is Kion’s satisfying, nutrient-dense, real-food energy bars with a delicious chocolate coconut flavor! Use discount code: BEN10 and get 10% off your order.
–JOOVV: After using the Joovv for close to 2 years, it's the only light therapy device I'd ever recommend. Give it a try: you won't be disappointed. Use discount code: BEN at checkout and get a cool bonus gift with your order!
–Thrive Market: Your Favorite Organic Foods and Products. Up to 50% Off. Delivered to Your Door. Order through my link and get 25% off your first order plus a free 30 day trial of Thrive Market's subscription program.
–PSO-RITE: The PSO-RITE is your 24/7 massage therapist when your body needs it the most. Use discount code: BEN10 to get a 10% discount off your order!