The recent Kion 5 Day Fasting Challenge has now come to a close – and we had over 10,000 people participate (that's a whole lot of food that wasn't eaten).
During the fast, I received plenty of questions about fasting, such as:
- Does coffee hurt or harm your fast?
- What can I do to improve my sleep during – and after – a fast?
- What is the hormonal effect of fasting on males? And what about for women?
- What is the best kind of fasting if your goal is body composition (fat loss, muscle gain/maintenance)?
- Does fasting – especially 3-5 day extended fasts – slow down your metabolism?
- What type of training is best while fasting, and what type of training should be avoided?
- What other things can you do to enhance the benefits of a fast? (e.g. cryotherapy, enemas, etc.)
- How should you prepare for – and break – an extended fast?
- Is it OK to fast while breastfeeding or pregnant?
- Does your ability to absorb food and supplements increase after a fast?
- What are your thoughts on EAAs while fasting? Do they break a fast? And what about BCAAs?
- And many more!
During this Fasting Q&A Solosode, you'll discover…
-How does fasting for longevity differ from fasting for things like fat loss or circadian rhythm…7:45
- Decreasing calorie intake 20-40% is the most optimal way to regulate aging and increase life span
- Inhibit mTOR pathway, stimulate autophagy, induce ketogenesis
- Autophagy: “self-eating” – not to be confused with apoptosis, which is cell death
- Autophagosomes to lysosomes “spring cleaning in your cells”
- Eating shuts down autophagy; fasting increases autophagy
- mTOR: mammalian target of rapamycin
- Energy enzyme
- ATP becomes ADP
- Every time you eat, you activate mTOR and suppress autophagy
- Ketosis: using fat as the primary source of fuel
- Less oxidative stress; slows the aging process
- My personal protocol:
- 12-16 hour intermittent fast daily
- 24 hour fast (dinner to dinner) twice a month
- Fasting mimicking diet (FMD) 4x/year
-Whether coffee helps or harms your fast…16:50
- Black coffee can enhance fatty acid mobilization from adipose tissue, alertness, metabolism.
- Coffee without any calories added (coconut oil, butter, etc.) will help the fast
-How fasting can affect your sleep…20:05
- Carb intake at night (dinner time) assists with sleep
- Shut down the sympathetic nervous system to get to sleep while fasting
- You can get by on less sleep when you're fasting
- Don't forget the efficacy of breath work and meditation
-Hormonal effects of fasting in men vs. women…23:40
- Lean and fit females do better with shorter fasts (12 hours); men are more versatile
- Insulin, growth hormone, responds favorably to a fast
- Noradrenaline increases with fasting
- Level of testosterone increase while fasting is unknown
- Podcast on kisspeptin
-Whether fasting can slow down your metabolism…30:45
-Tips for enhancing the benefits of a fast…33:20
- Bitter Melon & Rock Lotus extract
- Kion Lean
- Sauna sessions
- Cold thermogenesis
- Podcast on liver cleanse
-The best types of training to engage in while fasting…36:25
- Anything that rapidly depletes glycogen or carb levels will have deleterious effects
- High weight, low reps; bodybuilding vs. weight lifting
- Walking, swimming, yoga; something you can do and have a conversation
-How to properly prepare for and break an extended fast…38:55
- When finished with a fast, you'll be less equipped to digest complex meals
- Go low and slow when reintroducing foods
- Soft cook veggies
- Avocados, grass feed cottage cheese, eggs
- No steaks; anything you need to chew for a long time
- Peter Attia's “nothing burger”
-Whether or not it's ok to fast while breastfeeding or pregnant…42:18
- Religions encourage women to refrain from fasting while pregnant or breastfeeding
- Biochemical changes in milk in response to fasting
- Think “feast” not “famine”
-How fasting affects your body's ability to absorb food and supplements…45:38
-Essential Amino Acids' effect on fasting…48:15
- Don't use them if your goal is cellular autophagy
- Can be very useful for resetting circadian rhythm, gut cleanup, spiritual benefits, etc.
- Can be a good mTOR activator
- Dry mouth, from amino acids:
- GI effects:
-And much more!
Resources from this episode:
–Kion Berry Aminos Building blocks for muscle recovery, reduced cravings, better cognition, immunity, and more*. Now in a DELICIOUS berry flavor!
–JOOVV After using the Joovv for close to 2 years, it's the only light therapy device I'd ever recommend. Give it a try: you won't be disappointed. Use my link when you order and get a FREE bonus gift!
–The Christian Gratitude Journal When you introduce conscious, mindful gratitude into your day, positivity will begin to pour into your life – along with all the other scientifically proven physical, mental and spiritual benefits that go along with it.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.