Welcome to my Weekly Roundup!
In the weekly roundup, you’re about to discover the most important things I’ve noticed this week, including the latest news from the fronts of fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, biohacking and anti-aging research, the top photos, videos and stories from this week, upcoming events and speaking appearances, giveaways, specials and a host of other things you may have missed.
New Discoveries Of The Week: Cool New Things I’m Trying, Books I’m Reading, And More!
– Book: Power Of Your Breath. I learned a host of amazing breath work tips from author Anders Olsson in this book with a relatively “cheesy” cover, but amazing and little-known breathing tips and science based on Buteyko breathing concepts I talked about in this post a few weeks ago, including:
- Breathe in through whichever nostril correlates to the part of the brain you want to activate. For example, if you have a more left brain, analytical, logical task to accomplish, precede it with 1 to 2 minutes of breathing in through your right nostril only. And if you need to accomplish a more right brain, creative tasks then breathe primarily through the left nostril. Breathing only through your left nostril is also a wonderful way to activate the soothing, parasympathetic part of your nervous system, which is a great strategy prior to bed or a nap.
- To increase your natural levels of carbon dioxide, you can mix two pages of baking soda with a glass of water and drink it before, during or after training. Alternatively, you can sit throughout the day on a form of bottled water that is naturally high in bicarbonate, such as Pellegrino bottled water, which is what I personally drink about 2 to 3 bottles of per day.
- Purchase and use something called the “Relaxator” to improve your breathing. I’ve personally been hanging this tiny, breath-training device around my neck when I go on walks to train me how to retain oxygen and carbon dioxide simultaneously. It is simple, small and a very cool way to train yourself how to breathe properly.
- Make a bath with 1-2 cups of baking soda and soak in it for 20-30 minutes to increase carbon dioxide levels.
- Take three deep abdominal breaths prior to a meal to center your body and improve nutrient uptake.
It’s a great book. You can grab it here.
– Biohack: Black Ant Extract – I briefly mentioned black ant extract in my post “6 Crazy, Exotic Superfood Cocktails, Shakes & Mind-Bending Recipes.“, and I recently got my hands on another bottle of this potent liquid nootropic (previously I’d only used powder, but you can add to a bit of alcohol to make a really nice tincture). I’d forgotten how much of a pick-me-up this stuff can give you, especially pre-workout, for endurance or for a long day at the office. The stuff I’ve been using from Lost Empire Herbs is made from a specific variety of ant known as the Polyrhachis Ant (Polyrhachis vicina). These ants live up high in the mountains and are often found among ginseng roots. They come from a pure and clean environment, and you can grab your own little bag o’ black ant extract powder here. I take no responsibility if you decide to go bite someone’s head off after you mate with them, carry your house on your back, or get up to any other insect tomfoolery.
Podcasts I Recorded This Week
Every month, I release never-before-seen videos, audios and .pdf’s inside the BenGreenfieldFitness “Premium” channel (just $10/year to access!). You can click here to go Premium and access an entire vault of protected content!
Articles I Published This Week:
My full article feed and all past archives of my articles are here if you want to check out past articles.
Articles & Podcasts I Was Featured In This Week:
::: Race With Me at the SoCal Spartan Sprint on Sunday May 20 :::
Join me and my wife, Jessa, for the 12:00 PM Spartan Sprint on Sunday, May 20, in Big Bear, California. This will be a fun way to tackle the race for beginners and experienced competitors alike. I will lead you in the charge through the hills along with Jessa, taking you through each element of the course and we’ll get muddy together taking down each obstacle along the way. There’s even a chance to throw back a gluten-free beer together during lunch afterwards!
If you haven’t yet, register as an individual for the 12 PM heat (the only heat with available spots still) here. I don’t have an official “team” organized, but I will have Kion T-shirts and tattoos on hand for us to wear! If you have registration questions, shoot me an email or leave a comment on this post!
::: Last Minute Mother’s Day Gift Idea :::
FitVine Wine is the ultimate wine for clean-eating, (clean drinking!), health-conscious, rockstar moms out there.
– FitVine wines go through an extended fermentation process.
– They are fermented to dry, lowering sugar levels.
– FitVine’s proprietary process allows them to extract more color and tannins.
– All FitVine wines are filtered with both diatomaceous earth and micron pads so they are gluten free and vegan-friendly.
– All FitVine wines contain sulfites at <35 ppm (parts per million).
– Fitvine is very picky when selecting grapes, choosing only the highest quality grapes from small farmers who focus on quality, not quantity.
Get Mom a subscription to FitVine for Mother’s Day and save 10% on your order with code “greenfield10.”
It’s the only “wine-ing!” she deserves!
::: Human Longevity Documentary Film Out Now :::
Have you heard about the Human Longevity Project documentary film? This groundbreaking documentary is the most in-depth, up-to-date, comprehensive film I’ve been apart of when it comes to longevity and it’s out now! If you are looking for the secrets to leading a long, fulfilling, joyful life, look no further, this is a must watch. You’ll be surprised by the film’s discoveries, and inspired by its message. Watch now, and don’t forget to spread the word to all of your loved ones. They will also benefit tremendously from watching this film! Sign up today to watch the documentary.
::: Join Me in SWITZERLAND! for a Detox Retreat :::
If you often plan your travel far in advance like I do, this announcement is for you. In July 2019, I am heading to Switzerland for a detox retreat with the one and only Robyn Openshaw, and you are invited. Join us for an immersive experience including total liver detox and rest and relaxation at the beautiful Paracelsus Clinic al Ronc in the Italian quarter of Switzerland. You will stay on-site and receive diagnostics and treatments from the best doctors of biological medicine to detox your liver and your soul. Plus you’re going to have a wonderful time hiking, sightseeing and enjoying one of the most beautiful places in the world. Get all the info here!
::: 10% Off Your First Order or 25% off a Subscription of NEW! Kion Coffee :::
Every single decision made when Kion Coffee was formulated was based on your health. With a borderline-OCD commitment to the cleanest processing on the planet, we are confident this is the only coffee you’ll want to put in your body every day: higher in antioxidants than every other brand we tested. Always organic. Packaged using the industry’s highest-standard packaging method – called nitrogen flushing. This is, bar none, the cleanest coffee on the face of the planet. We’ve cut no corners and made no exceptions. For a complete list of health benefits and to understand what sets Kion Coffee apart from every other coffee on the market, check this out. For a very limited time, take 10% off your first order or 25% off your subscription, just by clicking here.
– May 19-20, 2018: Socal Beast and Sprint Weekend, Big Bear Lake, California. Big Bear Mountain Resort is a ski area in Southern California. Care to take a guess why ski areas make such great venues for Spartan Races? That’s right…hills! See the special announcements section below about an opportunity to race with me and my wife, Jessa in the Sunday Sprint!
– May 26, 2018: Train to Hunt, Bonners Ferry, Idaho. Whether you’re a flatlander, hunt out west, or are past your prime, join me and make yourself a better hunter through fitness. Sign up to join me here!
– May 31 – June 3, 2018: A-Fest, Sardinia, Italy. A-Fest is an invite-only transformational event that gathers a global tribe of change-makers and visionaries who are driven by epic ideas to impact the world. Apply now to get invited.
– June 28 – July 22, 2018: Mind Valley U, Tallinn, Estonia. Mindvalley U is a month-long transformational event that is designed to create a university style education model for all ages. It’s a reimagining of college, community, curriculum, and campus. Best of all it’s available for all ages – whether you are 9 or 90. This will be one of those things you look back on and say: it changed my life. Mind Valley U will be held in Tallinn, Estonia. Did you know the incredible medieval city of Tallinn, Estonia is known for being a city with the highest number of startups per capita and one of the most cutting-edge tech nations on the face of the planet? Sign up, join me, and transform your life!
– July 19, 2018: Ancestral Health Symposium, Bozeman, Montana. “AHS” is a scientific conference which provides a forum for learning and discussion on all areas of human health. With evolutionary mismatch as a unifying theory, speakers present on topics including diet, movement, sleep, stress, epigenetics, and more. Join me this summer!
– August 17 – 19, 2018: Colorado Rockies Ultra Beast and Sprint Weekend, Breckenridge, Colorado. The mountain is calling! This is an extra-special Spartan race. Team members from my company, Kion, and I are competing together in the beautiful Rocky Mountains. Experience the immense beauty of Colorado while conquering climbs, crawls, carries and traverses. See you there!
– October 5-7, 2018: SPARK BioHacking Conference, Toronto, Ontario. The 2018 SPARK Bio-Hack Conference will feature a series of talks by leaders – including yours truly – across a range of fields with an eye on optimizing human performance, recovery, and longevity. Researchers, medical specialists and other biohacking experts will share provocative, informative, and inspiring presentations meant to invigorate you. Besides boosting your performance, you’ll also get to hang out with hundreds of people from your tribe. The SPARK Bio-Hack Conference is a convergence of people who are pushing the limits of what the human mind and body can do. Discover how cross-pollination can get you to the next level. Registration is now open, secure your spot here.
– October 11 – 14, 2018: 2018 RUNGA California Immersion Retreat. Well, Runga in the Dominican Republic sold out fast, but I have something exciting to tell you. Runga is going to Napa! Join me, my wife, Jessa, Joe DiStefano and a small, intimate group of like-minded individuals for a weekend-long getaway. We’ve rented a beautiful mansion located on the ridge between Napa and Sonoma valley in one of the most iconic countrysides in America. We’ve thought of everything that you could possibly need to gently “press the reboot button” on your body and completely tune in to your heart, mind, body, strength, and spirit. This event sells out very, very quickly. Be the first to sign up!
– December 2-8, 2018: RUNGA Retreat, Balaji Palace, Dominican Republic. It’s happening again…one of the coolest, most kick-ass events of the year – especially if you dig adventure, fitness and beautiful destination travel. You are cordially invited to join me at RUNGA in December 2018. This event always fills out fast and last I heard only a couple rooms were left. The retreat will be held in the Dominican Republic, at one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean. With its majestic location on a cliff’s edge overlooking its own private beach, the Balaji Palace is an oceanside paradise – and we’ve got the whole place to ourselves. In all RUNGA activities from yoga to snorkeling, RUNGA invites you to come home to yourself. To see everything you’ll be getting into at RUNGA, just click here. Don’t forget to use code BEN when you register for a surprise free gift when you arrive! And of course, I’ll be there too. Register here.
This Week’s Most Popular Instagram Pic:
View this post on Instagram
…cooked up some of the best pork ribs I have ever tasted in my life using new big ol' fat macadamia nut pig that I hunted in Kona a few weeks ago. Did it Mexican style for Cinco De Mayo of course, Along with an avocado boat, fried plantains, and some coconut macaroons in the colors of the Mexican flag. This meat literally melted in my mouth and was some of the best pork ribs I’ve ever had. Recipe coming soon to my twin boys’ food podcast at GoGreenfields.com! #cincodemayo #meateater #naheleoutfittershawaii #porkribs #ribs #pork #foodporn #delicious #cooking #recipes #healthy #primal #paleo
This Week’s Most Popular Tweet:
.@LongeviTFilm is live! This documentary is packed w inspiring stories from those who have lived the longest, healthiest lives on the planet. It's an incredibly intimate look at what makes life worth living! Proud to be a part of its release. Watch here: https://t.co/Y2i1p4DiNd
— Ben Greenfield (@bengreenfield) May 10, 2018
This Week’s Most Popular Facebook Post:
Today, I made a decision to inject myself with 100mL of saline solution mixed with mannitol to prime stem cells to enter…
This Week’s Most Popular Snapchat Story:
This week on Snapchat, I showed you exactly how I inject myself intramuscularly with BPC-157 for muscle repair. As one of my most popular posts, I get asked this question a lot. Check out the article here and be the first to follow my unique experiences by joining me on Snapchat!
This Week’s Most Popular Pin from Pinterest:
- Healthy liver function*
- Blood sugar regulation*
- Healthy body fat levels*
- Anti-aging factors associated with longevity*
So what do the rock lotus and wild bitter melon in Kion Lean have in common that promote optimal blood sugar levels and insulin response that support healthy weight management, liver health, and longevity?* The answer involves caloric restriction and insulin. In short, rock lotus and Glycostat® work better in combination. Both promote better blood sugar control with less insulin.* Both promote healthy blood pressure.* Both support healthy liver function.* And both mimic changes in cellular energy metabolism typical of caloric restriction.* So even if you can’t live in a longevity hotspot such as Bama County or Okinawa, Kion Lean can bring the longevity hotspot to you, all while supporting a healthy, lean physique!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Need Help Fully Optimizing Your Brain & Body? This Should Do The Trick:
Did you know you can consult one-on-one, with me? Whether you’re training for an amazing feat of physical performance, you’re trying to shed fat or gain lean muscle as fast as possible, or you want to tap into the most cutting-edge health, anti-aging and longevity protocols, coaching with me is designed to enhance your physical and mental performance at the highest level. With detailed instructions, guidance, and planning, you’ll get instant access to every training, nutrition, and lifestyle technique that exists to optimize your life, make you indestructible and get you to your goals as safely and quickly as possible.
Leave any questions or comments below – or any news of the week that you think I should have added – and I will be sure to reply.