I get tons of questions about water.
Which water filter is best?
Should I add minerals to my water?
What do you think about alkaline water?
Deuterium-depleted water (DDW)?
And much more.
So on this podcast, I interview one of the world's leading experts on water and a guy who, along with my father Gary Greenfield, has taught me more about water than just about anyone I know.
His name is Robert Slovak.
Robert is a degreed mechanical, aeronautical, and astronautical engineer best known for co-founding Water Factory Systems in the early 1970s. He and his brother were among the early developers of reverse osmosis (RO) technology and its many applications. Their successful innovations encompassed home and office RO drinking water systems, bottled water production, laboratory purification, hemodialysis, seawater desalination, microchip production, bottled water production, water vending, spot-free vehicle washing, and scores more.
As a result of the rapid growth of RO applications, Robert’s ongoing seminars and a best-selling industry book on the subject of POU (Point of Use) RO, he became a well-known figure in the water industry. In 1989 Water Factory Systems was purchased by CUNO Inc, a global leader in fluid treatment. Since then, it was acquired by the 3M Corporation, which continues to market many of their original products.
Robert officially retired from the US water industry in 1996 and went on to bring his knowledge and experience to Brazil, Asia, and other international markets. He put together a team and published Agualatinomerica magazine to establish a legitimate water equipment and education infrastructure in Brazil and South America. His “students” continue to play a major role in Brazil’s water industry.
In 2004, while in a remote location of Brazil, Robert became seriously ill and was introduced to an obscure 1897 medical discovery known as Original Quinton Marine Plasma (after the famous revolutionary biologist René Quinton). Robert attributes his “jungle” survival to its remarkable healing properties. This ocean-harvested nutraceutical contains the entire periodic table of organo-complexed minerals & trace elements as well as essential and rare micronutrients and has been continuously produced for more than a century. Having been an avid student of health and nutrition science for decades, Robert recognized the remarkable history and efficacy of Quinton Marine Plasma in supporting a wide range of the most difficult health conditions and has distributed Quinton Marine Plasma to leading-edge clinics and health practitioners worldwide since 2008.
For the past nine years, Robert’s focus has been on bringing a new nutraceutical breakthrough called “Molecular Hydrogen” (H2) to the medical profession and health-minded consumers. This “smallest molecule in the Universe” has been overlooked for its remarkable health benefits until now. With more than 800 worldwide health studies on the subject, physicians, researchers, and clinicians have been proclaiming Molecular Hydrogen (H2) as the most unique and versatile antioxidant and signaling molecule. In 2010 Robert co-developed a practical way for everyone to benefit from this discovery by creating the first reactive hydrogen tablet that infuses water with a supersaturated concentration of molecular hydrogen (H2) gas. This proven nutraceutical is now in its 9th year of distribution in both professional medical and consumer markets.
In 2011 Robert became a founding investor in the Quicksilver Scientific Corp. that was developing a groundbreaking new technology to deliver nutrients and nutraceuticals to the cells. It is referred to as nano-encapsulated liposomes. In just a few years, Quicksilver Scientific established its scientific dominance in this growing field and is currently expanding its product scope and global distribution.
While attending medical and wellness conferences throughout North America, Robert recognized the persistent minefield of water-related misinformation encountered by doctors, patients, and consumers alike – that’s after spending nearly 50 years in the water technology industry. This unsettling experience soon turned into the motivation to do something about it and Water & Wellness was established in 2017. A team with more than 150 years of combined experience was assembled to create a product line of advanced point of use (POU) and point of entry (POE) water treatment systems for health and wellness-minded consumers. In addition, a line of synergistic water additives was formulated for the consumer market including Quinton and QuintEssential minerals & trace elements, Active pH Restore alkalizing mineral powder, Active H2 ULTRA molecular H2 tablets and Active Ribose C high-bioavailability vitamin C.
Recently, Robert’s 25-year interest in deuterium-depleted water (DDW) took a new direction forward. With a combination of Soviet-era research from the 1960s and recent announcements explaining the profound physiological benefits of water with reduced Deuterium content, Robert decided to act quickly in making a reliable and affordable supply available in North America. Soon, health practitioners and health-minded consumers will be able to obtain the most deuterium-depleted Litewater brand through soon-to-be-announced channels nationwide.
Robert continues to be a very active international figure in the rapidly expanding water technology, wellness and anti-aging community, making appearances and presentations worldwide.
During our discussion, you'll discover:
-Why and how Robert went from the aerospace industry into the water industry…8:45
- Robert and his brother Jack were both working in the military industrial complex and were just plain bored to tears
- They became aware of a new technology called membrane separation, aka reverse osmosis
- They were pioneers in water systems in homes and restaurants, to microelectronics manufacturing
- Built the first hemodialysis system (portable dialysis)
- Didn't invent reverse osmosis, but refined and developed products that used it (the spot-free rinse being the most famous)
-How a near-death experience made Robert aware of a forgotten scientific discovery that led to his current work…13:20
- In 2004, Robert came down with gastroenteritis after moving to Brazil in retirement
- Was given by a local man 6 vials of Quinton Marine Plasma, a harvested extract of plankton from the ocean
- This is what they used in the absence of proper health care in that area
- Was first discovered in 1897
- Percutaneous Hydrotomy: a protocol used to treat serious conditions such as a damaged spine
- Not to be used as a supplement of injectable for general wellness
- Super hydrating a specific location with sea water
- Plankton bloom:
- one of the most complex bioreactors
- Make about 65% of the oxygen on earth
- Heavily protected by national and international governing bodies
- Robert's brother and business partner passed away in 2016; passed on the license to Quinton to Quicksilver Scientific
- Water and Wellness
-The secrets to Robert's youthful physical appearance…24:15
- Moderate exercise
- Grounded with the earth
- Strict paleo dietary regimen (see below for details)
- Trace elements (from the Quinton)
- 40+ supplements taken daily (see below for details)
-How to set up the ideal water filtration system in your home…33:00
- Always find out what exactly is in your water (EPA water quality report for local water company)
- Filtration system, temperature, etc. all matter in the quality
- Two methods for removing the greatest number of contaminants:
- Distillation + activated carbon
- Reverse osmosis + activated carbon
- Then remineralize the water (quinton, trace liquid minerals, Celtic sea salt)
- Why Celtic sea salt, and not another type of sea salt?
- Jacques DeLangre (founder of Celtic) was a student of Rene Quinton himself
- Celtic is not rinsed. When you rinse salt, you rinse away 30-40 trace elements
- Himalayan sea salt is an underground salt mine; has iron oxide contamination
- The best water filtration systems on the market:
- Sanitize the storage tank minimum once a year, and every time you change filters
- Incubators for huge levels of bacteria
- SteriPen portable water purifier
- WoW (Water on Water) under the counter filtration system
- LED and UV sterilization is coming soon
-Robert's take on alkaline water…44:50
- He's against it; has been for 7+ years
- It's “the scientific misconception that became a multi-billion dollar business”
- The engineer who conceived of it didn't know the distinction between “alkaline” and “alkalinity”
- Another misconception in how “pH” levels affect acid in the water
- Match vs. fireplace: which will heat your home?
- Once you drink alkaline water, the body will change the ph level dramatically
- Alkalinity comes from adding trace minerals which have a buffering capacity: carbonates and bicarbonates
- Fresh green juices are a great way to alkalize the body (no ph levels)
- PRAL (Potential Renal Acid Load) Chart
-Robert's take on structured water…51:20
- Refers to the molecular configurations the water molecules take on that are purported to have some physiological significance
- These arrangements are very fickle; they change every second
- It fails when you drink it; no structuring can survive the stomach (remember, it can dissolve a steak)
- There have been no studies that show consistent physiological benefits
- The only structuring Robert would consider is vortexing
-And what about hydrogen-enriched water?…55:30
- Robert created the very first hydrogen reacting tablet in 2010
- Not to be confused with hydride ions (which Robert erroneously did from the outset)
- Tyler LeBaron (listen to my podcast with him) set the record straight
- You can combine Quinton minerals with h2 tablets
-What deuterium and deuterium-depleted water are…1:00:45
- The hydrogen in water consists of 3 isotopes: protium, deuterium, tritium (which is of little consequence)
- Deuterium is twice as heavy as protium (the only isotope that has that large a disparity with its sister isotope)
- Water is actually 3 different molecules: H2O, HdO, and D2O
- There are 150 deuteriums for every 1 million protiums in water
- When water is made with deuterium, it's called “heavy water” (it's used to power nuclear power facilities and make nuclear bombs)
- America won the race to extract the deuterium from regular water during World War 2
- Unusual biological effects of deuterium-depleted water on plants and animals: Increases in life span, Growth rates, Survival and diseases
- Russian scientists reported this, they were not taken seriously by the global scientific community
- Many variations or levels in which deuterium can be removed from water and still be considered “depleted”
- Incredibly complicated process of removing deuterium from water
- A camel produces deuterium-depleted water naturally; it's why they can survive without water for weeks in the desert
-And much more!
Resources from this episode:
– Spartan PodFest
– Robert Slovak's “Water & Wellness” website (use code: GREENFIELD to save 10%)
– AquaTru water filter
– Podcast: The Genius Mad Scientist Who Invented The Very First Fitness Product Ben Ever Bought – Along With “The Best Water Filtration System That Exists” & Much More.
– Trusii Hydrogen-Rich Water (use code: BEN for 15% off + free shipping)
– Quinton minerals by Quicksilver Scientific (use code: GREENFIELD10 to get a discount)
– Percutaneous hydrotomy
– Zach Bush's Nitric Oxide Dump
– AquaTru minerals
– Celtic Salt
– Steripen UV Water Purifier
– PRAL (Potential Renal Acid Load) Chart
– Greenfield Naturals Structured Water filter
– My interview on hydrogen-rich water with Tyler Lebaron
– SteriPen portable water purifier
– Robert’s 14-Ingredient Coffee Recipe” (for 3-4 cups):
– 450 ml boiling-hot water
– 3 small cups of organic espresso coffee
– 1 tbsp grass-fed butter (use code: GREENFIELD for 15% discount storewide – Offer good for up to 2 orders per customer. Excludes orders over 40 lbs, sale items, volume discounts, and gift certificates)
– 1 fl. oz. coconut creamer
– 2 tablespoons organic MCT oil (use code: BEN for 10% discount)
– 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil
– 1 scoop collagen peptide powder
– 1 scoop whey protein powder
– 1 heaping tsp cacao powder
– 1 heaping tsp turmeric powder
– 1 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
– 1 tsp MSM powder
– 1/2 tsp Magnesium L-threonate
– 1 scoop Active pH Restore (alkalinity powder)
– 1 scoop Active C with Ribose (Vitamin C powder)
– 1 vial QuintEssential 3.3 (minerals & trace elements)
– The supplements Robert takes:
Robert's Life Extension List:
– LEF Mix capsules
– Vitamin D3 5000IU
– Health Booster
– Super Omega-3
– Mega Lycopene
– Advanced Bio-Curcumin
– Cognitex w/ Pregnenolone & Brainshield
– Skin Restoring Phytoceramides 30 caps
– Optimized Folate
– Ultra Natural Prostate
– Cardio Peak
– Brite Eyes III
– Macugard Ocular Support w/Astaxanthin
– Super Miraforte
– Endothelial Defense
– PQQ Caps
– Super Ubiquinol CoQ10
– Triple Action Cruciferous
– AMPK Activator
– Milk Thistle
– NAD+ Cell Regenerator
– Super Selenium Complex
– Neuro-Mag Threonate
– Super Carnosine
– Acetyl L-Carnitine Arginate
– DMAE Bitartrate
– Mega Green Tea Extract
– DHEA Complete
– Arterial Protect
– D-Ribose powder
Robert's Water & Wellness List:
– Quinton Hypertonic (or QuintEssential) (use code: GREENFIELD to save 10%)
– Active Ribose C (use code: GREENFIELD to save 10%)
– Active pH Restore (use code: GREENFIELD to save 10%)
– Active H2 ULTRA (use code: GREENFIELD to save 10%)
– Ageless Defense (use code: GREENFIELD to save 10%)
Other Supplements Robert takes:
– MSM Powder
– Mega Strength Beta Sitosterol
– C3 Complex Turmeric Curcumin
– Multi-Fiber Colon Cleanse
– Mushroom Extracts (use code: BENGREENFIELD for a 15% discount)
– MCT Oil (use code: BEN for 10% discount) & Coconut Oil
–Kion: My personal playground for new supplement formulations. Ben Greenfield Fitness listeners receive a 10% discount off your entire order when you use discount code: BGF10.
–Organifi Red Juice: Enjoy all the benefits of the 11 superfoods and their micronutrients that help increase resting metabolism, support cardiovascular health, and remove toxins to turn back the hands of time! Receive a 20% discount on your entire order when you use discount code: BENG20
–FitVine Wine: Don’t let the word “less” fool you. FitVine wines offer rich flavor profiles and the alcohol content (13.4 – 13.9% alcohol) you’d expect from a fine wine. Use discount code: GREENFIELD10 for 10% off your order.