Welcome to Ben Greenfield's Weekly Roundup and Cool New Discoveries!
Ben Greenfield's discoveries from the latest news from the fronts of fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, biohacking and anti-aging research. I also recap my upcoming events and special announcements so you can keep up with giveaways, discounts, and more!
New Discoveries Of The Week: Cool New Things I'm Trying, Books I'm Reading, And More!
– Book I’m Reading: The One Straw Revolution
My friend and world-famous chef David Bouley, upon discovering I am traveling to Tokyo this week, highly recommended to me to read this book. Think of this like “Zen and the Art of Farming” – it's a manifesto about not just farming, but eating, the limits of human knowledge and the radical challenge to the global systems we rely on for our food. But at the same time, it is a spiritual memoir of a man whose innovative system of cultivating the earth reflects a deep faith in the wholeness and balance of the natural world. Trained as a scientist, the author Mr. Fukuoka rejected both modern agribusiness and centuries of agricultural practice, deciding instead that the best forms of cultivation mirror nature’s own laws. Over the next three decades, he perfected his so-called “do-nothing” technique: commonsense, sustainable practices that all but eliminate the use of pesticides, fertilizer, tillage, and perhaps most significantly, wasteful effort.
Here are my three favorite quotes thus far from this book:
-“The argument here is not against work; it is against unnecessary work. People sometimes work more than they need to for the things that they desire, and some things that they desire they do not need.”
-“When it is understood that one loses joy and happiness in the effort to possess them, the essence of natural farming will be realized.”
-“Humans work best when they work for human good, not for the “higher production” or “increased efficiency” which have been the nearly exclusive goals of industrial agriculture.”
Whether you’re a guerrilla gardener or a kitchen gardener, dedicated to slow food or simply looking to live a healthier life, you will find something here—you may even be moved to start a revolution of your own. Grab this book here.
– Mushroom Currently In My Coffee:
I was recently reading on a Pubmed study about the unique mushroom “Agaricus Blazei”. Also called the Royal Sun Agaricus, this mushroom was first discovered in Brazil, where the native cultures prepared it as a tea for medicinal purposes but also ate it as a food. They have so much respect for this mushroom that they call it “The Mushroom of the Gods”. The Agaricus blazei mushroom contains special types of polysaccharides known as beta-glucans.
Studies show that these beta glucans stimulate the activity of natural killer cells. But in addition to the beta 1-3 glucan found in most medicinal mushrooms, the Agaricus blazei mushroom also contains a unique beta 1-6 glucan – may explain the profound immune supporting health benefits documented in the published research. This is one POWERFUL ‘shroom. I texted my friend Tero to ask him if he knew of it and knew how I could get my hands on it, and he, of course, replied that it was ALREADY part of his company Four Sigmatic’s 10 Mushroom Blend. So there you have it. I am putting a giant, heaping teaspoon of this into my morning cup of Kion coffee. You can get the same stuff I’m using from FourSigmatic here. Use code: BENGREENFIELD to save 15%.
– New Body Hack: Rockblades
My friend Scott Dolly made body scraping famous amongst my listeners in the podcast “The Man I Call “Scraper”: Snowboard Shredding, Fascia Fluffing, Protective Chakra Energy Balls & Much More With Scott Dolly.”
Now my friends at RockTape have developed two stainless steel tools that allow you to do your own DIY scraping or if you’re a massage therapist, to go to town on any of your clients with their new kit of RockBlades. Every detail of RockBlades—each edge, angle, and contour, was carefully cultivated and refined over the course of the past two years, and is comprised of two precision-engineered and manufactured soft-tissue instruments:
1) a surgical-grade stainless steel “Mallet” and
2) a surgical-grade stainless steel “Mullet,” accompanied by a 100% natural RockRub emollient and sanitizing wipes to form a complete, turn-key scraping system.
You may have heard of Graston, scraping, etc. and this is a very good way to use that technique to get the body fixing and de-inflaming fascia. You can get the entire kit on Amazon here.
Podcasts I Recorded This Week:
Every month, Ben Greenfield releases never-before-seen videos, audios and PDFs inside the BenGreenfieldFitness “Premium” channel (just $10/year to access!). You can click here to go Premium and access an entire vault of protected content!
Articles I Published This Week:
My full article feed and all past archives of my articles are here if you want to check out past articles.
Articles & Podcasts Ben Greenfield Was Featured In This Week:
::: How To Get Away With Consuming Gluten-Rich Foods :::
It doesn’t matter whether you to try to avoid gluten, or, like me, refuse to give it up…it doesn’t matter whether you think “gluten-free” is real or a total fad…the fact is gluten is in everything, even in seemingly “harmless” sources like curry powder, salad dressings and soy sauce. The good news is that there’s an antidote to the adverse effects of consuming foods that contain gluten—it’s a special nutrient with the ability to break down the gluten’s protein walls and render it non-toxic in your system.
That nutrient is what researchers call DPP-IV dipeptidyl peptidase IV), an enzyme complex which specifically breaks down gluten. DPP-IV Is gluten’s worst nightmare and Gluten Guardian includes the most potent source of DPP-IV on the planet. Try it 100% hassle-free with a money back guarantee today and get back to eating your favorite foods. Use special code: GREENFIELD to receive 10% off your order at checkout.
– October 14 – 16, 2018: SPARK BioHacking Conference, Toronto, Ontario. The 2018 SPARK Bio-Hack Conference features a series of talks by leaders across a range of fields with an eye on optimizing human performance, recovery, and longevity. Researchers, medical specialists and other biohacking experts will share provocative, informative, and inspiring presentations meant to amplify your life. Registration is now open, secure your spot here.
– October 11 – 14, 2018: 2018 RUNGA California Immersion Retreat, Napa, California. Runga is going to Napa! Join me, my wife, Jessa, Joe DiStefano and a small, intimate group of like-minded individuals for a weekend-long getaway. We’ve rented a beautiful mansion located in one of the most iconic countrysides in America– Napa Valley. We’ve thought of everything that you could possibly need to gently “press the reboot button” on your body and completely tune in to your heart, mind, body, strength, and spirit. Join the waitlist!
– November 1 – 4, 2018: Live It To Lead It Health Centers of the Future Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada. Create the life you want, the marriage you want, the family you want—all fueled by a practice that radically changes the lives of your patients. this three-day event, you’ll learn the latest medical discoveries in cellular health, get a marketing plan for scaling your practice and find ways to build residual passive income. Join me!
– December 2-8, 2018: RUNGA Retreat, Dominican Republic. You're invited to join me at RUNGA in December 2018. Join me in the Dominican Republic, one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean, for this retreat. In all RUNGA activities, RUNGA invites you to come home to yourself. To see everything you'll be getting into, just click here. Use code BEN when you register so you get your gift when you arrive! I'll be there, too. Join the waitlist here.
– December 13-15, 2018: World Congress 2018 Hosted by the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine. If you attend any conference this year, make it the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine’s 26th Annual World Congress. The fact is, in an era of andropause, low drive and deteriorating men's health, it's shocking that both practitioners and the public aren't aware of ancestral wisdom and modern scientific and medical tactics that can be used to optimize male physiology. It's time that changed, and I'll be teaching exactly how to make men, men again. Join me!
This Week's Most Popular Instagram Pic:
View this post on Instagram
Here was tonight’s tennis work out for you racquet swinging couples out there: after a quick warm-up, one game of 21 ground strokes only. Switch sides, then play to 15. Switch sides then play to 11. Switch sides then play to seven. Finish with 1 to 2 rounds of mini tennis in service box only to 11. Bout a 45 minute hit and good for a quick pre dinner date! #tennis
This Week's Most Popular Tweet:
Well, well, well – the FDA just approved magic mushrooms…https://t.co/VryaFrZiWT
— Ben Greenfield (@bengreenfield) September 5, 2018
This Week's Most Popular Facebook Post:
These are 12 proven ways to recover faster so that you can train better: https://goo.gl/Qs4A9j
Posted by Ben Greenfield Fitness on Tuesday, September 4, 2018
This Week's Most Popular Snapchat Story:
This week on Snapchat I am showing you Japan from my POV. So far I've eaten delicious food, and even found wild bitter melon, a main ingredient in Kion Lean that supports healthy blood glucose. Add me here on Snapchat to follow along!
This Week's Most Popular Pin from Pinterest:
I created the *NEW* Kion Clean Energy Bar because, unfortunately, most energy bars are HORRIBLE: full of sugar and starch, which can cause dreaded sugar crashes. Or, if the sugar is removed, it’s often replaced with nasty artificial sweeteners that kill gut bacteria and cause neurotoxicity.
Each and every tasty bite of the Kion Clean Energy Bar gives you the guilt-free confidence and guarantee that you're biting into:
- a clean-burning bar that will “hold up” under rigorous conditions of people living hard-charging, high-achieving lives…
- a low-carb, high-fat, moderate-protein bar with zero dairy, zero whey protein isolate, and instead contain a clean hypoallergenic protein source…
- a bar that is low in lectins and free of gluten, saponins and other notorious gut assailants…
- a bar that has plenty of minerals and electrolytes along with perfect amounts of fiber to keep you from getting the notorious “energy bar constipation…”
- a bar that supports recovery with sufficient levels of all essential amino acids and antioxidants, without excess protein that can result in gut issues…
- a bar that contains just enough carbohydrate for liver and muscle glycogen restoration and appetite satiety, without sugar crashes…
In short, Kion Bar will give you all the nutrients, minerals, deliciousness and appetite satisfaction that you desire in a bar, with none of the harmful ingredients. Try Kion Clean Energy Bar today.
Need Help Fully Optimizing Your Brain & Body?
Did you know you can consult one-on-one with me so that I can personalize a nutrition or fitness plan for you to reach your goals? Are you training for physical performance? Trying to shed fat or gain lean muscle as fast as possible? Ready to tap into the most cutting-edge health, fitness and longevity protocols? Contact me so I can get you exactly what you need to reach your goals as safely and quickly as possible.
Leave your comments below – and any news or discoveries that you think I missed!