Fatigue, low energy, brain fog, weight loss resistance, low drive, anxiety, sleep problems, depression, and other ailments have become so common today that most people speak of them as just normal with age. Even thyroid dysfunction, diabetes, and other hormone-related conditions are so common they are being considered a normal part of aging. They may be common, but I can assure you they are not normal and there is, in fact, one quite potent answer…
Dr. Daniel Pompa is a dear friend of mine and previous podcast guest on the episodes:
- The Most Effective Detox You’ve Never Heard Of (And Exactly How To Do It).
- Insider Secrets To Multi-Day Fasting, What Kind Of Fasting Burns The Most Fat, Boosting Your Own Stem Cells, Diet Variation, Feast-Famine Cycles & More With Dr. Dan Pompa.
- Kava Extract, Quantum Physics, Filtered Water, Mushroom Coffee & More: A Special Weekend Podcast Episode!
Dr. Pompa is a respected leader in the health and wellness space, educating practitioners and the public on the origins of inflammation-driven disease, the therapeutic application of the ketogenic diet, fasting, ancestral-based health approaches, cellular healing, and detoxification. Although trained as a chiropractor, his authority is rooted in his own battle, having overcome neurotoxic illness and heavy metal poisoning using his own unique cellular detoxification strategies.
His journey back to health continued to lead him to develop a voracious passion for researching and learning beyond what is often readily understood. A relentless self-experimenter, Dr. Pompa has a passion for healing others. He’s a true warrior of a ‘from pain to purpose’ mindset, and he speaks about removing the cause of toxicity and inflammation, going upstream, and following a multi-therapeutic approach to health and healing.
Dan's new book Beyond Fasting (use code BEN15 for 15% off) will take you “beyond fasting” with its expected results for healing the body naturally by leading you into the proper preparation for a successful fast. This will ultimately result in maximum healing, as well as making the fast as easy as possible.
His seven-week protocol prepares you for the fast by getting your cells to use their own stored fat as energy (fat-adaptation). By going into the fast fat-adapted you will go “Beyond Fasting” because results start day one of the fast, and will lead you into a lifestyle that will ultimately change your life forever, as it has for thousands around the world. This book, and the podcast you're about to hear, will help to equip your body with the tools to heal and create new stem cells from day one of the fast, which generally doesn't happen until day four or five.
During this discussion, you'll discover:
-The latest technology that's caught Dr. Pompa's eye…10:33
- Dr. John Lieurance (Advanced Biome Corp.) (save 5% with code BEN)
- CVAC altitude simulator
- BGF podcast with Hunter McIntyre
- Hyperbaric oxygen chamber (code BEN for $250 off)
-How Dan's fasting protocol differs from the trendy protocols currently in the marketplace…14:47
- What he teaches has worked for many years
- You don't run a marathon or a Spartan race out the gate; you train for it
- Miracles happen with fasting, but the proper preparation is key
- Know when you're in max autophagy
- Peter Attia's “Nothing Burger“
- 5 high carb days before a woman's period can transition the hormones the rest of the month
- The body must change with diet changes, seasonally, monthly, weekly
- By changing the microbiome
- Hormone optimization
- “Metabolic mitochondrial fitness“
-How to properly prepare for a fast…26:20
- Begin by reducing the eating window
- Feast days can be more important than fast days
- Adaptation is key
- Monthly, add 5 days a month low-calorie, low carb, etc.
- The variation creates hormesis, increasing the efficacy of the fast
- Ancient cultures were forced into seasonal diet changes
- BGF podcast with Wild Health
-What to do after a fast…38:08
- Break the fast over the course of 2 days
- Ease caloric intake; gut is in a rested state
- Wait a few days before adding meats
- The more fasting you do, the better the body can adapt
- Our ancestors may have been better adapted to fasting because of their lifestyle; modern humans are not likely to be amenable to that lifestyle
-Dan's personal approach to water fasting and fasting in general…44:15
- Water fasting often brings the best results
- Bone broth fasting
- Massive energy is diverted toward healing the body
- 4, 5-day fasts per year; partial fasting 2x, and water fasting 2x
- Water fasting is easier
- Supplements Dan uses while water fasting:
-Biohacks Ben and Dan use to enhance their fasting protocol…53:21
- Ozone injected via the rectum (mention code BEN100 to save $100 on an ozone generator)
- Sauna therapy if healthy
- Exercise if healthy, although you may want the energy expended to be used for healing the body
- Red light therapy (JOOVV)
- PEMF table and mat
- Infrared light therapy
- Grounding and earthing
-The impact of fasting on immunity…59:12
- A fast gets rid of senescent cells that cause inflammation
- Upregulates stem cells, creates new immune cells
- Microbiome connection; Hormesis is key for changing for better
- Viome test
- Diversity in bacteria = immunity
- We're genetically programmed for fasting
- Listen to the body on when to eat and/or not eat
-How to approach fasting with children…1:08:31
- One day of fasting can be beneficial for normal healthy kids
- Dan's 13-year-old son made it through an 11 day fast; fixed psoriasis and carb addiction
- Use caution while the children are in growth phases; not a pressing need if they're healthy
- Overweight kids may benefit because of energy stored in fat tissue
- Don't fast if an eating disorder is present
- Use “technology fasts” to learn the spiritual disciplines gained from fasting
-Cautions women should observe when fasting…1:19:30
- Check out The Complete Guide to Fasting for Women Part 1: Should Females Fast? (and Part 2) from Kion
-And much more!
Resources from this episode:
- Beyond Fasting Dan Pompa's new book (use code BEN15 for 15% off the book)
- with Hunter McIntyre
- with Wild HealthMD Drs. Matt Dawson and Mike Mallin
- about Infrared light therapy
- about Grounding and Earthing
- about Metabolic mitochondrial fitness
- CVAC altitude simulator
- HBOT (code BEN for $250 off)
- Quantum 5 Ozone Generator (code BEN100 for $100 off)
- Clearlight Sauna
- JOOVV (code BEN for a free gift at checkout)
- Pulse Centers PEMF table
- BioBalance PEMF mat
– Food and Supplements:
- Bone broth
- Colima sea salt
- Activated charcoal
- Water and Wellness Hydrogen tablets (code GREENFIELD for a 10% discount)
- Quicksilver Scientific Hydrogen tablets
– Other resources:
- Dr. John Lieurance of Advanced Biome Corp.
- Viome Complete MicroBiome and Metabolism Testing and Optimization
- Peter Attia's “Nothing Burger“
–Kion: My personal playground for new supplement formulations, Kion blends ancestral wisdom with modern science. Ben Greenfield Fitness listeners, receive a 20% discount off your entire order when you use discount code BGF20.
–Organifi Gold Chocolate: This superfood hot chocolate is loaded with herbs, medicinal mushrooms & healing ingredients to help the body fight disease during sleep. Receive a 20% discount on your entire order when you use discount code BENG20.
–ButcherBox: Delivers healthy 100% grass-fed and finished beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door on a monthly basis. All their products are humanely raised and NEVER given antibiotics or hormones. For 2 lbs of 100% grass-fed beef and 2 lbs of pure bacon for FREE, PLUS $20 off your first box go to butcherbox.com/ben.
–Water and Wellness: The best solution for clean and safe drinking water. Water and Wellness also offers an amazing line of essential water additives such as Quinton Marine plasma which contain over 78 trace minerals and elements from the ocean to help restore your biological-terrain. Get 15% off your order when you use discount code: GREENFIELD.