Over half of the world’s population is afflicted with some form of chronic or degenerative illness.
Heart disease, autoimmune disease, diabetes, neurological conditions, cancer, Lyme disease―the list goes on. The conventional, allopathic, treat-the-symptom-with-pharmaceutical-drugs model is rapidly falling out of favor as patients are searching for nontoxic, advanced prevention and healing modalities that actually work.
Bioregulatory medicine involves fixing this issue with a model that has proven effective for decades in forward-thinking developed countries, including Switzerland and Germany.
Our bodies have many bioregulating systems, including the cardiovascular, digestive, neurological, respiratory, endocrine, and so on. Bioregulatory medicine is a comprehensive and holistic approach to health that advocates the use of natural healing methods to support and restore the body’s intrinsic self-regulating and self-healing mechanisms, as opposed to simply treating symptoms with integrative therapies.
Bioregulatory medicine is about discovering the root cause of disease and takes into account the entire person from a genetic, epigenetic, metabolic, energetic, and emotional point of view. So while patients may have the same disease or prognosis, the manifestation of illness is entirely bio-individual and must be treated and prevented on an individual level.
The four pillars of health―drainage and detox, diet, mind-body medicine, and oral health are addressed by bioregulatory medicine using a sophisticated synthesis of the very best natural medicine with modern advances in technology. In addition to identifying the cause of disease, bioregulatory medicine promotes disease prevention and early intervention of illness through noninvasive diagnostics and treatments and incorporates the use of over 100 different non-toxic diagnostics and treatments from around the world. Forward-thinking patients and integrative practitioners will find bioregulatory medicine invaluable as they seek to deepen their understanding of the body’s many regulating systems and innate ability to heal itself.
My guest on today's podcast, Dr. Dickson Thom, is the author of the new book Bioregulatory Medicine: An Innovative Holistic Approach to Self-Healing.
He graduated from the University of Toronto, Faculty of Dentistry in 1974. He obtained his first Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine degree from the Ontario College of Naturopathic Medicine in 1986, and in 1989 he completed a second Naturopathic degree from the National College of Natural Medicine (NCNM) in Portland, Oregon.
Dr. Thom was a full-time professor and the past Dean of Naturopathic Medicine at NCNM where he taught clinical and physical diagnosis, gastroenterology, neurology, practical endocrinology, x-ray practicum and business entrepreneurship for almost 25 years. In addition, he was a clinic supervisor to hundreds of students and managed care for thousands of patients.
Dr. Thom is now the medical director at the American Center for Biological Medicine and the American Center for Alternative Medicine in Scottsdale, AZ. These clinics are state of the art and uniquely manage care for patients from around the world. For a complete description of these unique offerings, visit the web site TheBiomedCenter.com. Dr. Thom lectures extensively on health and business topics and has written and collaborated in the writing of many articles and books dealing with drainage, nutrition, and business. Dr. Thom studied extensively with Gérard Guéniot, MD and incorporates Dr. Guéniot’s work into his seminar lectures and his private practice in Scottsdale, AZ. In August 2009 he received The VIS Award from the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians in recognition of one who represents the Vis, the Healing Power of Nature, as demonstrated through their work, life, and community service.
During our discussion, you'll discover:
-Dr. Thom's daily diet…9:30
- Intermittent fasting
- Keto, paleo
- Better for biochemistry and balancing metabolism
- Homeostasis: what biological medicine is at its core
- A typical breakfast: Eggs, turkey bacon, avocado
-What exactly “bioregulatory medicine” is…11:50
- “In reality, it's the only type of healing that's existed since man has been on the earth.”
- Ancient Babylonians, Egyptians, Chinese, Indians: All about balancing energy flows
- Biofields: Energies the body is associated with
- Body is one huge electromagnet
- Gives off energy
- Movement creates electrons
- Some people can read other people's energies
- Electron transport chain in mitochondria
- Electricity interacts with human body and vice versa
- Deleterious effects of wifi, cell towers, etc.
- Physiology, biochemistry, physics
- Newton's Law: Conventional medicine still believes that's how the body heals itself
- 1927: Einstein and Planck came out with quantum mechanics; led to utilization of atomic bomb
- Multiple organ systems within our body
- We think of them individually: heart, cardiovascular, nervous, digestive, etc.
- All the “specialties” don't communicate with the other specialties
- You must have all the pieces to rebuild a house; same with the body
- Dr. Thom describes himself as a specialist in health, not necessarily in disease
-More on biofields and the practice of Kirlian photography…20:45
- Our energy is not confined by our skin the way our body is
- People transfer energy with each other without physically touching them (long term relationships)
- Kirlian photography:
- Microscopes allow us to see what before was not visible
- Measures the body's biofields
- Use electromagnetic spectrum on all levels; subtle energies that can't be seen or felt
- Capturing the ability of cells to communicate
-The self-healing qualities of the body that can be enhanced by bioregulatory medicine…25:30
- The cast didn't heal a broken bone; it simply immobilized and made it possible to heal itself
- “Chi”, or biofield energy is necessary for the bone to heal
- Every part of our body – bones, organs, skin, etc. – self-heal and regenerate
- You can replace a child's liver with a portion of a full-grown liver; both will grow and regenerate to full size
-How the Flexner Report, published in 1910, laid the foundation for mainstream medicine…29:35
- The Flexner Report, published in 1910
- American Medical Association formed in 1857
- Bloodletting and homeopathy were common practice at that time
- Bloodletting wasn't effective (it killed George Washington) but homeopathy was proven to be effective
- AMA excluded practitioners of homeopathy and other “unapproved” methods from their organization
- Abraham Flexner, who was not a doctor, a scientist, nor a medical practitioner, was commissioned by the Carnegie Foundation to examine 155 medical schools
- The good in the report:
- Not enough education
- Need prerequisites
- Need standardization
- Suggested reducing 155 schools to 31 schools
- The bad in the report:
- Blacks were inferior, diseased; schools teaching black students should be closed
- Schools can no longer teach homeopathy, electrotherapy, etc. simply because Flexner didn't believe in them
- In 1900, there were more homeopathic doctors than conventional; by 1953, they were all closed
- Western medical students are still taught based on the Flexner Report; although they've likely never heard of it
- Rockefeller and Carnegie foundations' influenced the pharmaceutical industry, as well as who got accepted into the 31 schools
-The science behind a seasonal diet and how it works with bioregulatory medicine…42:15
- Weston A. Price
- Foods consumed are indigenous to the location the people lived
- Ancestral approach to diet
- Eating cold food in summer, hot food in winter
- Normal body temp is 98.6°F
- Enzymes necessary to digest food function at ~98.3 degrees
- Put 40-degree food in your body; requires tremendous energy to digest
- Master fuel sensors:
- mTOR more active under sunlight in summer
- AMPKα in the winter
- Look for foods indigenous to your ancestors, as well as your current locale
- Book: 100 Million Years of Food by Stephen Le
- Book: The Jungle Effect by Dr. Daphne Miller
- Book: Returning To An Ancestral Diet by Dr. Michael Smith
-How mistletoe is a component of bioregulatory medicine…50:34
- Mistletoe has historically symbolized life in religion and mythology
- You'll often find mistletoe in European cancer treatment centers
- Used in all deliveries: IV, injectable, inhaled, etc.
- Its use in autoimmune issues:
- In nature, the antidote is right next to the poisonous plant
- Autoimmune issue means out of balance
- Not trying to suppress; try to support, make it more in balance
- Allopathic = opposite medicine
- You get a fever when you're sick; support the fever, don't suppress it
- Go beyond the symptoms; support the physiology
- A headache is not due to a Tylenol deficiency
-How to find a practitioner in bioregulatory medicine…58:30
- No central directory at the moment
- Dr. Thom is creating a curriculum to teach clinic staff to make them available
- Marion Institute, Marion, MA
- Bioregulatory Institute, Louisville, KY
-Protocols unique to bioregulatory medicine…1:00:00
- Contact Regulation Thermography (CRT)
- Diagnostic tool to measure 119 points in the body
- Link to 15 different organ systems
- Stress the body (cold)
- Remeasure same points
- Graph before stress and after
- Can quickly and effectively track how your body reacts to stress
- Measuring specific points on the skin that are related to the various internal organs in the body
- Zyto Scan
- Put hand on a plate, running an electrical program; reads the energy coming from your hand onto the plate
- Can see how you're being affected by foods, microbes, etc.
- Tracks specific areas of the body that are out of balance
- It's a “soft diagnosis” for Lyme disease
- Vega Analysis
- German company formed in 1950s
- Electrodermal testing
- Measure on acupuncture points different electrical energies
-Clinical research behind the efficacy of bioregulatory medicine…1:11:06
-Tissue cell salts: what are they, and what are they used for…1:13:30
- Developed by Dr. Schuessler
- Analyzed ash of human bodies
- Same 12 minerals in the ash, regardless of where they were from
- 12 different mineral diluted compounds (3x)
- Tissue cells themselves don't have the minerals in them
- Orally ingested via small pills
-The practice of neural therapy…1:19:00
-And much more!
Resources from this episode:
-Book: 100 Million Years Of Food by Stephen Le
-Book: The Jungle Effect by Daphne Miller, MD
-Book: Returning To An Ancestral Diet by Dr. Michael Smith
–Kion: My personal playground for new supplement formulations. Ben Greenfield Fitness listeners receive a 10% discount off your entire order when you use discount: BGF10.
–Organifi Green Juice: Now you can get all your healthy superfoods in one glass…with No Shopping, No Blending, No Juicing, and No Cleanup. Use discount code: BENG20 at checkout and get a 20% discount on your entire order!
–Vuori Clothing: Activewear and athletic clothing for ultimate performance. Vuori is built to move and sweat in, yet designed with a West Coast aesthetic that transitions effortlessly into everyday life. Enter discount code: BEN25, and receive 25% off your first order!
–Birdwell Beach Britches: Quality is our Gimmick isn’t just our slogan, it’s a commitment we honor with every stitch we sew. 100% money back guarantee. Get 10% off your order when you use discount code: BENG, PLUS free shipping on any order over $99.