There are a lot of nasty secrets about the ketogenic diet that too many people are completely unaware of.
It can cause the buildup of a wide variety of nutritional deficits…
It can cause chronic inflammation…
It can create an imbalance in omega fatty acids…
It can exhaust your body's glycogen stores…
But in my podcast episode with four-time repeat guest Thomas DeLauer, you'll discover how to mitigate these issues and how to do a ketogenic diet the right way.
Thomas is one of the leading experts in the world of chronic inflammation as well as the response of the human body to a low-carb diet. He is noted for his personal transformation from a 280-pound overweight corporate executive, to not only being on the cover of health and fitness magazines worldwide but pioneering some of the mainstream awareness of auto-immune diseases and inflammation in general!
Thomas has been highlighted in over 20 magazines showcasing his transformation and has been featured worldwide on the cover of Ironman Magazine, Muscle and Performance Magazine, Natural Muscle Magazine, ICON Magazine, Platform Magazine, and Ironman Japan. His background is in Sports Psychology, although it is this passion for psychology coupled with a career in healthcare as a physician recruiter and owner of an ancillary lab services company that sparked his love for nutritional science and what makes the body tick.
I first interviewed Thomas DeLauer in the episode The Ultimate Guide To Quelling Inflammation: Why Your Curcumin May Not Work, Surprising Effects Of Ginger Oil, Vegan Fish Oil Options & Much More!
I then interviewed him again in the episode Does Alcohol Really Make You Fat, Which Alcohol Is Healthiest, Hidden Ingredients In Alcohol & Much More: The Ultimate Alcohol Damage Mitigation Guide.
Thomas's third appearance was in the podcast episode Magnesium Supplementation: Everything You Need To Know About Dosing Magnesium, Timing Magnesium, Forms Of Magnesium & More!
In this discussion, you'll discover:
-How the ketogenic diet can be used to build, or at least spare, muscle mass…9:12
- Rather than losing muscle, you're most likely losing intercellular water
- Lower levels of insulin mean the kidneys expel more water
- You'll lose glycogen at the beginning of the keto diet, then regain as you adapt to the diet
- Can see the effects in a very short period of time (24 hours or less)
- When you have beta-hydroxybutyrate, there's a decrease in urinary nitrogen excretion compared to carb-rich diet
- Leucine gets oxidized more slowly; promotes protein synthesis (muscle sparing)
- The stimulus of weight training is critical
-Whether the metabolic rate decreases while on the keto diet…19:40
- Metabolic rate decreases in a long-term calorie deficit (3+ weeks)
- Studies show a small decline in Triiodothyronine (T3) while on keto diet; no change at all in T4
- The metabolism of glucose takes a significant amount of T3
- Less glucose intake = less T3
- Importance of “refeeding” while on calorie restriction
-How ketosis affects glycogen storage…27:00
- When you become “fat-adapted” (your mitochondria becomes efficient at utilizing the fat) your body preferentially uses ketones
- Your body reserves the glycogen to be used only when needed
-Some of the most common mistakes people make while on the ketogenic diet…38:30
- Being concerned with eating “too much protein”
- You'll always have a glucose demand; same with carbs
- Brain cannot run on pure ketones
- Body allocates specific sugars for brain activity
- If you overeat on protein, worst you can do is eat too many calories
- Once you get very fat-adapted, the skeletal muscle has the ability to shortcut the ketones production process
- MCT has been shown to trigger metabolic increase
- Fats people use to get into ketosis
- Heavy dairy
- Omega 6s
- “Keto Wall”: 90 days good results, then hit a wall
- Pay attention to inflammatory level of fatty acids
- Pay attention to “grass finished” vs. “grass-fed”
- The fish oil conundrum
Resources from this episode:
-Purathrive Keto Support Supplement designed by Thomas – 15% discount is automatically included at checkout.
–Kion Essential Amino Acids (EAAs)
–Levl Use code: GREENFIELD for $25 off.
–Kion: Kion is your ultimate source for everything you need to achieve peak performance, look amazing, defy aging and live an adventurous, fulfilling, joyful and limitless life. Use discount code: BGF10 and receive 10% off your purchase!
–Organifi Gold: A new take on an ancient secret: Pain-soothing herbs, incredible antioxidants, and phytonutrients all in one delicious, soothing “Golden Milk” nighttime tea. Use the discount code here and take 20% off your entire order!
–Runga 2019: RUNGA is an opportunity to get away, find space, reflect on your overall health and wellness and invest in positive change in your life.
–Vuori Clothing: Vuori is built to move and sweat in, yet designed with a West coast aesthetic that transitions effortlessly into everyday life. Use discount code “ben25” at checkout and get 25% off your order.
–Halo Sport: Halo Sport is a brain stimulator that helps you develop muscle memory faster. Use discount code “greenfield” and get a $20 discount on the Halo 2 (more than half the price of the first version with the discount.)