Welcome to Ben Greenfield's Weekly Roundup and Cool New Discoveries!
Ben Greenfield's discoveries from the latest news from the fronts of fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, biohacking and anti-aging research. I also recap my upcoming events and special announcements so you can keep up with giveaways, discounts, and more!
New Discoveries Of The Week: Cool New Things I'm Trying, Books I'm Reading, And More!
-Book I’m Reading
Hunting Trips of a Ranchman & The Wilderness Hunter Paperback by Theodore Roosevelt – Good ol' Teddy is one of my favorite presidents (to see how much of a fanboy I am, check out the mug I drink coffee from each morning). And as a bowhunter and outdoors enthusiast, I'm geeking out right now on his tales of ranching and hunting the wilderness. Written during his days as a ranchman in the Dakota Bad Lands, these wilderness tales by Theodore Roosevelt endure today as part of the classic folklore of the West. The narratives – collected in two books – provide vivid portraits of the land as well as the people and animals that inhabited it, underscoring Roosevelt's abiding concerns as a naturalist. The Wilderness Hunter, which came out in 1893, remains perhaps the most detailed account of the grizzly bear ever recorded. Grab 'em here.
-Food I’m Eating
Organic Miso – After coming back from Tokyo, where I had the pleasure of taking a miso-making course (with non-GMO soaked soybeans o' course), I am now officially geeking out on the mighty soybean paste. Like most fermented foods, miso improves the balance of good flora in the digestive tract. But the benefits don't stop there. Miso is chock full of minerals, can lower the risk of breast cancer and is very high in antioxidants too. Plus, it lends amazing flavor to just about any stock or soup (or even rice). Here's a very tasty premium, organic, non-GMO white version from Amazon.
-Essential Travel Kit Item
DUDE Wipes – Whether I need to wipe off some sweat or funk when I don't have a chance to shower, need to clean my butt very thoroughly, or want to wash my hands when a sink and soap aren't nearby, DUDE Wipes are my go-to. I first saw these things on Shark Tank, and I order a big box of them just about every two months like clockwork. The inventors hated using toilet paper so they created the flushable DUDE Wipes, which are basically biodegradable wipes specifically designed for cleansing your dude regions, but good for oh-so-much-more.They are 25% larger than the average flushable wet wipes, and they're unscented, with naturally soothing aloe vera and vitamin E to protect your sensitive sides. Treat yourself, and your butt, like the king of the throne with DUDE Wipes. Grab 'em here.
-Text I Received
Viome CEO Naveen Jain – He just texted me yesterday morning with a very good deal. Beginning today, for all my readers and listeners, he has just DOUBLED the discount on the complete microbiome test for your gut, knocking the test from $399 down to $299. Viome allows you to discover exactly what's happening inside you and get a personalized action plan to fix it. The discount automatically applies when you click here and he will keep it active for at least the next week. You'll be blown away by how much your poop can tell you about your body. Enjoy!
Podcasts I Recorded This Week:
Every month, Ben Greenfield releases never-before-seen videos, audios and PDFs inside the BenGreenfieldFitness “Premium” channel (just $10/year to access!). You can click here to go Premium and access an entire vault of protected content!
Articles I Published This Week:
My full article feed and all past archives of my articles are here if you want to check out past articles.
Articles & Podcasts Ben Greenfield Was Featured In This Week:
::: Come Live With Me In A Mansion in Napa :::
A spot just opened up for the private RUNGA Napa retreat I am hosting this October, and if you sign up now, you will receive a FREE Joovv Light when you arrive. Join me, my wife & an intimate group of like-minded individuals for an incredible done-for-you getaway– it's everything you would expect from a retreat designed by myself and my friend Joe Distefano.
- Daily mobility, movement and wellness workshops with Ben Greenfield, Scott Dolly and Joe D.I.
- Intensive breath work, cold immersion and emotional resiliency training
- One-on-one consultation with me
- Small group fitness training, including kettlebell instruction for all levels
- Kundalini yoga and vipassana meditation
- Sourdough bread-making workshop with Jessa Greenfield
- Two manual therapy sessions with Scott Dolly and integrated movement training with Julie Brautigam
- Plant based essentials and raw chocolate workshop with Emilía Rún (and her secrets to some of the world’s best raw, vegan, keto-friendly desserts)
Every year, I am blown away by the transformations that occur during the retreat. The combination of yoga, mindfulness practices, earthing, breath work, human connection, mobility and focus on our pursuit of ultimate health, sets the fertile soil for us to come into our full potential. Plus, every attendee get a free, personal 1-1 consultation with me. This spot will *NOT* last! Couples and individuals welcome! Code “BEN” at signup will get you an extra gift upon your arrival! Sign up here and get your free Joovv light when you sign up.
::: LIVE NOW! Avoid the (Actual, Real) Danger of EMF :::
I probably don’t need to fill you in on why exposure to electrical pollution, electromagnetic fields (EMF), WiFi routers, cell phone signals, cell phone towers, microwave radiation, etc. is so deleterious to your health… and I'm more than a little concerned about it: as a matter of fact, my family and I don't even use WiFi at home.
My friend, Lloyd Burrell has put together this EMF summit where folks like myself, Dr. Mercola and more are going to cover the best strategies to protect yourself from these digital toxins, which can cause mysterious symptoms like headaches host of other conditions. Check it out!
– October 14 – 16, 2018: SPARK BioHacking Conference, Toronto, Ontario. The 2018 SPARK Bio-Hack Conference features a series of talks by leaders across a range of fields with an eye on optimizing human performance, recovery, and longevity. Researchers, medical specialists and other biohacking experts will share provocative, informative, and inspiring presentations meant to amplify your life. Registration is now open, secure your spot here.
– October 11 – 14, 2018: 2018 RUNGA California Immersion Retreat, Napa, California. Runga is going to Napa! Join me, my wife, Jessa, Joe DiStefano and a small, intimate group of like-minded individuals for a weekend-long getaway. We’ve rented a beautiful mansion located in one of the most iconic countrysides in America– Napa Valley. We’ve thought of everything that you could possibly need to gently “press the reboot button” on your body and completely tune in to your heart, mind, body, strength, and spirit. Join the waitlist!
– November 1 – 4, 2018: Live It To Lead It Health Centers of the Future Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada. Create the life you want, the marriage you want, the family you want—all fueled by a practice that radically changes the lives of your patients. this three-day event, you’ll learn the latest medical discoveries in cellular health, get a marketing plan for scaling your practice and find ways to build residual passive income. Join me!
– December 2-8, 2018: RUNGA Retreat, Dominican Republic. You're invited to join me at RUNGA in December 2018. Join me in the Dominican Republic, one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean, for this retreat. In all RUNGA activities, RUNGA invites you to come home to yourself. To see everything you'll be getting into, just click here. Use code BEN when you register so you get your gift when you arrive! I'll be there, too. Join the waitlist here.
– December 14-16, 2018: World Congress 2018 Hosted by the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine, Las Vegas, Nevada. If you attend any conference this year, make it the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine’s 26th Annual World Congress. The fact is, in an era of andropause, low drive and deteriorating men's health, it's shocking that both practitioners and the public aren't aware of ancestral wisdom and modern scientific and medical tactics that can be used to optimize male physiology. It's time that changed, and I'll be teaching exactly how to make men, men again. Join me!
– April 6-7, 2019: FitCon Summit, Salt Lake City, Utah. FitCon® encourages everyone to Find Their Fit. It does not matter whether it is powerlifting, Crossfit, bodybuilding, roller derby, or even axe throwing. Be sure to visit the Kion booth in the expo!
This Week's Most Popular Instagram Pic:
This Week's Most Popular Tweet:
High protein intake reduces ketogenesis not by gluconeogenesis, but anaplerosis– cont'd oxidation of fatty acids through the tricarboxylicacid (TCA) cycle. People eating more protein have more oxaloacetate, less acetyl-CoA buildup, so less ketones: https://t.co/FanYZxIseW
— Ben Greenfield (@bengreenfield) September 18, 2018
This Week's Most Popular Facebook Post:
New pill could see humans live to 150 ‘for the price of a coffee’: https://t.co/KL8KwIFOIy
This Week's Most Popular Snapchat Story:
This week on Snapchat I showed you an indulgent self-care routine which included a special trick for drying my Alitura clay mask with my Joovv light, a magnesium flakes salt bath, and a glass of wine. Add me here on Snapchat to follow along!
This Week's Most Popular Pin from Pinterest:
- Healthy liver function*
- Blood sugar regulation*
- Healthy body fat levels*
- Anti-aging factors associated with longevity*
There are just a handful of true blue zones or longevity hotspots in the world. One is Bama County, located in western China on the slopes of the Himalayas. Amongst Japan’s many islands, the people of Okinawa are also the longest-lived. Okinawa also has a secret very similar to Bama County – and in both Bama County and Okinawa medical researchers have found that key foods play a significant role in the longevity of the inhabitants.
In Bama County, much credit is given to the daily consumption of a plant they call shilianhua, or “rock lotus”. In Okinawa, a role similar to that of rock lotus is filled by “wild bitter melon”. This is not the bitter melon commonly found in many vegetable markets, but a smaller and far more bitter version that grows wild. Both rock lotus and bitter melon are in Kion Lean. So what do the rock lotus and wild bitter melon in Kion Lean have in common that promote optimal blood sugar levels and insulin response that support healthy weight management, liver health, and longevity?*
The answer involves caloric restriction and insulin.
In short, rock lotus and Glycostat® work better in combination. Both promote better blood sugar control with less insulin.* Both promote healthy blood pressure.* Both support healthy liver function.* And both mimic changes in cellular energy metabolism typical of caloric restriction.*
So even if you can’t live in a longevity hotspot such as Bama County or Okinawa, Kion Lean can bring the longevity hotspot to you, all while supporting a healthy, lean physique!
Need Help Fully Optimizing Your Brain & Body?
Did you know you can consult one-on-one with me so that I can personalize a nutrition or fitness plan for you to reach your goals? Are you training for physical performance? Trying to shed fat or gain lean muscle as fast as possible? Ready to tap into the most cutting-edge health, fitness and longevity protocols? Contact me so I can get you exactly what you need to reach your goals as safely and quickly as possible.
Leave your comments below – and any news or discoveries that you think I missed!