Welcome to Ben Greenfield’s Weekly Roundup and Cool New Discoveries!
Ben Greenfield’s discoveries from the latest news from the fronts of fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, biohacking and anti-aging research. I also recap my upcoming events and special announcements so you can keep up with giveaways, discounts, and more!
New Discoveries Of The Week: Cool New Things I’m Trying, Books I’m Reading, And More!
– Nicotine Gum I’m Chewing
As you learned in Podcast #390, fresh off the presses this week, I’m a fan of nicotine as a relatively safe nootropic. Nicotine has been studied and shown to play a beneficial role for conditions such as ADHD, anxiety disorders, depression, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, dementia, and even cognitive performance in the general population. It’s also a cheap and easy cognitive performance enhancement aid. When it comes to a decent gum option, I’ve reviewed the ingredients label of all the brands out there, and Habitrol seems like the “lesser of the evils” when it comes to somewhat low amounts of artificial sweeteners and chemicals. It’s not perfect (someone needs to invent a stevia-flavored nicotine gum – just sayin’) but is a pretty decent option. I chomp on 1-2 pieces of the 2mg version per day. You can get it here on Amazon.
– New Food I’m Eating
Kitchari – As I recently posted to Instagram, I’m doing a bit of a liver cleanse this week, and having kitchari for lunch and dinner. In India, Kitchari means “mixture”, and is a pot meal primarily composed of lentils or mung beans and rice, traditionally made with a little ghee (clarified butter) or coconut oil and a variety of spices. It is simple, easy to digest, and because it combines legumes with grains, a complete source of protein. It is often taken as a fast, in which a person will consume only kitchari for a number of days, to aid in the clearance of toxins and strengthen their digestive fire – and is also given therapeutically as part of “panchakarma” – Ayurveda’s ancient mind-body, cleansing and rejuvenation practice to strengthen the digestive and immune systems, a practice I discuss in this podcast episode with Dr. Stephen Cabral.
Here is a Kitchari recipe I’ve been using for 3-4 servings (click here for more details):
½ cup split yellow mung beans
½ cup white basmati rice
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1-inch stick of kombu
4 cups homemade vegetable stock or water
2 tablespoons coconut cream
1½ teaspoons cumin seeds
1½ teaspoons fennel seeds
1½ teaspoons coriander powder
1 tablespoon ginger root freshly minced
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
¼ teaspoon black mustard seeds
Pinch of asafoetida
2 cups of any mixed vegetables I used bok choy, cilantro and dinosaur kale.
Sea salt to taste
-The night before (24 hours earlier), soak mung beans in ample filtered water.
-When you’re ready to cook, drain the mung beans and rinse under running water. Place rice in a sieve and rinse till the water runs clear. Prepare vegetables by peeling and chopping them up, then set all of this aside.
-Heat coconut oil over medium heat, in a heavy-bottomed pot. Add cumin, fennel, fenugreek and black mustard seeds and cook for a few minutes to release aromatics, and until the mustard seeds have popped. Add the rest of the spices and stir to combine.
-Add a cup of vegetable stock, followed by mung beans, kombu, coconut cream, rice and vegetables, then add the rest of the stock (or water).
-Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to a low heat. Simmer for about 40 minutes. Check the pot periodically as the rice swells and may stick to the bottom. Add more water if you want a soupier consistency, and simmer longer to get a thicker stew.
-Serve with fresh coriander chopped and folded through, a drizzle of fresh lime juice, spoonful of coconut yogurt and sea salt to taste.
– Biohacking Furniture I’m Using
HUMU Augmented Audio Cushion: The Flexound HUMU is a speaker innovation – a “feel sound” speaker – that lets you feel the sound via vibration. Yep – it is sound vibration furniture and transforms sound to your sense of touch while providing you with a 3D audio experience that transmits through your body. HUMU takes your listening experience to a completely new level. Via an “Audio Cushion,” the sky is the limit in terms of ways to use it– lay back and watch a documentary, relax before going to sleep while listening to binaural beats, meditate with peaceful sounds that vibrate your whole body and much, much more! My kids dig it too and you can grab one here. Use the above links in the next 72 hours to save an additional 10%.
Podcasts I Recorded This Week:
Every month, Ben Greenfield releases never-before-seen videos, audios and PDFs inside the BenGreenfieldFitness “Premium” channel (just $10/year to access!). You can click here to go Premium and access an entire vault of protected content!
Articles I Published This Week:
My full article feed and all past archives of my articles are here if you want to check out past articles.
Articles & Podcasts I Was Featured In This Week:
::: Win A 6 Month Supply Of Tru Niagen :::
Increase your cellular energy. Fuel your mitochondria. Help regulate your circadian rhythm. Support muscle recovery.
That’s what NAD does on a biological level, and you can increase your NAD levels (based on clinical studies) with nicotinamide riboside (NR), the key ingredient in Tru Niagen. ***TO WIN*** a 6 month supply of Tru Niagen, comment on of the following Tweet or Facebook or Instagram posts and tell me how your life would change if you had more energy. You can also learn how you can make more NAD with Tru Niagen here. This contest is only open to individuals 18+ and prizes will only be shipped within the US.
::: SPARK BioHacking Conference, Toronto, Ontario :::
The 2018 SPARK Bio-Hack Conference is rapidly approaching. features a series of talks by leaders across a range of fields with an eye on optimizing human performance, recovery, and longevity. Researchers, medical specialists and other biohacking experts will share provocative, informative, and inspiring presentations meant to amplify your life. Registration is now open, secure your spot here.
::: The Ultimate Anti-Aging Diet – The Perfect Foods To Eat Your Way To Longevity :::
Join me on November 13 in Chef David Bouley’s Test Kitchen in New York City for “The Ultimate Anti-Aging Diet – The Perfect Foods To Eat Your Way To Longevity”. Get your ticket here!
This immersive dining and educational culinary experience is part of Bouley’s “the Chef and the Doctor” series. A series of health-focused, multi-course culinary experiences featuring world-renowned doctors and Chef David Bouley. Each event begins with a reception featuring passed canapés and a specialty health tonic cocktail. After the doctor discussion, Chef Bouley will prepare a healthy wine dinner featuring products and ingredients to further enhance the topic of the evening. You’ll learn, wine and dine at Bouley Test Kitchen. This event space features an open kitchen meaning unfiltered access to seeing the Bouley Chefs preparing and cooking your meal! An evening not to be missed!
– October 11 – 14, 2018: 2018 RUNGA California Immersion Retreat, Napa, California. Runga is going to Napa! Join me, my wife, Jessa, Joe DiStefano and a small, intimate group of like-minded individuals for a weekend-long getaway. We’ve rented a beautiful mansion located in one of the most iconic countrysides in America– Napa Valley. We’ve thought of everything that you could possibly need to gently “press the reboot button” on your body and completely tune in to your heart, mind, body, strength, and spirit. Join the waitlist!
– October 14 – 16, 2018: SPARK BioHacking Conference, Toronto, Ontario. The 2018 SPARK Bio-Hack Conference features a series of talks by leaders across a range of fields with an eye on optimizing human performance, recovery, and longevity. Researchers, medical specialists and other biohacking experts will share provocative, informative, and inspiring presentations meant to amplify your life. Registration is now open, secure your spot here.
– October 19-20: Elite Chiropractic Annual Seminar, Chicago, IL. Would you like to experience the rush of an empowered mindset and systems that will create rapid growth? If your practice has plateaued or is stuck, Elite Coaching will rocket you and your team to the next level. Learn the most advanced, effective, researched communication and self-empowering systems in the profession that will inspire the best in you, your team and your patients, right now. It has been proven, in well over 200 offices, to yield consistent and predictable results. Register here!
– October 20, 2018: Toyota Park Stadium Sprint, Bridgeview, IL. For the first time, Spartans will run through the home of the Chicago Fire Soccer Club, a Major League Soccer team and the Chicago Red Stars, a National Women’s Soccer League team. Register here!
– November 2 – 4, 2018: Live It To Lead It Health Centers of the Future Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada. Create the life you want, the marriage you want, the family you want—all fueled by a practice that radically changes the lives of your patients. this three-day event, you’ll learn the latest medical discoveries in cellular health, get a marketing plan for scaling your practice and find ways to build residual passive income. Join me!
– November 10 – 11, 2018: Fenway Park Stadium Sprint, Boston, MA. Spartans are invited to participate in the Fenway Sprint over two days, November 10th and 11th. Gain unprecedented access to previously closed off areas of America’s Most Beloved Ballpark. Join me!
– November 13, 2018: The Chef and The Doctor Series, New York City, NY. Join me in Chef Bouley’s Test Kitchen for “The Ultimate Anti-Aging Diet – The Perfect Foods To Eat Your Way To Longevity”. Get your ticket here!
– December 1, 2018: AT&T Park Stadium Sprint, San Francisco, CA. Can you feel the energy, San Fran? Run around the concourse. Rope climb in the outfield. Do burpees in the dugout. Challenge yourself to three miles that will include 20+ signature obstacles. Join me and register here.
– December 2-8, 2018: RUNGA Retreat, Dominican Republic. You’re invited to join me at RUNGA in December 2018. Join me in the Dominican Republic, one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean, for this retreat. In all RUNGA activities, RUNGA invites you to come home to yourself. To see everything you’ll be getting into, just click here. Use code BEN when you register so you get your gift when you arrive! I’ll be there, too. Join the waitlist here.
– December 13-15, 2018: World Congress 2018 Hosted by the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine, Las Vegas, Nevada. If you attend any conference this year, make it the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine’s 26th Annual World Congress. The fact is, in an era of andropause, low drive and deteriorating men’s health, it’s shocking that both practitioners and the public aren’t aware of ancestral wisdom and modern scientific and medical tactics that can be used to optimize male physiology. It’s time that changed, and I’ll be teaching exactly how to make men, men again. Join me!
– April 6-7, 2019: FitCon Summit, Salt Lake City, Utah. FitCon® encourages everyone to Find Their Fit. It does not matter whether it is powerlifting, Crossfit, bodybuilding, roller derby, or even axe throwing. Be sure to visit the Kion booth in the expo!
This Week’s Most Popular Instagram Pic:
View this post on Instagram
This morning I am vying for the title of "Fittest CEO" in the @spartan Race Fittest CEO Challenge. The course is 9 miles and includes all the #Spartan obstacles one would expect to find–climbing walls, bucket carry, spear throw, tire flip, and much more. Keep an eye on the Spartan Race Live Updates page and cheer me on! #AROO ;) #SpartanWC2018 #SpartanRace #Tahoe #spartanworldchampionship @bose #soundofspartan Thanks to my 2018 Race Sponsors! Deepest gratitude and a big shout out to my 2018 race sponsors! — FitVineWine: BenGreenfieldFitness.com/fitvinewine Instagram: @FitVine_Wine Facebook: @FitVineWine #fitvinewine “greenfield10” for 10% off your order — BioTropic: BenGreenfieldFitness.com/biotropic Instagram: @biotropics Facebook: @BioTropicLabs #biotropiclabs 20% off your order with code “ben” — Neurohacker: BenGreenfieldFitness.com/qualia Instagram: @Neurohacker Facebook: @neurohackercollective #neurohacker 15% off your first purchase with code “greenfield2018” — Organifi: BenGreenfieldFitness.com/organifi Instagram: @Organifi Facebook: @Organifi #organifi #liveorganically 20% off your order with code “BEN” — Joovv: BenGreenfieldFitness.com/joovv Instagram: @joovvsocial Facebook: @joovvsocial #joovv, #joovvin, #joovvsocial #lighttherapy $25 off your order with code “BEN” — OralIV: BenGreenfieldFitness.com/hydrate Instagram: @oraliv Facebook: @oraliv #oraliv #poweredbyoraliv #waterswingman 20% off with discount code “BEN20” — Spartan Race: BenGreenfieldFitness.com/SpartanEvents Facebook: @SpartanRace Instagram: @SpartanRace #Spartan #SpartanRace #Aroo
This Week’s Most Popular Tweet:
Beginning yesterday, I'm doing a liver cleanse for the entire week (ironically, before I enter in the Vegas den of hedonism for UFC 229). As part of the cleanse, I am eating the Ayurvedic… https://t.co/EgZn2Xl3DX
— Ben Greenfield (@bengreenfield) October 2, 2018
This Week’s Most Popular Facebook Post:
For the past four months, every two weeks, I have been wandering over to my refrigerator, fetching a vial of pig…
This Week’s Most Popular Snapchat Story:
This week on Snapchat I told you about my morning detox drink consisting of fresh celery juice, Kion Aminos, Organifi Green Juice along with some malic acid to get things moving. Add me here on Snapchat to follow along!
This Week’s Most Popular Pin from Pinterest:
LivingFuel SuperEssentials Fish Oil – Healthy for the Heart, Brain and So Much More!*
Evidence for the heart and brain health benefits from omega-3 fish oil is undeniable.* But LivingFuel SuperEssentials® Omega 3EDA+ does not stop there. It is far more than just fish oil; it is a sophisticated Antioxidant Essential Fatty Acids supplement and it’s ideal for the entire family.
SuperEssentials® Omega 3EDA+ is formulated to:
- Promote healthy brain and heart function*
- Support healthy circulation*
- Support the body’s healthy response to inflammation*
- Enhance mood*
While it does contain ultra-pure fish oils in their natural triglyceride form, it also contains protective Omega-6 GLA from borage seed oil, the powerful antioxidants Vitamin D and Vitamin A, full-spectrum Vitamin E tocopherols and tocotrienols, and the super powerful carotenoid Astaxanthin. SuperEssentials® is the perfect complement to LivingFuel’s functional superfoods and comes in easy-to-swallow buffalo gelatin capsules.
Conventional fish oil supplements contain significantly more EPA than DHA (typically a 3:2 EPA:DHA ratio), but SuperEssentials® Omega 3EDA+ contains additional DHA that gives it a 1:1 EPA:DHA ratio. Mounting research suggests that higher levels of DHA are optimal for human health, supporting the new 1:1 ratio.
When it comes to omega-3 fatty acids, not all fish oils are created equal. The best quality Omega-3 fats like those in SuperEssentials® Omega 3EDA+ come from small fish like sardines and anchovies that thrive in cold waters. Unfortunately, many of the supplements lining the aisles of health food stores contain inexpensive fish oils from large fish that swim in suspect waters. Plus, they often contain fillers and synthetic materials that can rob the body of nutrition.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Need Help Fully Optimizing Your Brain & Body?
Did you know you can consult one-on-one with me so that I can personalize a nutrition or fitness plan for you to reach your goals? Are you training for physical performance? Trying to shed fat or gain lean muscle as fast as possible? Ready to tap into the most cutting-edge health, fitness and longevity protocols? Contact me so I can get you exactly what you need to reach your goals as safely and quickly as possible.
Leave your comments below – and any news or discoveries that you think I missed!