Welcome to my Weekly Roundup!
In the weekly roundup, you’re about to discover the most important things I’ve noticed this week, including the latest news from the fronts of fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, biohacking and anti-aging research, the top photos, videos and stories from this week, upcoming events and speaking appearances, giveaways, specials and a host of other things you may have missed.
New Discoveries Of The Week: Cool New Things I’m Trying, Books I’m Reading, And More!
– App: Snore Lab. Last week I told you about Anders Olsson’s excellent breathwork book, and afterwards, Anders alerted me to an easy test you can use to determine if you’re one of those folks who would highly benefit from the deep sleep enhancing effect of mouth-taping during sleep. It is an app called the “Snore Lab“. It costs $8 and once installed you put your mobile on the bed table next to you to record the sound you make at night, then gives you a score. The lower the score the better. Of course there are many factors affecting our sleep, but for sure poor breathing is an important, and often forgotten aspect. If your score is low, then get yourself a-shoppin’ for mouth tape.
– Mind-Blowing Condiment: Ava Jane’s Avocado Oil. This stuff only goes on sale every few months, and the sale window just blew wide open this week. Turns out the same green, buttery fruit you make guacamole with can create a mind-blowingly tasty cooking oil if produced properly. I guarantee you’ve never experienced a dark, rich avocado oil like this if you’ve been buying your avocado oil at the grocery store. The three main oils in my house are coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, and Ava Jane’s Avocado Oil. If you click here you can get a free bottle.
– Flavor Trick: Trace minerals in your coffee. My friend Mark Sisson alerted me to this 2014 study that found that specific minerals in the water you use to brew your coffee can affect the water hardness and make a big difference in the flavor of your coffee. For example, too much bicarbonate or sodium is bad for coffee flavor. But magnesium is good for the flavor because it enhances the transfer of the flavor from coffee beans into the water (and, theoretically, other healthy compounds from the coffee too). The trick? Add a few drops of trace liquid minerals to your coffee. Although my new Kion Coffee is already really damn flavorful, I tried this trick in my French Press and I must say – it works! These are the minerals I used.
Podcasts I Recorded This Week
Every month, I release never-before-seen videos, audios and .pdf’s inside the BenGreenfieldFitness “Premium” channel (just $10/year to access!). You can click here to go Premium and access an entire vault of protected content!
Articles I Published This Week:
My full article feed and all past archives of my articles are here if you want to check out past articles.
Articles & Podcasts I Was Featured In This Week:
::: Last Call! Race With The Greenfields at the SoCal Spartan Sprint in Big Bear This Weekend :::
Join me and my wife, Jessa, for the 12:00 PM Spartan Sprint on Sunday, May 20, in Big Bear, California. This will be a fun way to tackle the race for beginners and experienced competitors alike. I will lead you in the charge through the hills along with Jessa, taking you through each element of the course and we’ll get muddy together taking down each obstacle along the way. There’s even a chance to throw back a gluten-free beer together during lunch afterwards!
If you haven’t yet, register with “TEAM KION” from the registration drop-down for the 12 PM heat (the only heat with available spots still) here and save 10% on your registration with code “TEAMKION” at checkout. I will have tattoos on hand! If you have registration questions, shoot me an email or leave a comment on this post!
::: Organifi Giveaway Winners Have Been Contacted :::
Thank you for leaving your thoughtful comments on my social channels for the Organifi giveaway last week! The winners have been contacted, however, you can still save 20% on any Organifi purchase using code “GREENFIELD” at checkout. This week on Instagram, I also showed you exactly how I make my Organifi Gold Elixir. Here’s a previous video I published that has my recipe, but essentially, I wanted to do something different with Organifi Gold and this delicious concoction is a pretty potent, creamy smoothie that’s perfect for satiating myself while I’m working. What else can I tell you about Organifi Gold? It makes for a perfect nighttime warm relaxation beverage. Reducing stress and getting sound sleep are some of the absolute best things you can do for your health and this is exactly what Organifi Gold is great for! Get yours here for 20% off.
::: Save $75 on the Halo Sport :::
This week I told you exactly why I consider the Halo Sport to be the most “dangerous” piece of training equipment I own; it allows me to push my body and brain to levels I’d never be able to reach on my own. It not only puts you in the zone but makes you relatively impervious to extreme workout discomfort. It’s almost unfair. I train with it 1 x per week and I swear by it. Listen to my podcast episode with Halo Neuroscience, the makers of this powerful tool for biohacking your workout and during our discussion, you will discover:
-How something called transcranial direct current stimulation, also known as tDCS, can be used to stimulate certain section of your brain…
-Why workouts and skill acquisition actually feel easier after you “shock your brain”…
-The pro athletes currently using the Halo and what they have reported for results…
And more! Halo is dropping the price on their technology just for you. Use code GREENFIELD here to save $75 on the Halo Sport
::: Join Me in SWITZERLAND! for a Detox Retreat :::
If you often plan your travel far in advance like I do, this announcement is for you. In July 2019, I am heading to Switzerland for a detox retreat with the one and only Robyn Openshaw, and you are invited. Join us for an immersive experience including total liver detox and rest and relaxation at the beautiful Paracelsus Clinic al Ronc in the Italian quarter of Switzerland. You will stay on-site and receive diagnostics and treatments from the best doctors of biological medicine to detox your liver and your soul. Plus you’re going to have a wonderful time hiking, sightseeing and enjoying one of the most beautiful places in the world. Get all the info here!
– May 19-20, 2018: Socal Beast and Sprint Weekend, Big Bear Lake, California. Big Bear Mountain Resort is a ski area in Southern California. Care to take a guess why ski areas make such great venues for Spartan Races? That’s right…hills! See the special announcements section below about an opportunity to race with me and my wife, Jessa in the Sunday Sprint!
– May 26, 2018: Train to Hunt, Bonners Ferry, Idaho. Whether you’re a flatlander, hunt out west, or are past your prime, join me and make yourself a better hunter through fitness. Sign up to join me here!
– May 31 – June 3, 2018: A-Fest, Sardinia, Italy. A-Fest is an invite-only transformational event that gathers a global tribe of change-makers and visionaries who are driven by epic ideas to impact the world. Apply now to get invited.
– June 28 – July 22, 2018: Mind Valley U, Tallinn, Estonia. Mindvalley U is a month-long transformational event that is designed to create a university style education model for all ages. It’s a reimagining of college, community, curriculum, and campus. Best of all it’s available for all ages – whether you are 9 or 90. This will be one of those things you look back on and say: it changed my life. Mind Valley U will be held in Tallinn, Estonia. Did you know the incredible medieval city of Tallinn, Estonia is known for being a city with the highest number of startups per capita and one of the most cutting-edge tech nations on the face of the planet? Sign up, join me, and transform your life!
– July 19, 2018: Ancestral Health Symposium, Bozeman, Montana. “AHS” is a scientific conference which provides a forum for learning and discussion on all areas of human health. With evolutionary mismatch as a unifying theory, speakers present on topics including diet, movement, sleep, stress, epigenetics, and more. Join me this summer!
– August 17 – 19, 2018: Colorado Rockies Ultra Beast and Sprint Weekend, Breckenridge, Colorado. The mountain is calling! This is an extra-special Spartan race. Team members from my company, Kion, and I are competing together in the beautiful Rocky Mountains. Experience the immense beauty of Colorado while conquering climbs, crawls, carries and traverses. See you there!
– October 5-7, 2018: SPARK BioHacking Conference, Toronto, Ontario. The 2018 SPARK Bio-Hack Conference features a series of talks by leaders across a range of fields with an eye on optimizing human performance, recovery, and longevity. Researchers, medical specialists and other biohacking experts will share provocative, informative, and inspiring presentations meant to invigorate your curiosity about health and amplify your life journey. Registration is now open, secure your spot here.
– October 11 – 14, 2018: 2018 RUNGA California Immersion Retreat. Runga is going to Napa! Join me, my wife, Jessa, Joe DiStefano and a small, intimate group of like-minded individuals for a weekend-long getaway. We’ve rented a beautiful mansion located on the ridge between Napa and Sonoma valley in one of the most iconic countrysides in America. We’ve thought of everything that you could possibly need to gently “press the reboot button” on your body and completely tune in to your heart, mind, body, strength, and spirit. Join the waitlist!
– December 2-8, 2018: RUNGA Retreat, Balaji Palace, Dominican Republic. One of the most kick-ass events of the year is happening again. You’re invited to join me at RUNGA in December 2018. The retreat will be held in the Dominican Republic, at one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean. In all RUNGA activities, RUNGA invites you to come home to yourself. To see everything you’ll be getting into, just click here. Use code BEN when you register for a surprise gift when you arrive! I’ll be there, too. Join the waitlist here.
This Week’s Most Popular Instagram Pic:
View this post on Instagram
Yesterday at Docere Clinics I was heavily sedated for hours for one of the single most potent biohacks I ever experienced, essentially a “Full Body Make-Over" with stem cells as an attempt to replenish all the moving parts of the musculoskeletal system with stem cells and signaling proteins. Harry Adelson, a naturopathic doctor, opened Docere Clinics in Salt Lake City in 2002 and from day one, his practice has been 100% regenerative injection therapies for the treatment of musculoskeletal pain conditions. In 2006 he incorporated platelet-rich plasma and ultrasound-guided injection into his armamentarium, in 2010, bone marrow aspirate concentrate and adipose-derived stem cells, and in 2013, fluoroscopic-guided injection (motion X-ray). Since February of 2010, Dr. Adelson has performed over 4,000 bone marrow and adipose-derived adult stem cell procedures, placing him among those most experienced in the world with the use of autologous stem cells for the treatment of musculoskeletal pain conditions. Stay tuned for an upcoming podcast where Harry and I will take a deep dive into everything this procedure entails and what makes this the single most comprehensive stem cell procedure ever conceived. This is the link to Harry's clinic in Park City, UT. (link in bio, too) www.docereclinics.com #stemcells #stemcelltherapy #regenerativemedicine #medicine #biohacking #bengreenfield #fitness #health #alternativemedicine #painmanagement #chronicpain #naturopath #holistichealth #healthylifestyle
This Week’s Most Popular Tweet:
How to Breathe More Effectively https://t.co/EVhjeG8HBT
— Ben Greenfield (@bengreenfield) May 16, 2018
This Week’s Most Popular Facebook Post:
Let the hilarity ensue. This what yours truly acts like in a post surgery stupor. Please don’t judge. I was literally out of my mind…and the video begins right after I tell everyone that I had “a confession to make”… And then I told then that “I am French“.
Posted by Ben Greenfield Fitness on Monday, May 14, 2018
This Week’s Most Popular Snapchat Story:
This week on Snapchat, I showed you exactly what I do to get digestion back on track after traveling. I like to mix Lost Empire Herbs Triphala with Organifi’s Gold powder for a warming, relaxing evening beverage. In Ayurveda, the colon is the seat of good health. Triphala has been used for thousands of years in India. Regular consumption of triphala gently and slowly purifies the entire digestive system, rejuvenating down to the cellular level.Be the first to follow my unique experiences by joining me on Snapchat!
This Week’s Most Popular Pin from Pinterest:
- Healthy liver function*
- Blood sugar regulation*
- Healthy body fat levels*
- Anti-aging factors associated with longevity*
So what do the rock lotus and wild bitter melon in Kion Lean have in common that promote optimal blood sugar levels and insulin response that support healthy weight management, liver health, and longevity?* The answer involves caloric restriction and insulin. In short, rock lotus and Glycostat® work better in combination. Both promote better blood sugar control with less insulin.* Both promote healthy blood pressure.* Both support healthy liver function.* And both mimic changes in cellular energy metabolism typical of caloric restriction.* So even if you can’t live in a longevity hotspot such as Bama County or Okinawa, Kion Lean can bring the longevity hotspot to you, all while supporting a healthy, lean physique!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Need Help Fully Optimizing Your Brain & Body? This Should Do The Trick:
Did you know you can consult one-on-one, with me? Whether you’re training for an amazing feat of physical performance, you’re trying to shed fat or gain lean muscle as fast as possible, or you want to tap into the most cutting-edge health, anti-aging and longevity protocols, coaching with me is designed to enhance your physical and mental performance at the highest level. With detailed instructions, guidance, and planning, you’ll get instant access to every training, nutrition, and lifestyle technique that exists to optimize your life, make you indestructible and get you to your goals as safely and quickly as possible.
Leave any questions or comments below – or any news of the week that you think I should have added – and I will be sure to reply.