When it comes to nutrition benefits, clams are interesting creatures that pack an impressive nutrient-dense punch.
For example, they are well known as a source of iron.
There are two types of iron – heme and non-heme. Heme-iron is more bioavailable, which means it is better absorbed and can be utilized by the body. Clams have both versions of iron, and a 3-ounce serving of clams can provide up to 24 mg of iron. In addition to Iron, clams are an excellent source of:
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin K
The list goes on and on…and my guest on today's show, Craig Dinkel – a supplement formulator, ultra-endurance athlete, altitude specialist and much more – has studied and managed to harness the power these superfood sea creatures. On today's show, we take a deep dive into clams, his new Altifuel supplement, and much, much more.
During our discussion, you'll learn:
-About Craig's adventure on the Hardest Hike in America (which we talked about his last time on the podcast)…4:30
- Along the Sierra High route; At altitude (9-12k feet); 33 mountain passes
- Takes over 3 weeks to finish
- Pack ultra-light everything
- Big mistake: Bought ultra-light backpack
- Not designed to carry as much weight.
- Excess weight caused strain on lower back and glutes
- Get the weight higher up (mid-back or higher)
- Decided to pull out the 3rd day – potentially dangerous situation
-Why Craig initially sought the health benefits of clams…19:20
- Desiccated liver extract powder great for high-altitude events
- Clams have the highest amount of iron and vitamin B12 available
- Clams are a more potent version of the desiccated liver
-Concerns about the level of contaminants found in clams…23:45
- Use wild, farm-raised clams
- Small serving (3 oz.) of clams contain 1500% of daily iron intake
- Heme vs. non-heme iron
- Great source of minerals
- High amount of Omega 3 and Vitamin K2
-What Craig combines clams with to get the highest level of efficacy…30:30
- Cordyceps, Rhodiola, ginkgo biloba
- Rhodiola crenulata vs. Rosea
- Maintains sodium pulmonary transport in the body
- Helps reverse altitude sickness
- AMS – Acute Mountain Sickness
- Cordyceps – Oxygen producing capabilities with polysaccharides
- Why not add blue-green AFA to his ingredients…
- Strong nootropic effect
- Helps with muscle recovery
- Wanted most powerful source to work with blood development; clams superior.
- Have to pick and choose what you think is the best
-Best practices for taking the capsules…43:00
- Find the lowest dose for highest impact
-And much more…
Resources from this episode:
–Altifuel supplement with clam option and liver option. Use code: BENA for 20% off plus free shipping.
–Biotropic Labs Code: BENA will save you 20% plus get you free shipping.
-My previous episodes with Craig Dinkel:
- Shattering World Swim Records On 25-Piece Fried Chicken Buckets, Climbing Mountains While Eating Defatted, Vegan, Grass-Fed, Argentinian Liver Anhydrate & Much More.
- Recovery For Aging Athletes, Cross-Patterning, A New Kind Of High Intensity Interval Training, An Oxygen Boosting Supplement Called “Oxcia” & More!
- A Potent Pre-Sauna Stack, How To Cleanse Your Blood Before Bed, 700%+ Endurance Increases, The Best Supplements For Altitude Performance & Much More With Craig Dinkel of Biotropic Labs.
- The Hardest Hike In America, How To Train & Eat For Altitude, Dangerous Ingredients In Supplements & More With Craig Dinkel of Biotropic Labs.
–Kion: The Recovery Bundle Contains Kion Flex, Kion Aminos Tablet, LivingFuel SuperEssentials® Omega 3EDA+. Use discount code: BGF10, and receive 10% off your order.
–Purathrive: Stay in ketosis, shred fat off your body, experience sustained energy throughout the day… and… break through plateaus to reach the next level that once felt out of reach.