In 2016, I published an interview with the person who taught me everything I know about transcendental meditation (TM). And since meditation has been on my mind as of late—with the recent release of the Kion e-book, Meditation Demystified—I wanted to share this still highly informative interview with you once again.
See, Meditation is a powerful tool for improving your mental, emotional, and even physical health.
Its widely studied benefits include stress reduction, better sleep, enhanced focus, elevated mood, improved regulation of emotions, and so much more. When practiced consistently and with intention, meditation has the unique ability to positively transform the way you think, behave, and interact with the world around you!
So what exactly is transcendental meditation?
More than 380 peer-reviewed research studies on the TM technique have been published in over 160 scientific journals. These studies were conducted at many prestigious US and international universities and research centers; including Harvard Medical School, Stanford Medical School, Yale Medical School, and UCLA Medical School.
They have shown irrefutable evidence that TM reduces insomnia, stress, anxiety, depression, blood pressure, cholesterol, congestive heart failure, atherosclerosis/stroke, free radicals, blood sugar, diabetes, pain, along with higher levels of brain functioning, longevity, sleep quality and much more.
And the man who taught me everything I know about transcendental meditation?
His name is named Philip Land, and he has been practicing transcendental meditation for the past 40 years. But he's no woo-woo, robe-clad, Eastern mystic. He's an unassuming, straight-talking, God-fearing, gun-totin' redneck living in northern Idaho. (When he's not teaching TM, you can find him walking his dog or taking selfies with Colonel Sanders.)
Philip has taught TM all over the globe, working with celebrities and high profile politicians. He's also worked in medicine, computed tomography, radiation technology, craniosacral therapy, hunting instruction, shooting, wilderness survival, and much more.
In this fascinating transcendental meditation deep dive, you'll learn…
-How “badass, redneck, hunting, hippy, family man” Philip initially got involved with TM…8:50
- Was born and raised in Memphis, TN
- Heard of TM while attending Memphis State Univ.
- In retrospect, Philip believes he was “searching for something”
- Internal happiness was missing
-Celebrity TM practitioners…11:25
- Clint Eastwood (42+ years)
- Jerry Seinfeld
- Ellen DeGeneres
- Katy Perry
- Oprah Winfrey
- Ray Dalio (Author of Principles)
- Department of Defense gave $2 million grant to study TM to reduce PTSD
-How Philip describes transcendental meditation…15:30
- “A simple, effortless mental technique that can be done anywhere”
- Creating white noise inside your head
- TM does not have a monopoly on the ability to “transcend” where the mind settles to a quieter and quieter level of awareness
- You transcend where you are physically, and take yourself to another place mentally
-Religious elements of TM and why a guarded secrecy exists among its teachers…19:45
- No religious belief is required; it's a mental technique
- You don't need to believe it will even work
- TM was argued before German Supreme Court; they ruled it is not a religion
- Teachers are sworn to secrecy to protect the integrity of TM; you can't learn certain parts of it in a weekend then teach it to others
- These techniques are 5000-6000 years old
- Traditional way of teaching:
- Teacher performs a brief ceremony which reminds him or her to maintain the integrity of the knowledge
- Performed in Sanskrit
-The “place” where a person transcends that produces a biological effect…28:45
- The field of pure consciousness is our core, our essence
- Many mantras that are used for each individual
- 3 things that make TM work:
- Sound (life-supporting, no meaning assigned)
- The nature of the mind and life is to go to greater fields of happiness, joy and intelligence
- Within each of us is a field of perfect order, joy, intelligence, etc.
- Color fasting cloth analogy
- Conscious mind becomes saturated in the perfect field of order
- Mind settles, body settles and vice versa
- The vagus nerve plays an integral role in the mind/body relationship
-Formal studies on the effects of transcendental meditation on the brain…38:30
- Center for Brain, Consciousness and Cognition (Dr. Fred Travis)
- Practitioners of TM with minimal sleep (4-5 hrs) performed similarly to non-practicers with 8-9 hrs.
- (TM is not a suitable replacement for sleep)
- TM has been shown to stimulate dreams
-Why TM is still necessary, even with all the biohacks available today…45:30
- TM is natural, whereas some biohacks are “forced” on us
- TM is portable; you don't need to carry any devices anywhere
- A large number of prisoners practice TM
-The importance of a proper mantra when performing TM…50:20
- A proper mantra puts up no boundaries on the mind, thus enabling it to transcend its normal environment
- They are time-tested for thousands of years
- There is no “one size fits all”
- The importance of one's individual mantra cannot be overstated
- The mantra is just a small part of the totality of TM
-The connection between transcendental meditation and longevity…59:10
- Biological age can be younger than the chronological age
- Decreases the rate by which telomeres shorten
- “Breath suspension” is a state of deep rest for the body
-The financial cost of learning TM and why it costs money in the first place…1:03:45
- $960, one time, lifetime fee for the course (discounts for college and high school students)
- Financial assistance is available if necessary
- No one will be turned away, although you'll need to pay something
- What is “free” anyways?
-And much more…
Resources from this episode:
- The Kion Meditation eBook
- Book: Principles by Ray Dalio
- Book: Money by Tony Robbins
- Center for Brain, Consciousness and Cognition (Dr. Fred Travis)
- Kion Clean Energy Bar Back To School Sale: Satisfying, nutrient-dense, real-food energy bars with a delicious chocolate coconut flavor your kids will love (Mine certainly do!). Save 20% on up to 4 boxes from now until August 31st when you use discount code: BACK2SCHOOL here.
- Organifi GREEN JUICE: Now you can get all your healthy superfoods in one glass…with No Shopping, No Blending, No Juicing, and No Cleanup. Get a 20% discount on your entire order when you use discount code: BENG20
- Policy Genius: Whether you’re an insurance expert or a newbie, Policygenius created a website that makes it easy for you to compare quotes, get advice, and get covered.
- Zip Recruiter: As your qualified candidates roll in, we make it easy to screen & rate them, allowing you to make the best hiring decisions for your business. Try it for free when you use my link.
Got a question about anything that Philip and I talked about in this episode? Leave a comment below and we'll reply!
Also published on Medium.